1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should ATW be banned or controlled on this forum

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 1, 2014.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Just shut down the D&D section. Too many sensitive, butthurt, lack of cojones posters in here anyway.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

No because they would then litter the Hangout with stuff that is in this forum. This forum is like an alternative school and everything else is the regular high school. I don't want to see my hangout littered with the garbage that is in this place. :p

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Banning ATW is a joke. Basso or glynch weren't banned in their heydays, so....

The other "concern" is the number of Islam threads.

Well, Islamism should be paid attention to because that's the world we've lived for a long time...beyond 9/11. Just because Dub****'s plan went pear shaped doesn't mean we totally close inward on our mistakes and not focus on the reason why I have be fondled and irradiated in my nether regions everytime I want to fly somewhere.

These threats aren't entirely boogeymen, and they're doing it in the name of Islam. And since my liberties are being taken away in the name of fundamentalism, I think more research and attention should be paid upon why this is happening. Is it real? Is it tangible? Is it a real threat?

I mean how can we claim we want to "spread secularism" now when Bush failed at it so spectacularly that no sane American will pursue direct intervention despite knowing that lobbing missiles won't do an adequate job? That's cognitive dissonance right there.

Too many people willing to ignore the sobering realities and rely on simple models. And I'm not even saying the threat of Islamism is entirely as pervasive as some media pundits would like, but rather considering the idea and weight of it is a mere afterthought.

Dude, you don't even post here often.

It'd be one thing to have the cojones to post here often rather than lurking, and then have your e-cojones to write that.

#83 Invisible Fan, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How about a new I hate Muslims forum.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would not post in that.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we all are aware that Islamic fundamentalism is a growing threat to world stability. Fearmongering though isn't going to do much to address it though.

Beyond the hateful rhetoric I've seen I have yet to see a positive or constructive response to the orgy of threads started around every single despicable act committed by a Muslim.

Ultimately the question remains - what the f to do about it?

8. trustme

trustme Member

You would be the only contributor.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Howsabout a dedicated thread for ATW to post all his updates? He can post all he wants, and those interested can find them all in one thread...

10. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

A lonely 50 year old dude has a bunch of people talking about him, you guys have made his day. I don\t see why all these people reply to his thread if they think so little of him. All his conversations go in circles as he brings little to the table in terms of knowledge, its the same discussion every time. You guys give traction to his threads.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not lonely. Not 50. And you could learn a lot from my knowledge, young whippersnapper.

Edit: Forgot to add this:

#91 AroundTheWorld, Nov 2, 2014
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, the LOF treatment worked in the GARM. It could probably work here.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The common denominator is not ATW. The common denominator is the underlying religious ideology that influences world events in a negative way. But the events where the intolerance of the ideology manifests itself or becomes subject to discussion are vastly different and deserve their own threads.

Examples:

• 500 Christians murdered by Muslims in Nigeria
    • Amnesty International: Afghanistan: Protect 10-year Old Rape Survivor from "Honor Killing"
    • Fired Employee Beheads Coworker at Oklahoma Plant
    • ISIS Forces Last Iraqi Christians to Flee Mosul
    • Pakistan Mob Kills Woman, Girls, Over 'Blasphemous' Facebook Post
    • Tolerance in "Muslim model democracy" Turkey: Vice Premier wants to prohibit women from laughing in public
    • Knife-wielding terrorists kill at least 29 in savage Chinese train station attack
    • European Court of Human Rights upholds French burka ban
    • Bill Maher and Sam Harris arguing with Ben Affleck about Islam
    • Islamic "model democracy" Malaysia sentences opposition leader to 5 years in jail for homosexuality
    • Dubai rape victim told she could escape jail if she marries rapist
    • Atheism Is Punishable By Death In These 13 Countries
    • Saudi Arabia sentences blogger to 7 years in jail, 600 lashes for encouraging religious debate
    • Islamists murder secular opposition politicians in Tunisia, Libya
    • Karachi airport under attack from terrorists
    • Rape victim in Dubai jailed for extramarital sex
    • 'Muslim Patrol' vigilantes attempt to control London streets
    • Bangladesh: "Offended" Muslims burn 100 Buddhist homes, 10 temples
    • Islamists behead 17 people in Afghanistan, possibly for listening to music
    • Islamists in Mali give couple 100 lashes for having child "out of wedlock"
    • 'Draw Muhammad' Cartoonist Goes Into Hiding After Assassination Threat
    • 8-year old girl seeking divorce in Yemen
    • Fire Guts Headquarters of French Satiric Weekly

Every single one of those threads is worthy of discussion in its own right. None of these news stories and world events are made up by me. Why do you want to restrict discussion of these world events to one thread? To make it seem like the aggregate of these problems is less relevant? Or do you agree that they all have one underlying cause: The aggressive, intolerant ideology of political Islam.

Would you want me to have to post positive events to that same thread, too?

• Positive thread: #JewsAndArabsRefuseToBeEnemies
    • Mahmoud Abbas and Shimon Peres pray with Pope Francis for Mideast peace
    • Kailash Satyarthi and Malala Yousafzai Are Awarded Nobel Peace Prize

Or threads which have nothing to do with Islam?

• US Healthcare system in international comparison
    • Bodies of 800 babies, long-dead, found in septic tank at former Irish home for unwed mothers
    • Australian Coal Mining Company Policy
    • F*** the EU
    • "I'm the other black guy" - Samuel L. Jackson
    • North Korea Executes Kim Uncle Jang Song Thaek
    • Obama takes selfies at Mandela's funeral
    • Former President George Bush Sr. shaved his head for a little boy with leukemia
    • BBC Poll: Germany most popular country in the world
    • Obama's White House Correspondents Dinner Performance
    • The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense
    • UBS Loses $2.6 Billion In 2012, Hands Out $2.6 Billion In Bonuses
    • Hello there, racists!
    • Crucifix masturbation film wins special jury prize at Venice Film Festival
    • Satirical magazine Titanic scores victory over the pope
    • Please provide an example of having learned sth. or changed your mind - D&D
    • Circumcision - German court says child's right outweighs parents' rights
    • Israelis rally against violence by zealots
    • Corruption and government-sanctioned murder in Russia
    • The world according to Americans?
    • Republicans cut short Obama impersonator
    • Christmas 2.0
    • Czech government criticized for "phallometric tests"
    • Eating da poo poo
    • Why are there almost no male Asian lead actors?
    • Police officer fired for having police car washed by bikini girls
    • Dictator Chavez steals second Hilton hotel in Venezuela
    • Would any posters here become a dictator if they were in power?
    • Republicans/Democrats: Most acceptable candidate from the other side
    • Bank managers pay themselves huge bonuses despite financial crisis
    • Video Clip of the police looting
    • New Orleans mayor fears CIA to take him out
    • Terry Schiavo dead
    • Shooting in Red Lake
    • www.georgewbush.com blocked for all viewers outside the US
    • Poll: Poll ONLY: Who do you think will win the election?
    • Is my alma mater a moral cesspool?
    • Rumsfeld wins "Foot in Mouth" award
    • Why do you rarely see mixed couples where the guy is of Asian descent?
    • Did anyone watch the CA candidates' debate?
    • Power Failures Around The World - Creepy
    • Go to Google, enter "french military victories"...
    • Funny Bush site...

"frightening single-issue poster?" I don't think so.

Again:

I am not making the Islamist issues up - sadly, they just keep happening, and it seems to be getting worse. Just in the past few years, Boko Haram came into existence, ISIS did, new revelations came out about actual Muslim attitudes worldwide which were previously denied by the apologists or it was claimed that only a tiny minority would hold these views (e.g. stoning of adulterers, death penalty for apostasy, strong correlation of support for sharia and support for honor killings, overwhelming majority for extreme sanctions against homosexuals, overwhelming majority for wives to always have to obey their husbands, etc. etc.), not to speak of numerous terror attacks.

What is your agenda? Why do you want to curtail discussion of these frightening and important events and developments as they occur?

#93 AroundTheWorld, Nov 2, 2014
  14. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Is it my failure that this statement surprises me? Perhaps i'm careless connecting posts to users...

my take pursuant to ATW is that the scarcity of such declarations only fuel his perspective.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I just thought this was funny:

[​IMG]

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How about a sub forum where posters stop straw-manning other posters' positions.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think ATW makes a lot of valid points and serves as a foil to a lot of the apologists on this forum who seem afraid of issues that are hard to face. Does he cross the line? Depends on the line. It gets a little extreme, and I certainly wouldn't echo everything he posts.

However - it's D&D.. some of the posters who post the most twisted, insidious things are treated as heroes of the D&D because they fit the narrative that other posters are looking for.

To use one of the most overused phrases ever, "it is what it is".

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So do people need to declare this every single time he posts a thread? He creates this false strawman that everyone who disagrees with him is an "apologist" which simply isn't true.

It's just a matter of not going to the point of being a bigot by saying Islam is this really "dangerous ideology" that needs to be "stopped". That's what he has actually said!

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Please provide the exact quote. Thank you in advance.

If you are unable to provide the exact quote, I am expecting your apology.

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

when you were posting under the name new yorker i remember you saying that you would argue positions you did not support just to "stir the pot". i dont see how you can criticize others for doing what you proudly admitted to doing yourself.

as for the thread topic may i suggest that if we ban ATW for all his muslim threads can we also ban glynch for all his koch brothers ones too?