1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooter Wanted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Rock MVP, May 27, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Your second point is sound. But on the first point I don't think I'll ever understand where you're coming from. The only thing that matters when you're on defense is limiting the number of points the other team scores on each of their possessions. To put it another way, there's no such thing as a good defensive play that does not improve your chances of limiting the other team's ability to score on their possession.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I really don't think Troy Murphy and Luis Scola are that different defensively.

To say Murphy is Steve Novak level of defense is just absurd.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If Ron Artest wants all that money I would not mind doing a sign and trade with Golden State to trade Artest and a filler for Corey Magette and camby.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No I was hoping Murphy is one of the overpaid guys Indiana would be willing to give away since they are struggling financially. I remember reading an espn article refering to Indiana having to dangle Granger in deals so someone would take Murphy off thier books.

Ideally they would take our low expirings for him, maybe Cook, Barry and a trade exception. I think we can do better with McGrady's expiring.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

durvasa, per 100 possessions doesn't register because it takes a carryover effect. There are 75 poss per game in a normal rox game. If scola plays most of his possession with yao, its only natural his on should be greater than his off regardless off the magic number of 100 poss. I'm all for progress and new analysis, but basketball is more like checkers, not quantitative analysis.

6. 1individual

1individual Member

I'd give our low expiring contracts for Murphy any day. He can be our backup center.

7. rocket1710

rocket1710 Member

morey said he's looking to buy a pick and if we want a shooter go after joe meeks in the draft he can shoot the heck out of the ball put up 52 point in one game... and in the mock draft he's a second rounder...

8. durvasa

That's not a criticism of points allowed per possession. You've argued before that PPG and FG% are more important in the past, but this same point (who you play with impacts what the team does with you on the floor) holds equally true for that.

There are two separate issues: (1) coming up with a measure of how well the team performed on defense, and (2) coming up with a measure of how well the individual performed on defense. Looking at points allowed per possession is absolutely appropriate for (1). For the individual, defensive impact ultimately should be reflect how much better the team can be expected to defend with him on the floor than off the floor, holding all the other players on the court constant. And, again, when we talk about the "team defending", we mean the team's ability to limit the opponent's scoring per possession. I've yet to encounter any credible counter-argument to that concept.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Name the last Rockets player to shoot better than 40 % from the field and 40% from the 3-pt line and actually average more than 10 points per game for more than 1 season.

Answer is Kenny Smith.

Walt the Wizard got close. A few players have done it during 1 season, but we need more than a flash in a pan to really have a chance at a championship.

Decent and streaky shooters (who we have) do not equal good, consistent shooters who are part of the rotation. Given that we are a team that is built around an inside/outside game or AB kick outs, we need shooters that are more consistent than what we current have.

We do need size inside.

But we also need a guy who we can hit shots, have the confidence to take the shot, and will get playing time.

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Chuck Hayes is going to take a 1000 shots in gym everyday this summer. He'll come back as a sharp mid-range shooter. ;)

11. chamuco

chamuco Member

I wish we could get Morrison from the Lakers. He is just sitting there. A good shooter OK defense, and lots of heart. I think he fits the Rox's style of not giving up. His defense will improve with this team. He would be awesome with the way the team plays.

12. dexkk

dexkk Member

are you serious? last i heard morrison isn't nba material.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Which is $2 million more than the Rockets should spend on him. Von Wafer made about $700K, I believe.

Meaning twice as much as Scola and Landry's salary?

He does? Why doesn't he give the Clippers, Knicks or Bulls a big guy that can shoot with range and put the ball on the floor? He got passed around in the same season twice and pretty much failed to leave the bench during the playoffs.

He's been useless most of his career for anything other than empty stats.

What have Thomas and Davis done? What have all of your "greyhounds" done?

Rockets took Lakers to 7 games with their two highest salaries players injured. Hornets tooks Spurs to 7 with a largely healthy roster.

And you know what's annoying? That you act like all that the Rockets did was load up on Battier-type players. You talk as though Morey acquired nothing but Steve Blake, Battier, Bruce Bowen, Joe Smith and Chuck Hayes-types.... That's just counterfactual, as if the team never takes atheleticsm and scoring ability into consideration.

The recent acquisitions have included Artest, Scola, Wafer, Landry, Brooks, Lowry, even Francis and James. Hardly guys who cannot score or only guys without atheleticsm.

14. durvasa

Don't forget Bonzi Wells and Kirk Snyder. They always seem to get forgotten when people want to complain about the Rockets bringing in Shane Battier. Those two guys were supposed to be talented, athletic offensive players, but they basically were flops. They were great in China though, I hear.

15. Carl Herrera

1. Explain how you caount 75 possessions per game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2009.html

2. Yao certainly has an effect on Scola's on/off numbers, particularly given that he's the only shot-blocking big on the roster that played regular minutes. Most often when Yao was off, the Rockets had Scola/Landry at the 4/5, and the defense is not as good (about 108.5 per 100 possessions-- roughly the NBA average, I believe).

However, do you honestly think a Yao/Murphy frontline would do nearly as well defensively as Yao/Scola? Oy vey.

#115 Carl Herrera, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  16. Carl Herrera

I don't know about Bonzi nowadays, but I hear that Kirk Snyder is not someone you should sleep on.

17. larsv8

or live next too, zing!

18. durvasa

Hold up, he was already making a reference to the "Kirk Snyder has recently lost his mind" story. You can't take credit for that zing. ;)

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Adjust it down to points per 75 possessions then. It doesn't really matter; it's a rate and it adjusts for game pace. If you don't get that, there's nothing I can do.

And I'l grant that it's an imperfect number, as you cited for Scola, the Yao Ming effect. Both Yao and Scola played virtually the whole season (Yao missed 5 games; Yao average 34 minutes and Scola averaged 30. The remaining 32 was split mainly between Hayes (12) and Landry (21) with trace minutes to Cook, Mutombo, Dorsey, and small ball (Battier/Artest). Most of the time when Yao was off the court, Scola was on it -- the lone exception would be the Landry-Hayes pairings, which often produced a better defensive result than when Yao was on the court.

I would love to see a defensive points per 100 possessions for various players with and without Yao over the last couple years. My guess would actually be minimal change due to the equal effectiveness of Hayes/Mutombo on that side of the ball.

To the original point, it also doesn't change the dramatic difference in team defense when Troy Murphy is in the game -- especially when the Pacers often went to small ball with Danny Granger at the 4.

20. larsv8

:mad: