1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Ohtani betting scandal?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Radricky, Mar 20, 2024.

1. StroudAndYorDaddy

so their mlb peers admitted they cheated, the astros organization admitted they cheated. But im supposed to sit and listen to a bunch of altuve stans say he didnt cheat. Oh brother

2. StroudAndYorDaddy

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think you are posting in the wrong thread

4. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Somebody remove this ****ing troll please

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I know, it’s just hilarious (and sad) that people will believe whatever made up trash they want just to push their agenda, especially for someone who’s a legend

RKREBORN likes this.
  6. StroudAndYorDaddy

This is one of the last quotes from the HR King ( at least in my eyes)

Baseball Hall of Fame member Hank Aaron said the punishments did not fit the crime, adding, "I think whoever did that should be out of baseball for the rest of their lives.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

You'll never get Harden's buns....they belong to Lil Baby.
    [​IMG]

You need to sell your video game collection and move out of momma's house to have a chance with James...

#367 RKREBORN, Mar 26, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    Stephen66 likes this.
  8. verse

verse Contributing Member

That press conference that I just finally watched was very tight. Very choreographed, in my opinion. I think Shohei understood every word that his interpreter uttered. His positive nods (as sometime who doesn't speak English) were extremely timely. The timing was impeccable for a non-English speaker. He knew exactly when to start speaking after interpretation. I saw the same thing, in different context of course, with a young Yao Ming. He knows English well enough.

Is he scripting his alibi? Yes. Without a doubt.
    Did he place those bets? Yes. Without a doubt. But does he have a fall guy, and will this all be swept under the MLB rug in the sake of the the league? Yes. Cris Carter (NFL) approves of this message.

That said... get yourself a fall guy. It pays very well.

9. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This feels so much like a little kid that's been caught red-handed and just continues to lie about it hoping that things will just magically go away. So much of what Ohtani and his camp have said are easily verifiable, so why keep up the charade as if your lies won't be revealed eventually? I guess if the alternative is potential jail time, you do whatever your lawyers tell you in hopes that it works out...but it just feels silly how they keep to this story when any reasonable person can punch holes all through it.

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The translator took money except he stupidly use Ohtani's name to pay for his debts. The translator lied about graduating from college. Lied once, lied some more until caught.

12. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

The money came from Ohtani’s account.

everyday eddie and Bobbythegreat like this.
  13. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Do we know whether it was a US bank account? Perhaps Japanese banks have different security systems in place for transfers, especially for high end clients

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My understanding is that even if that were so, there are international money transfer policies that developed countries like Japan agree to be obligated to in an effort to curb money laundering, etc.

everyday eddie and Rock Block like this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

This would make a good book. It's not that different from "the Firm". There are multiple people, entities, and countries at work here, and each party has something to gain and lose. It's a navigational minefield.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The whole millions being stolen excuse was ok until people started asking simple questions.

17. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Absolutely. And the reporters will keep digging.

18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Japanese banks are PITA to deal with.

MadMax likes this.
  19. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

They are like Gringots
    Sans dragons, but I can't confirm that.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As they should... however in this case, apparently all Ohtani's camp has to do is say "no further comment", and that is that.

At the very least, this just further exemplifies the double-standards, bias, and how media can also 'protect' or 'witch-hunt' an indivudal/team/story based on their pre-existing relationship or the market.

Hence why the Astros were a perfect team to go full nuclear on any sign-stealing repercussions.... soft media market, no major media member (print or television) that has a national reputaiton/following, softer fan base (albeit, getting tougher with every twitter war), and no concern of burning any bridges/connections/etc.

Any other high profile team, even with a whistle-blower, and the story is still reported... punishment still handed out... however the story doesn't keep re-inventing itself (with zero new findings) daily or every week for the sake of clicks.