1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Kevin McHale lose his job after the first round loss?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, May 3, 2014.

?

Should Kevin McHale lose his job after the first round loss?

1. YES

410 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. NO

38 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I voted "no."

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

Think about this Andrew... It's a 4-0 sweep without a rookie making an unlikely 3pt shot in the final seconds of game 3... And Mario Elie and Olajuwon plus Dwight (invoking Linsanity) filling in due to our coach's incompetence to get this team up for game 5...

Every game was closely contested... and several calls in the series were in our favor... You can't excuse our losses on bad officiating, even if those bad calls came at critical moments in the game... because if our team hadn't played so poorly (mainly Harden, Parsons and Lin except for one game a piece) and our coaching hadn't been so incompetent... those moments would not have been in placed to've been exacerbated by bad calls...

3. GMNot

GMNot Member

Not sure what you are basing that statement on. If Alexander wasn't serious, why go through several coaches? I don't think many would agree with your assessment of their seriousness -- or lack thereof. If I felt they weren't serious I wouldn't follow the team. If you think they aren't serious don't waste your time, energy and emotions. McHale is coming back according to the Chronicle. Maybe you should cut your emotional losses now. (Many Astros fans came to the same conclusion a long time ago.)

I understand that. I just don't invest myself to the point of calling others who may disagree with me morons.

Again, I'm not sure what you are basing that on.

I don't think Anthony is a good fit. It would lead to too many people who need the ball in their hands to be effective. That should most often be the point guard. The Rockets are lacking a more offensive-skilled point guard, primarily. I don't know if Rondo is a good fit either.

I didn't refer to wisdom in my first post. I was just pointing out that there are multiple factors to a team's success... not just the head coach. And likewise, multiple reasons for failures. Two admitted bad calls in two different games didn't help. That's not on the coach. If Parsons had been as effective in the second half as the first in Game 6, it might not have come down to the wire. If Howard hits a couple of more free-throws, it might not have been a nail-biter. There are plays and foul calls in all the games that stifled momentum. If Lin doesn't dribble into trouble at the end of game 4... there are just numerous incidents that can't be put fully on the coach.

I mentioned Rudy earlier because he certainly took heat for making bad coaching decisions in games and yet found a way to win 2 titles... or should I say, Drexler, almost single-handedly was the difference in the second title run. (Good players have a way of making coaches look good.)

Most coaches slap their heads over bonehead plays throughout the season. Good players aren't immune. I just don't happen to think McHale is the sole reason the Rockets lost the series. You and a lot of other fans obviously do.

Players (especially star players) have more to say about who coaches them than fans realize and find ways to get them axed if they want a change. The players know they are as much to blame for this loss as any coaching decisions that might have been questionable. And I think any fan watching the series knows that, too. There are no perfect rosters and coaches.

4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Holy crap if there's any way we can get Thibs we HAVE to!!!
    HAVE TO!!!!
    Pay him double whatever hes making right now, our team would be ridiculous!!!!