1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting percentages are down

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sun12, Nov 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. sun12

sun12 Member

Rafer, last season 37.6%, now 30.2%; 3-pointer, last 36.3%, now 24.1%

Battier, last 44.7%, now 40.8%; 3-pointer, 42.1% vs. 37.5%

Head, last 43.7%, now 37.5%; 3-pointer, 44.1% vs. 11.1%

MJ, last 42.3%, now 34.3%; 3-pointer, 37.2% vs 36.4%

Hayes, last 57.3% now 52%

T-mac and Yao are doing better,

T-mac 43.1%, now 45.1%

Yao 51.7%, now 55.3%

Basically Rafer is playing fewer minutes (26 mpg vs. 37 mpg last season), does that affect his shooting?

2. irlu

irlu Member

still bad bench this year :confused: :confused:

3. jasona88

jasona88 Member

Correction! ""Still bad Rafer this year :confused: :confused: "

4. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

Sorry, can you clarify? Are you comparing their season totals last year to this year's 8 games? Or are you comparing last year's 8 games to this year's statistics for the last 8 games? :confused:

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

tmac's fg% is 47% after this game. generally his fg and ft% are up.

but yes the overal team shooting is pathetic

6. sun12

sun12 Member

Their season last year vs. this year's first 8 games. I suppose it would take them a bit of time to recover?

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

we are 10% thru with the season

rafer has roughly as 2:1 TO ratio.

.30 FG%

.24 3PT%

majority of his shots come from that glorious .24 3PT% area

and this is all before tonight's game which should dive his numbers even lower.

this is roughly a double digit percentage of the season exhausted. not one or 2 games. 8 games.

yes we're winning, but remember how JVG would use to not be happy with W's when really they were some lucky wins? its scary to side with some JVG logic of seeing misery in wins, but we got some lucky W's.

and before anyone reads that as a RA dig, please understand that i abhor dualistic ideologies, binary understandings, and Us Vs them equations before you begin a cheap "gotchya" counter.

can we agree that we're still gelling and that we're still finding our identity? then why so concrete with the minutes? we need some tweaks to our game. i dont think RA is going to be getting on CF tonight, and i srsly doubt CF fans have RA's cell ph# despite all the posts that suggest such so lets hear some calls as you saw the past 8 games...

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

We need more low post play! Not only it is more efficient, but our perimeter players need open shots! Only if we play more in the low post, they can get open shots.

9. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

dude, tmac gets them a TON of open shots. they're just not great shooters.

battier will make shots eventually along w/ james. but rafer and bonzi are not shooters.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Not as open as last season! I remember last season the shortest distance of defender to them is often more than 10 meters! :D

11. choujie

choujie Member

Do Rockets have a shooting coach?

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I got a feeling, VGD and his staff are much harder workers! :eek:

13. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

rafer suffered from off court stuff this summer,maybe that's a reason?
    Chuck....never mind, he missed a few lay-ups and banks he might hit last season but we don't count much points from him right? and he'll be fine.
    Battier:he is usally cool at the beginning of the season, and....you can't blame him much b/c maybe he is just paying back for the 3 in LA.
    T-mac:he is certainly more healthy and energetic this season, driving to the lane definitly help to improve you FG% rather than pull-up Js.
    Yao: we can still expect better FG%, honestly...
    Still I have something to say about RA's offense.
    It'd be better if RA stands out and clarify that he is still experimenting the team's offense or I won't buy this Princeton Offense ****, you can see terrible ball passings and bail-out shots all over the night,especially 4th quarter, one can stand there waiting only for a screen for 3 seconds and nobody is cutting, motion-offense? hell no :mad:

14. sun12

sun12 Member

Ther personnel is not right for the princeton offense. I think eventually Rafer will be gone, but the other options are not that great. This is a big issue. Battier is baffling, has to be disappointed at him. He needs to generate a little bit offense.

But SF is also not a shooter. Are there any shooters on this team?

15. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i don't know if anyone is pissed at this but bonzi misses at least 2-3 VERY EASY layups a game. that has to piss you off.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I was pissed at his cheap fouls at the beginning of the 4th quarter. I think that is a major reason why we lost tonight!

17. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Rafer should be replaced due to non threat outside the arc. This is a serious matter if we're going to be a good team. I think Francis is a good shooter since he's a such a good free throw shooter. I am tired of Rafer non productivity on the court other than dribbling skills. THere are a lot of things he does not have that hurt the team...such as penetration skills...defense...size...tear drop wide open shots (oh god he really suck)...inability to shoot while on the run (he's a spot up shooter ONLY).

And today not only he can't shoot, he turns over the damm ball by making ill decision passing the ball. I just think the ROX could be much much better to have someone start over Rafer right now. Imagine Steve Francis making 1/6 from the 3pt arc...that's a HELL LOT BETTER THAN RAFER 0/50!!

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

BTW, Bonzi's playtime should be reduced!

19. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

Actually we are not even RUNNING Princeton Offense on this Rocket team. It's a combination of.....Motion-offense, some Triangle-offense and also JVG offense :D . Besides, PO doesn't actually requires a SHOOTER, it requires players who can hit open-shots and easy buckets constantly, a "10% above average" shooter maybe. Since we have 2 superstars on this team and both of can finish, it's much less burden for us to follow the passing/cutting routine untill finally the ball comes to a wide-open guy like the old Sacramento Kings.

IMO,the ideal PG solution on this rocket might be Steve Blake as starter and SF3/AB on the bench, not only Blake is a true PG and had a decent season last year at Denver, but also we can at lease avoid to see "we want steve" :D

20. Barkley

Barkley Member

Well we need Bonzi, he can carry the team but hell I think I would do better than he. Man he missed probably somethin' about 4-5 layups last night