1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooter Wanted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Rock MVP, May 27, 2009.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You'd have to start by taking back Tinsley and work backwards from there.

I doubt the Rox could 'get there', more the pity. I'd take Kleiza as a booby prize, tho.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hard to figure out which is worse: Murphy's contract or his lateral quickness...

I was a big fan of his in college, and maybe I'm too influenced from his time in Golden State, but he is no upgrade on Scola at all (IMHO).

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It would be a shame to lose Scola, but defensively theres not much of a difference and Murphy is a beast on the boards just like Luis. The biggest asset is that Murphy has legit PF size, and can shoot lights out from anywhere on the court.

I've always wanted to see what would happen if the Rockets were actually able to space the floor with a 4 who can't be left alone from downtown. It would seem like it might open up interesting offensive dynamics with Yao.

4. flipmode

flipmode Member

when carl gets his 3pt range, we will have "grown" our own troy murphy, and for cheap.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I was thinking about sending Yao to the bench earlier and bring in Murphy as the five. Then when Yao comes back in, slide Murphy to the 4 and give Scola a breather. Again, its a high price to pay for a bench player but then you have the felxibility to dangle Landry with McGrady's expiring to get back another decent piece.

6. Asian Sensation

Umm, no.

They're completely different players. Murphy is a legit 6'11 widebody who's been a shooter all his life and he likes to bang inside at the same time too. Landry would be a nice compliment to Murphy though. One other thing I forgot to mention from my other post about Murphy is that he's also left-handed making him extra tricky to guard.

7. Asian Sensation

If we go after Murphy like I suggested it would make Scola expendable (as much as I wouldn't want to lose Scola) and the Pacers would probably ask for Scola in return to talk. Landry would be a nice compliment to Murphy. As for Playing Yao and Murphy at the same time I'd look forward to that but only in special situations against Pryz/Oden...Garnett/Perkins.... Gasol/Bynum... etc

Either way the more I think about it the more Murohy makes sense. Morey make the call!

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I was shocked when I read the above statement. Every since Battier has been here, I have never thought of him as a "good shooter." Rather, an offensive liability. Barry "used" to be a good shooter. On the Rockets he has done next to nothing. I agree we need shooters, but these aren't the guys I want as role models.

Brooks is a "shooter," but not a consistent one. Yao and Scola are probably our most reliable shooters and their range is limited. Yes, we need a consistent long range shooter like TMac used to be. He has declined from shooting in the 40 percentile to the 30 percentile. Not good.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Rockets need a shooter?

Guess who's a free agent?

[​IMG]

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Murphy is great for spacing and can play inside too.He is tall but the lack of lateral quickness,athleticism and defense are drawbacks as well.

11. HtownForever

HtownForever Member

Mo can't shoot? u gotta be kiddin me man, dude is clutch..

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He's also had three of his nine years so far ended with pretty significant injuries. I'm just sayin...

13. Dei

Dei Member

Would not mind, honestly.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Show me the money. Those who gots money are not fits. Those who would fit have no cap room. So, who can give him a top ya offer without it being an SnT?

Artest will be back; or he'll be in an SnT (I'd expect Riles to offer Haslim/Beasley for R - R. I'd listen if I were DM the GM).

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Compared to our current players, I like those odds! But in seriousness, name me a big who hasnt had fairly serious injury issues.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

How about that guy on the right? I think it's safe to say he fits that description. He's my best case scenario pickup for this offseason. Well, between that and finding another 4/5 scorer that can safeguard us if/when Yao gets hurt again.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol. The GSW is an all offense-no-defense-running-on-an-open-court team. That's exactly the type of team that would value Maggette, someone who likes to drive the ball inside and can shoot the ball somewhat decently. Yet, they are looking to trade him! Doesn't that raise flags to you when the team that should value a player the most wants to trade him for scraps?

Maggette is a ball hog, he shoots 40%+but he doesn't pass the ball. His FG% may be high for a guard but is low compared to bigs' FG%, but with him around the bigs will never see the ball. You think Artest and co. are ignoring Yao right now? Bring Maggette here and watch the YOFs go crazy. We already have someone who can drive and attack the rim. His name is Von Wafer, and he's likely to be half as cheap as Maggette, maybe even cheaper.

Besides you're high-jacking the thread. The OP wanted shooters and you inserted Maggette, a player whose jumpshot is as erratic as Artest's and Tmac's.

Back to topic: I think the Rox have a lot of shooters, but most of them are inconsistent. That's the main problem, Adelman is not good at making rotations on the fly, so if his planned rotation isn't shooting well at the moment we get screwed. Getting rid of Alston was a huge move, since we got rid of one of the most streaky and inconsistent shooters on the team. I'd like us to trade for a consistent shooter this season, someone like Kevin Martin would be ideal...

18. Asian Sensation

Agreed. That's why I like the compliment of Landry playing aside him and Hayes when Yao's in the game. As far as his drawbacks go I think his goods (especially ones we can use) outweight the bads. All big men have some kinda drawback one way or another.

19. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Rip Hamilton can shoot.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am almost positive that Kevin Martin is a WNBA player. Juwan Women.