1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lin play PG full time or be replaced?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Jan 21, 2013.

1. New

I think the coaches' jobs are in jeopardy now. We are playing like there is no tomorrow and harden is the only hope. Instead of trying to devekop the players, the coach is trying desperately to have a win at all costs.

I think we are not going to have A developed rockets until the coaching team changes..

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

wow I'm actually pissed off at this post, 10/10 I'm ****ing raging

3. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Lin is in the worst situation as far as his role on the team is concerned. Harden is playing main PG for this team, also even when Harden is on the bench resting, Parsons, Delfino, Douglas are all making plays when he was on the court with them. He oftentimes doesn't get to touch the ball or doesn't get the ball back when he passes out, leaving him ice cold without rhythm. To make things worse, he can't catch and shoot and he mainly makes dribble shots.

In McHale/Sampson's offense, as long as Harden being the main PG and offense run through him, they really don't care who brings the ball up and who makes the rest plays. Lin's traditional PG skills is not that much needed with the several playmaking-capable players we have on the court.

As much as I want Lin to stay with the Rockets because I love this team, it's best for Lin and his development to be traded to another team where he doesn't have to share the PG duties with several other players on the court. Even being a bench player for another team where he gets to controls the ball is better. The worst thing for Lin is to waste his time here used as a spot up shooter even when he can shoot decent 3s next season, because without him playing much PG, he would not be able to fully develop to a good PG. And not being able to use his strength of good court vision, passing and PnR skills would be such a pity.

Morey didn't anticipate Harden's trade (and Lin's regressed jumpers either). Lin didn't anticipate his role on the team could be drastically changed to a non-ball dominant role. The current situation is just a mess. :(

4. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Is this true? I thought he was a great shooter off the court. Who's telling the truth!
    That's what I also said the other day roxxy, we need Jeremy to (at the moment anyway) only attempt 3pts off the dribble at the top of the key with a screen. It's been his most efficient 3pt attempt. Maybe that will get his spot up 3's going hmm.

I believe so, ugh McHale's contract cannot end soon enough! :(

I would love that, because the minutes he's playing right now are ridiculous and I blame exactly that for the shooting slump he's going through right now.
    I'd also like for the few minutes that they coincide on the floor for Jeremy to still handle all PG duties while Harden plays, of course, SG. It'd be great imo.

While we should take this with a grain of a salt as it is from a Lin fan's perspective, I wouldn't find it surprising if it was true. I know y'all remember that one time they were in a huddle, (Lin was starting to finally play well) and McHale pointed to Toney to start the quarter and Lin rushed to McHale clearly saying he wanted to stay in and McHale just sorta brushed him off like "yeah, yeah, its ok Jeremy" and Lin was like :( lol
    In the words of Anthony Carter "But he had a good assistant coaching staff that was helping him with a lot of plays. He kind of let us run whatever we wanted. He was trying to draw plays, and it was like a little Etch a Sketch."
    Looks like McHale hasn't grown much as a coach. :rolleyes:

5. kcal

kcal Member

lol! right on man, thanks for the lulz. :grin:

6. stefanb

stefanb Member

Jeremy Lin fanatics have a lot in common with Royce White.

7. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

BR - Will Jeremy Lin Be a Lifelong Rocket?
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1494153-will-jeremy-lin-be-a-lifelong-rocket

By the way, I love this team but I think it will be better off if they will trade Jeremy.

8. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

This is true all true.

What's weird is that Morey has signed two slashing, play-making PGs with mediocre outside range, but McHale has been playing a non-PG offense that depends on a PG having elite 3-point range and one that isn't necessarily elite in PNRs and slashing.

This isn't just because of the Harden signing either, this was an active coaching decision made prior to his acquisition, likely because he lost both his PGs last year. So now we initiate our offense through our wings.

There's clearly a disconnect between management and coaching here.

9. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

I would rep just about all your posts if it was possible! but again you hit the nail on the freakin' head. Why have they regressed to such an ugly, predictable offense when we we had a great one working during the short but awesome little winning streak we had going? WHY!?
    From what I've seen, it looks like the coaches have little patience with his mistakes and therefore have reverted to putting Lin in a short leash. Tough love I guess? :(

I mean...who isn't?
    [​IMG]

Now Aruba77, there's no need to exaggerate. I ask you seriously, do you believe he is being used properly as a PG or at least the way he was used during his time in NY and the Spurs game?
    If he's creating more doubters, I don't think they know or watch much basketball in the first place so who cares. People that watched him thrive and know what he is capable of are aware or at least giving him the benefit of the doubt for why he is struggling, seeing as how he is not playing PG, there's no solid screens/PnR, and has been mostly used as a spot up shooter.
    It's like asking Asik to shoot mid-range jumpers like he's Marc or Pau Gasol. That's not his role, he wasn't brought here to do that. Lin's role here is completely different than that he had in NY, so isn't it a bit unfair to just brush off his great run as a mere "hallucination"?

10. kreia

kreia Member

Jesus I hate threads like this, the Patterson one is terrible as well. In this thread we have Lin fans regurgitating the same crap about Lin not being used correctly by the coaches and we have a bunch of vets/skeptics who are too emotionally invested in the team to really see what's happening at a level deeper than 'offensive liability'.

First off, nobody on this team deserves to be thrown under the bus, that includes our PFs, our coaches, Harden, Asik and definitely Lin. People are forgetting that there's like three players or something from this team who were here last year. We blew it up, and so we threw a bunch of young guns together who don't fit well NOW, but that's the point. They're YOUNG. That's the key idea, they're going to adjust their game to each other, that's why Morey is probably not gonna make a move anytime soon. Right now, the best thing that could possibly happen for our team is happening, the weaknesses of some of our most important players in the future (everyone in the rotation plus Jones and donuts), especially Lin, are being exposed, and that's critical to their development. Because of this, they'll grow to become better all-round players, and also to fit each other better.

With Lin, his production is inconsistent right now because he does not fit his teammates RIGHT NOW, and they don't really fit him RIGHT NOW. His weaknesses are magnified in this current setup. Obviously there's the 3 point shooting, but he didn't need to rely on that last year, at all. Right now, defenses aren't playing Asik and Patterson in a way that is advantageous to Lin (not their fault, pnr isn't their game RIGHT NOW), and the floater/runner he used last year isn't viable for the looks he's getting now in paint, which is one of the big reasons he keeps on picking up his dribble once he gets there, so that's one clear area he needs to work on, a versatile floater. One aspect of his strength is being exposed as a weakness, because we lack a offensively sound big in the starting lineup (Asik and patpat will work on this). This is GOOD, ultimately this means he'll become a more versatile, reliable player. He won't have to rely on G.Smith or Tyson Chandler to be threats inside so he can operate effectively. Versatility will bring consistency for Lin, and that goes for everyone on this squad. This is just like, one example of the many adjustments everyone is going to make for each other on this team.

As Lin makes these adjustments to his teammates over the next year or so, he'll become a bit more productive and a lot more consistent. When Lin becomes a 32%+ 3 point shooter, his production will spike. When we get a serious interior threat, be it internally or from a trade/FA, his production will spike again. So just be patient. This is a great opportunity for Lin and the Rockets, as this team is Lin's best chance to have a relevant career.

This year is going to be the most important year of development for our core of Lin, Harden, Parsons, Asik, and it'll be a fun, up and down ride. Just ****in sit back and enjoy it, knowing that we're gonna be good enough for WCF when we peak in a few years (sorry, but I fully believe you need the King, KD, CP3 or Pop to actually contend).

11. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Question is are they being developed correctly? (i.e. harden playing excessive minutes, benching lin, setting no picks, ISO ISO ISO all day)

development means for me:
    1. running set plays - does not matter if it works or not. at least they are trying.
    2. playing rooks
    3. managing minutes to get the most out of each player.
    4. letting them play out thier mistakes.

but from what I have been seeing is:
    1. Pass the ball to harden and get out of the way.
    2. ISO ISO ISO for harden.
    3. play harden for 40 minutes.
    4. try to get a win any way we can.

12. filtrus

filtrus Member

We had a good combo PG last year and we didnt sign them for the chinese money...

Let Dragic leave was a bad mistake.

Now we have 2 PG in team, Beverly and Douglas, so thinking about TEMA and not about marketing, we should try to give Lin away in a trade... soon

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

How's iso'ing Harden and getting wins not developing him, he's gonna be a number 1 option on this team, he needs to ISO like Kobe, Lebron, Melo etc.

14. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Because he will just end up dead tired and injury prone...

Harden was NOT conditioned during the pre-season to be a starter and play 40 mins a game... you have to be conditioned very well to be playing at that level...

Kobe, Lebron and Melo has always played starter minutes thus thier bodies are conditioned to be able to play at that level.

15. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

As I know Chris Finch is the offensive coach.

16. gengar

gengar Member

Well the coaching staff and the Owner are separate entities...

It's not like there's someone actively looking to ruin Jeremy's career. I think he's trying to say that the coaches never liked Lin from the beginning, and was forced to play him because of the owner. They don't think he's good, and they don't trust him in games so they make him play a very minor role even though he's the PG.

Rumors and rumors, but that observation by one fan really tried to be non-subjective and reported simply what he saw

17. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

A lot of people including rockets fans and NBA analyzers said the rox' winning rate would be between 300 - 400. That is our coaches and players are already playing about the expectation. It is interesting that people are still trolling jlin, mchale and morey and want them to be traded or fired.

18. Jedster

Jedster Member

One of the most interesting things I've read these couple of days, and it brought out all sorts of feelings in me.

Thanks for posting it. Good read.

19. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Harden is clearly the better option.

Lin: FG% 42.3 3P% 28.1 FT% 77.0 RPG 3.8 APG 6.0 PPG 12.0

Harden: FG% 43.3 3P% 32.4 FT% 85.3 RPG 4.5 APG 5.4 PPG 25.9

Usage also usually reduces efficiency so Lin would not just be able to double his numbers with double the shots and usage...

20. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Lin fans just want to blame someone because they put Lin up on a heroes pedestal like he was going to be the next big thing.

Let's get back to reality! McHale and coaching staff desperately want this team to improve and win. They aren't waking up in the morning and plotting Lin's demise. I've seen this rubbish over and over on here and other ball forums.

Sometimes I start wishing they trade Lin just so we can throw these out of nowhere "Rockets fans" that hadn't watched a full NBA game until half way through "Linsanity"... sigh

However, he still has a spot on this team and is one of the core players. He certainly has upside and could be a great player if he gets a reliable jump shot. Currently he seems to work best without Harden hence staggering minutes with Lin on when Harden is off the court more would probably suit the team better while all of our players work on their flaws, including Lin and Harden.

In any case you don't sign a guy for a few years at a decent price and not give it a season just because by mid-season he doesn't quite mesh 100% with another player. Give it some time.