1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooters w/quick release in today's NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NL Rocket, Nov 28, 2012.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Even though it's allowed, teams don't usually play zone defense. In any case, wasn't zone allowed in 2001 or 2002?

And didn't a 40 year old Michael Jordan average 20 ppg in 2003?

2. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

This is quite possibly the most ignorant post from beginning to end I have read on this board. I'm not sure if you're serious, really.

You could always double team. The Piston's constantly played "zone" against the Bulls in the 80's. What advanced statistics are you referring to specifically?
    Jordan had no left? Edit: What does having an inconsistent off hand have to do with the thread or your argument?
    WTF is going on.

#22 jcee15, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not saying I agree with others when they use join date as grounds for evaluating the poster. But it seems a lot of individuals around this date have made me go:

[​IMG]

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It's a lot faster when you don't bring the ball past your hip to shoot...

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

You mean like the Championship Rockets ;)

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I meant that camping around wasn't as profound. Teams relied on big men a lot more and the championship rockets are an example of that.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

I agree with what you were saying; I was just very sarcastic. Hakeem's inside out game with Rockets 3pt shooters was deadly, but with the lack of talent in big men today, you just won't see that execution anymore for the whole game like in the championship years. It is clearly a perimeter oriented league now.

8. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

It doesn't matter what you think.

9. AFS

AFS Member

If he didn't have a quick release, I don't think he'd ever be able to get that shot off in the NBA with the way he shoots.

10. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

No no, Kevin Martin has one of the quickest releases in the league. It's not only fast, it's deceptive. It's all in that chest-high release point.

When the ball is raised no higher than the triple threat position every time he touches it, defenders have no idea what he's going to do with it. Pass? Shoot? Scream while jumping into a stationary defender? These are just some of the intriguing possibilities.

12. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

These guys too of course. I'd also add Rip Hamilton to this list, although he's had less opportunity to show off this skill as a Bull, since Thibodeau has him corner camping instead of coming off screens to launch at midrange.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Kevin Martin has a fast trigger, not a quick release. If that makes sense.

Thing was, however it counts towards Jordan's overall legacy, the couple years he came back at 40 was one of the most toughest defensive times in the NBA. After 2004 the league defensive rating has been at 106 and above. In '02 & '03 it was around 102-103 (lower number the BETTER the defense). So you can say compared to the league and compared to others his age that you can credit Jordan just a little bit more for doing okay for himself.

14. SK34

SK34 Member

Guys, please explain to me this. I know that defense nowadays is too p***y for the NBA. Well everything is becoming way too weak in the NBA. Why don't the players attack the rim more? I mean there aren't as many shot blockers nowadays as there were back in the day. There is a hand checking rule, which makes it easier for players to get by. SO why don't they attack the rim as much?

15. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

No, it doesn't make sense. Could you please elaborate on this distinction?

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Because defenses now can pack the paint more with zone schemes cutting off the lanes, and will concede the outside shot. The perimeter is softer play, but the interior is still a rugged place.

Also the 3 point shot is a REQUIREMENT now. Guys are purposely launching 1/3 or HALF of all their shots from outside to get the bigger reward. The league is getting more the "3D" players (players who play D and shoot the 3, role players like Battier and Courtney Lee).

You're just not gonna win today with only 2's. But falling in love with the 3 point shot can remove away some incentive to drive into the lane (Carlos Delfino)

It was for lack of better term, but replace "fast trigger" with "GREEN LIGHT". Thats what I meant.

Martin has the green light to shoot from wherever, but the shot itself isnt a quick release its a slow one :)

17. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

So does Chuck Hayes

18. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Jeremy Lin has a quick release. (not a LOF)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TiaUXVSyDZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starts at 1:40. May be outdated because of his new release but still..

19. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

FIXED

20. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Shawn Marion's releases are very quick.