1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shipley Donuts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dream34, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Anybody ever been to Round Rock Donuts for the yellow donuts? Saw 'em on a Food Network show and the wife and I are planning on going when we visit my sister.

And by the way, The Fractured Prune is the best donut in the history of ever. It's not even close.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of you will never have one and you will continue embarrassing yourselves squabbling over inferior corporate donut-like products from Shipley's, Krispy Kreme and those pathetic little pieces of garbage from Dunkin' Donuts that New England know-nothings have the nerve to call donuts. You'll end up like those poor imbeciles that think In-n-Out is in the same solar system as Whataburger.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Round Rock is solid. Very similar to Shipley's I think. Except bigger donuts.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Actually all the Krispy Kreme franchises in Houston were owned by one company and they got into a dispute with Krispy Kreme and sued them for forcing them to open more stores and buy equipment they didn't need and marking up prices on the ingredients. Either they won or they settled, but part of the agreement was Krispy Kreme left Houston and the company that owned the stores turned them into something called Jumbles that lasted like a month. I remember trying one of their donuts, it was like biting into a stale dinner roll that had been glazed.

4. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Round Rock is pretty darn good, I have to admit. In Austin, you should try Mrs. Johnson's Bakery, River City Donuts, or Ken's. All of them are great when fresh and warm...duh.

Apparently, there's a Shipley in far-south Austin. I'm not going to venture that far for the potential disappointment, though. I'll just (im)patiently wait for my next trip to the Houston area.

5. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

The Shipleys isn't that far away from River City Donuts... If I'm going to drive that far, I'd might as well make the trip to Shipleys.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Prasek's shout out!

7. the futants

Sorry...I was referring to the one on Research Blvd. Apparently, it's Rivercity (one word).

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Prasek's is the bomb dot com... my mom stops there everytime she makes the houston-austin roundtrip and brings back kolaches and beef jerky. their jerky is awesome, second only to chappel hill sausage jerky.

excellent call.

9. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Ah hah! OK then. That's a completely different story. :D

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/058zvgF3OIU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/058zvgF3OIU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

C-Rock knows what he's talkin about,

Krispy Kremes
    So good, you'll suck a dick!

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Shipley Donuts are great...Two Words: Jalapeno Kolaches...I try to go when I'm in Houston...However, there is a little place called Billie's donuts in Pasadena off of Fairmont Pkwy that is really reallly good...

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

How does one get food poisoning from a donut?

13. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Dude...Hruska's off of 71 and i10 on the way to Austin has way better Kolaches. But yeah, Shipley's doughnuts are bits of heaven covered in sugar.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I got food poisoning from Krispy Kremes in Atlanta in 2000.. as did my roommates.

We think it was bad/old oil.

(or at the time, we said that it was all the rats that must have fell in the oil...cause we were all feeling like hell)

15. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

16. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

17. the futants

Hruska's pretty much owns the klobasnek category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klobasnek

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

breaking news..... i just had the best glazed donut i've ever had in my entire life from some place called Donut World. not sure the location as my boss brought them in for us earlier, but this donut was fan-f***ing-tastic... warm and so soft it was almost gooey.

holy hell it was great.

that is all.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

When the people who prepare/handle the food don't wash their hands properly or at all after wiping their backsides.

20. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

haha I had some this morning. Now I want some more

[Homer] Mmmmmmmm..........Donuts