1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shipley Donuts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dream34, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I usually like the Asian or Vietnamese owned donut shops with names like "Best Donuts", "Great Donuts", "Super Donuts", etc.

They are usually pretty good.

2. Pete the Cheat

yea but when I visited they had some kind've breakfast pastry that was like a kolache on steroids...it was delicious and have been craving one ever since...the name escapes me but it started with a P

also...how has noone mentioned Southern Maid Donuts? best donuts in Houston bar none...they put Shipley's kolaches to shame!

3. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I absolutely love Shipley's, it is truly a southern treasure. The donuts, kolaches, cinnamon twists, glazed cake.....nothing comes close, I would like to open my own Shipleys one day.

4. red

red Contributing Member

Russian Peroshkis

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

America runs on Dunkin? Pffft.

My family used to go to Shipley's every Sunday when I was a kid. Nothing matches it.

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Count me in as another person raised on Shipley...really, nothing comes close. I was set up for disappointment from day one, because I have never tasted a glazed donut as good as Shipley's. Hell, I'm not even very fond of donuts, but now I feel like going to get some right now!

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

EVERY sunday?

and they wonder why America's so fat. Anyway, this thread is making me want some Shipley's, bad. I gotta resist. :(

8. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

I was living in Boston during the Super Bowl that Houston hosted a few years back. Everyday of the week leading up to the game The Boston Globe had a feature in the sports section highlighting something unique to Houston. One day they had their spotlight on Shipleys. They said Shipleys is what Krispey Kreme wanted to be when it grew up. Dunkin' Donuts, on the other hand, ranks at the bottom of the doughnut totem pole (with an exception to their French crueler, Boston cream, and original cake.) Their doughnuts tend to be dry and tasted like they had a hint of some random chemical. Dunkin' was good for it's coffee, muffins, and bagels. Honeydew had the best doughnuts in Beantown!!

9. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

Kolaches are from Czechoslovakia. They are only found in areas populated with people of Czech descent. What we know as kolaches are actually klobasneks ( my friend was kind enough to educate me on this subject just the other day.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolache

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Comparing Shipleys to Dunkin Donut or Kriste Kreme
    is
    like Comparing Marble Slab to Baskin Robins

Rocket River

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I am so f***ing getting donuts from Shipley's tomorrow.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Krispy Kreme > Shipleys

Shipleys is so damn overrated by Houstonians. Eveny Dunkin Donuts is better.

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

FAIL.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Asian Sensation

Good call... really fresh, happy to see you, glad to hook it up (usually get like 6 or so extra donut holes or couple extra reg donuts whenever I buy a dozen), and most importantly not to sweet. Seems to be the trend. I can't speak for all the Asian owned donut shops but this is true for the one in my hood.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

live out on the east coast now.. only see Dunkin everywhere with a Krispy Kreme every 50 miles or something.

Shipley >> KK >> Dunkin

Dunkin is actually so-so in the morning...but it blows after about noon (even if you buy it from the store after noon). Shipley and KK at least have reheat (or even cold next day) value.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Shipley's in Port Arthur sucks badly. I do like Shipley's in Houston, but it's distant second among chains to Southern Maid. Daviss Doughnuts in Nederland is the greatest ever.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I always thought the mom and pop shops sold the best donuts and kolaches.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My wife made some donuts a couple weeks ago by frying biscuit dough and putting glaze on it. They were good. Apparently a Paula Dean trick.

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJCc3WNce98&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJCc3WNce98&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>