1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lebron be compared to Jordan?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MambaJoe, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

No, forget the comparisons of potential. Jordan competed (and won) in the dunk competition...Lebron did not. Simple reason as that.

Now before you start to spewing crap about "who cares about the dunk competition?!", remember that great players compete. They went head-to-head against peers at their talent level. It's not as much about the dunk as it is about having the guts to accept the challenge of opponents and face fear of losing. Jordan competed, Kobe competed. Hell, even T-Mac competed. They put it all on the line. It seems Lebron is AFRAID of losing. He doesn't have the heart or courage. Hence, there is no way you can compare him to Jordan or even Kobe, EVER. He'll never be elevated to a legendary status in my eyes. The batton was passed from Jordan to Kobe. Who does it go to from Kobe? Not Lebron imo...

Sure, you might say "Magic is a legend and he didn't compete in the dunk competition". Ya, well he wasn't cut out of the same cloth as Jordan, Kobe, or Lebron. Those 3 are the so-called ultra-athletic quintessential scoring guards/forwards. Players like Magic and Dream did their respective thing at their own class level. Unfortunately there is no "block competition" (although I'd love to see big men trying to swat some of these tries from players in the dunk comp lol). For playmakers, there is the "skills challenge" but it's hardly a challenge.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

So the only thing holding him back from being in a Jordan discussion is that he didn't enter a dunk contest? Brilliant.

3. Qball

That and winning a championship :p

4. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

uhhh, if the Cav's won this year shaq would have 5 as well. Duncan also has 4 at the moment too, it's not like kobe is leaps and bounds ahead of his competition in rings. There are other players who have a couple more years to get to Jordans 6.

5. fmp087

fmp087 Member

I see your logic behind competing, but the dunk contest is just a bad example. Lebron can't be mentioned in the same sentence as Jordan until he wins atleast 2-3 championships. The only person that comes close to being compared to Jordan is Kobe (and he was on the right team at the right time, otherwise I don't think you could even make that comparison).

6. Artestsuckskobe

Lebron does what it takes to win..... I honestly cannot believe you question his talent..... he drives so much cause no one can stop him..... NO ONE! his game has all around come together and he just keeps getting better every game... he tries just as hard as anyone..... except maybe DWADE

7. Qball

I think many underestimate what a dunk competition can do to a career. See Nate Robinson. But ya, ok, it was a crappy example but glad you got the message. Lebron would win it even if he did the same stupid tomahawk dunk 5 times. But he still doesn't want to compete cause he's more worried about endorsements than he is about basketball. He doesn't have the heart. If he signs with NY or Nets, that'll be the nail in the coffin.

Don't get me wrong, I despise Kobe too but you gotta give it up to the guy. He's the clear heir to Jordan.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

A dunk contest has absolutely nothing to do with how to judge him on the floor with two teams playing.