1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Ohtani betting scandal?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Radricky, Mar 20, 2024.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I read a full translation on Reddit and it seems clearer. Someone mentioned that when he was in Japan that his mom took care of his finances and would give him an allowance of 1k a month. After 2 years the bank account had 20k in it. In other words he only spent 4k in 2 years on disposable stuff. He seems like the type that just plays baseball for the love and need to be the best he can be and the money is just another way to keep score.

My son is like that with money. Never asks for anything and the money gets for Christmas and birthdays pretty covers everything he needs all year. Some people are just low maintenance. He's going to be a millionaire before 30 and retire at 40.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/s/bwIWJQ7kOo

Snake Diggit and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  2. HeyBudLetsParty

I buy all of that, personally there’s nothing about Ohtani’s profile that would lead me to believe he’s a degenerate gambler. but that begs the question will formal charges be pressed? how did a bank manage to allow 4.5 million dollars worth of fraud over an extended period of time? All of this could be answered, but hasn’t yet.

3. Radricky

Radricky Member

I think it’s odd this all broke when ippei was conveniently out of the country.
    Where the hell is he now?

4. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Exactly

Radricky likes this.
  5. Radricky

Radricky Member

I mean shouldn’t ippei be in custody by now?

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Any moment now...

Radricky likes this.
  7. Radricky

Radricky Member

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Does he have to press charges for them to go after his translater for wire fraud? I would guess not.

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Unfortunately, @StroudAndYorDaddy single-handedly destroys the cumulative IQ here.

GOATuve and Stephen66 like this.
  10. StroudAndYorDaddy

there you go singling me out again

yordan and cj stroud are the right men to lead this era for houston sports

jose altuve and bregman kinda sorta shamed the city if we are being fair and honest here. You are an altuve stan so you cant see on the outside looking in that cheating in sports is a bad look.

the astros franchise lost draft capital, high ranking executives were fired.. just a bad look

11. ASTR0nomical

ASTR0nomical Member

For assuming that Jose Altuve had anything to do with "kinda sorta" shamed the city just landed you on my ignore list, scooter!

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Harden sucks balls. How’s living in your mom’s basement with your video game collection going?

13. StroudAndYorDaddy

Harden didnt win a ring for Houston, but he didnt cheat either. Despite Altuve should being a certified lock for cooperstown, altuve may NOT go in at all because of that cheating scandal. Was using the ear pieces worth it in the end after all, the astros were already talented hitters, they DID NOT NEED TO DO THAT as they would have probably beaten the dodgers straight up

and yes I'd put JJ Watt and Harden both above altuve and bregman in terms of houstons great sports stars.. yes neither won a super bowl/ nba finals but both had more mvp level season than altuve as indiviual talents and neither cheated the game. Both Watt and Harden also donated a ton of money for multiple houston causes as well.. Harden i think donated a whopping 1 million dollars for harvey relief efforts and JJ Watt also donated a crazy amount as well

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If you believe the garbage that altuve "cheated" then you're just a moron, nothing else needs to be said. It's an indisputable fact that he didn't do anything. If you don't like him because he's not black enough for you or whatever your reason is, ok, but don't lie about him

15. Qan

Qan Member

Could've sworn I blocked him. Guess not yet.

Stephen66 and RKREBORN like this.
  16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Ohtani 0-2 with 2 K's tonight. ;)

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

He's a racist prick

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Say what you want, your loverboy Harden sucks ballzzzz

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

He has three accounts

20. StroudAndYorDaddy

the mlb did a long drawn out investigation and suspended managers, we were docked draft capital, our genius executive was fired. Whether you want to admit it or not, those players on that team brought shame to the city. Which is why correa, springer, marwin, gattis and the rest of guys are rarely if ever brought up on houston sports radio unless the astros are playing them. Nobody brings up that 2017 team up at all, the entire team was memed for years online with trash can taunts from fans in stadiums and on other forums across the net until the astros struck gold with yordan/pena/kyle tucker/ and pitchers like javier/ framber cleaned up our image and reputation. Dusty winning his ring means way more to the eyes of the baseball world than a.j. hinch winning with cheating. Only you and the majority of posters here may disagree. But the outside world views the 2022 ring as legimate, which is why after we won the meming and jokes finally stopped, and whether many here want to openly admit it that 2022 ring removed the stain of that 2017 scandal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Astros_sign_stealing_scandal#:~:text=An MLB investigation confirmed in,to the Boston Red Sox

While the investigation was ongoing, Molly Knight of The Athletic identified and attempted to contact nine pitchers who were demoted to the minors or designated for assignment immediately after a poor appearance against the Astros in 2017. Four pitchers agreed to be quoted anonymously; three put the blame for their fates on their own performance and a fourth saw the allegations as an explanation for why Astros players seemed to be more comfortable at the plate at home. The other five pitchers either could not be reached or declined to comment.[97]

Players publicly commented about the scandal during the offseason. Anger towards the Astros from fellow MLB players grew, especially as the scandal wore on. ESPN's Buster Olney reported that some Astros players had reached out to other players to assure them that they did not cheat, but that some of those friendships were fractured and there was "lots of anger" towards Astros players after the release of the report.[98][99] Baseball Hall of Fame member Hank Aaron said the punishments did not fit the crime, adding, "I think whoever did that should be out of baseball for the rest of their lives."[100] Pitcher Mike Clevinger said the Astros should be "ashamed" and, "I don't think any of those [expletive] should be able to look us in the eye."[101]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [104]

Mike Trout (left) and Aaron Judge were both critical of the Astros and said they had cheated.

Cincinnati Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer was critical of the Astros and gave an eight-minute long answer to a question about the scandal. "I'm not going to let them forget the fact that they are hypocrites, they are cheaters, they've stolen from a lot of other people and the game itself," he said. Bauer had publicly accused the Astros of cheating before the scandal broke.[102] Mike Trout, a three-time AL Most Valuable Player, said: "It's sad for baseball. It's tough. They cheated. I don't agree with the punishments, the players not getting anything. It was a player-driven thing." Trout said that a few members of the Astros talked to him personally about the scandal, but he said that he "lost some respect for some guys".[103] Yankees player Aaron Judge said that the Astros should be forced to vacate their title and that the players involved should have been punished. On their 2017 World Series championship, he said: "I just don't think it holds any value with me. You cheated and you didn't earn it."

#360 StroudAndYorDaddy, Mar 26, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024