1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Houston have NHL team?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by houston#1, Mar 15, 2011.

?

Should Houston have an NHL team?

1. Yes

106 vote(s)
    50.2%
  2. No

105 vote(s)
    49.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Um, Hockey? I like the highlights when they fight...that's about it!

How about a Lingerie football League team for Houston...yeah buddy! lol

2. msn

msn Member

I'd root for the Katy Coyotes.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

big chunk of land between mason and grand parkway that's been empty for years.

4. msn

msn Member

we can totally do this. all we need now is investors.

5. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I wonder what struggling Phoenix Coyotes is doing right now? Are they staying there for one more year? Or will they relocate soon? I havent heard news about them recently.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they have one more year under their lease.

7. msn

msn Member

it'll take us a year to get our stuff sorted, anyway. Katy Coyotes! who's gonna recruit the investors?

8. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I'd rather see the money this would take go to a mass transit system. Gridlock traffic on a Saturday afternoon is bull****.

An above ground lightning rail going from Clear Lake to Woodlands/Kingwood, and out to Katy.

9. MadMax

2 entirely different pools of money...

10. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Point taken. I just don't think Houston would support a hockey team to the point of it becoming a successful NHL franchise. Of 50-100 good childhood friends, 2 played hockey.

I know maybe 4 people now who keep up with hockey, 2 of which are my uncles who grew up in Minnesota.

I was just trying to imply that there are more pressing needs for Houston than having the Tampa Bay Rays of the NHL. Decent team, terrible fan base.

11. MadMax

always more pressing needs for a municipality than having a pro sports team. no argument here on that one.

having said that, i'd like to have an NHL hockey team here.

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

It may not mean anything if/when we get an NHL team but the Aeros are around the top 5 in attendance in the AHL.

13. shsu33

shsu33 Member

So the Nashville fans think the stadium is great? Wow thats awesome, too bad its not. Maybe if fans in Nashville saw newer better stadiums they would have a different opinion. I remember some 'stros fans claiming the Astrodome was a "fine place to play baseball" back in 1998 when the talks of a new baseball stadium started, doesn't make it true.
    Nashville didn't take the Oilers, we ran Bud Adams out, learn your history bro. Adams was giving the city a chance to build a new stadium, the city of Houston wouldn't even put it on the ballot for that @ss. Now we have the Texans, an awesome stadium and an owner that isn't a redneck clown giving fans in other stadiums the finger. We kinda won on that deal, just had to go about 5 years w/o an NFL team. But oh the irony, there's not any irony here, go back to school and learn something. Irony would be if Houston did get the Predators from Nashville years after they got the Oilers from Houston.
    The point I was making is that Nashville is always in talks about moving because they have a history of flirting with the damn idea plus a bankrupsy thing not too long ago. That would be the reason why the Predators are always thrown in the moving conversations. Its really not that difficult to connect those dots. Points that I already made in my "poor thought out statement" that I researched and are actually facts. But anyway, I sure hate to piss off a rabid fan base that pours in 14,000 fans (dunno where greenhippo is getting 16,000 I just checked again, maybe thats ticket sales) a game to a team thats been playing very good hockey the past decade and making the playoffs year in and year out. So comparing them to the Rockets attendance isn't really equal since one is hockey in a smaller city and the other is basketball in a much bigger city. Greenhippo, you really made no point, just sayin.
    I'll check back frequently to see if "what" or "greenhippo" has any other opinions against acual facts but I actually have a life so it might be a sec.

14. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I'll respond that I found those numbers on the web and there is absolutely no way Nashville loves its Predators more than we love our Rockets. I'm surprised no one responded to that actually, you even think its "safe to say", really? I think its safe to say your stupid! The Rockets have had an up and down past decade and we are still doing well (since we actually have a higher attendance but its "safe to say" cause of the 4.6 percentage points higher in stadium filled that Nashville love's their team more). The Predators have been very good (not winning championships, but good) for a whole decade now! They should have fans coming to games. The debate isn't Rockets/Predators anway, its who would support an NHL team better. I think if Houston had an NHL team that made the playoffs year in and out the past decade as well, we would be supporting that team way better than Nashville is and the team would be making more money in Houston.
    BTW, you used Houston's metro population while only using Nashville's city population to try and get your no point across? You must be republican lol. I could say that Nashville has 1.6 million ppl and Houston has 2.1, see how I switched up the metro and city on you now, whoo, doesn't make true though

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Hillarious....

16. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Thought this is a good article for you to read.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2011/08/19/houston-economy-could-support-nhl.html

Houston economy could support NHL team, study shows
    Houston Business Journal
    Date: Friday, August 19, 2011, 12:18pm CDT

Houston should rate highly on the National Hockey League National Hockey League Latest from The Business Journals Ex-Sharks CEO Jamison leads bid to buy CoyotesGlendale won’t sell bonds in next proposed Phoenix Coyotes dealEx-Sabre Drury retires Follow this company ’s shopping list of possible cities to relocate a team.

According to data analyzed by The Business Journals On Numbers for 58 U.S. and Canadian markets that are currently outside the NHL, 22 markets have the necessary income bases to support an NHL team.

The NHL already shifted the Atlanta Thrashers to Canada to become the Winnipeg Jets this summer, and skeptics say more relocations may be necessary for struggling franchises that include Phoenix; Columbus, Ohio; or New York Islanders.

In addition to Houston, the data shows Las Vegas, Orlando and Seattle would be good candidates based on local economies. Click here for the complete methodology.

The study estimated that an NHL team needs an income base of $37.6 billion. Houston, for instance, has total personal income of $281.8 billion, the amount earned by all of its residents in 2010. If the bases for its baseball, football, basketball and soccer franchises are subtracted, there’s $110.2 billion left, well above the threshold for hockey.

Other factors to be considered would be an area’s passion for hockey. Canada has that quality in abundance, but the study found none of its markets did better than 80 points on the financial scale, a borderline score shared by Hamilton, Ont., and Quebec City, two cities that are both lobbying to get NHL teams.

1 person likes this.
  17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Damn, Houston pulls more than its weight. It has more personal income than DFW, which is a larger market and already has an NHL team.

18. Apps

Apps Member

Seattle would be the perfect place, if you think about it. They suffered the recent loss of their NBA team, that article states that their economy could support it, they're more cold-weathered and are very near the Canadian border (i.e. their local culture could more easily latch onto the NHL), a SEA-VAN rivalry would be almost instantaneous and etc.

Regardless of their irrelevant opinion, I don't think too many hockey fans in general are keen on the idea of another Southern NHL team.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seattle might not be as warm as Houston but it generally (last year excepted, I think) doesn't get much snow either...it's not the the type of place where people grow up skating in a frozen pond...because it's drizzling and the pond isn't frozen.

Nor does anybody there really give a crap what goes on in Vancouver. Seattle is very small-townish overall.

20. Predsfan

Predsfan New Member

you can forget the Preds

All of you can just forget the Preds as a team moving to Houston or anyother North America city for that matter. It is clearly obvious that some of you know very little about the Preds. While there is several reason the one and most important reason is the local owners have no intentions relocating the team anywhere. Next the Preds have never filed for bankruptcy. William Del Baggio one of eight owners was charged with fraud and filed bankruptcy on ALL of his debt, this was done after only 5 months of ownership and had nothing to do with the team or its financial state. Next the Preds local owners have made money every year since taking over in 2007. This offseason they have put over 30 million dollars into the arena for upgrades. Also the Preds are in the top 5 for season ticket renewals and in the top 3 for new season ticket holders. Since being in Nashville they are at 88% seating capacity, not great but far from what most thinks.

I really do Houston gets an NHL team someday but I can say for sure that it will not be in the Preds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.