1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Short Term Back Up 5 Options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 15, 2019.

?

Who do you like the most?

1. Willie Reed

17 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Bruno Caboclo

14 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Terrence Jones

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Robin Lopez

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. They all suck

44 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Ironic because I think he's hurt right now

macan likes this.
  2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Considering Clint’s injury, it may take a second to get a serviceable back up 5. The fact that Dedmond can catch lobs, rebound, protect the rim and move his feet defensively makes him worth a second for me. Chriss can’t help this year, and Nene just isn’t what he used to be. That’s a 2 for 1 swap I would gladly take. We need depth at the 3/4. Our Center depth would be fine. Dedmond would help both short and long term. We need playable players at multiple positions. At least MDA could trust him, and he wouldn’t have to small to close out games.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure how trading of 2 way contracts works, and see no reason why the Raptors would really do it, but if there was some way to pluck Chris Boucher from their G League team that'd be great.

Dedmon is a good call, but how to get him.

They need defense and rebounding. The offense can "get by" without him, so to speak.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have been curious about possibly acquiring 2 way players for a long time. I don't know if that is even possible. Perhaps BimaThug can clarify this for us. It's too bad that acquiring Dedmon will be very difficult.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right... I'm sure its possible... not sure how it woudl work exactly though

@BimaThug

ashleyem likes this.
  6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Marc Gasol once Memphis blow it up.

Matt78777 likes this.
  7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, TODAY is the deadline to sign players to two-way contracts. However, so long as both two-way spots are occupied by House and Edwards, there is not an opening to sign another player. Here's hoping that House gets converted today to a team-friendly deal and that the Rockets are able to use that second two-way spot on another potentially useful player.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why are you people listing all these players that Tillman cannot afford?

MC31B and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It's gonna be nene , hart , and Clark

I have faith in those guys

10. saleem

Can 2 way players be traded for too, as long as there is an opening available?

11. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Feel like Morey is going to try to get Bazemore and Dedmon using Knight, Chriss and picks.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes. Players on two-way contracts are trade-eligible starting 30 days after signing. However, once converted, they are treated like NBA free agent signings and not trade-eligible for 3 months after conversion.

D-rock, saleem and heypartner like this.
  13. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

That would be pretty amazing.

joshuaao likes this.
  14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

You'd need to include Ennis + Melo (routed to 3rd team) or Nene to make this work salary-wise.

Plus, it is fair to question whether Tillman will be willing to pay the extra $6-12 MM this would cost us in salary + luxury tax commitments.

Still, I would love something like this. Bazemore and Knight are on similar deals ($ and length), and ATL is in a DEEP rebuild. They need to be in asset accumulation mode - a 1st and 2nd from us would be plenty IMO

#34 joshuaao, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    saleem likes this.
  15. mockster

mockster Member

Just rely on Harden to carry us to the promise land no matter who we have option

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Robin Lopez has always annoyed the hell out of me when we play against him because he's such a complete effort guy. He's 30 so it's not like he's old...he's playing on a tanking team so I imagine it won't take much to get him and I think he even has value on the team for this season even when Clint comes back so I'd go with him.

17. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I'm not a salary cap guru but don't we have a TPE from the Anderson trade? Can that be used?

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

You can only use a TPE to acquire a player who's salary is at the value of the TPE or lower. our Anderson TPE is worth ~$2.6 MM, so no, we wouldn't be able to use it to acquire Dedmon or Bazemore

D-rock and saleem like this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I keep refreshing in hopes that the news of House long term plus a new two-way player comes to light.

MC31B and saleem like this.
  20. saleem

Very interesting. I like that. I just hope that Danuel House will sign a guaranteed contract with Houston quickly. Another good 2 way player would be interesting on the Vipers.

D-rock likes this.