1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shipley Donuts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dream34, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

Never heard of Shipley Donuts until this thread so for me

Krispy Kreme >>>

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

It should be fun watching Dunkin Donuts try to compete in this market with the stranglehold Shipley's has. A donut is kind of a donut to me, I don't really crave them, but I have to admit that Shipley's are just more... substantial than Krispy's. I cause you can't honestly say that Shipley's ran Krispy Kreme out of town since I'm pretty sure Krispy had badly overextended themselves nationwide at that point, but God knows Shipley's was a factor.

Dunkin, I hope you're working on those kolaches.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I will admit that Dunkin was about even with me compared to Shipleys. Between those two, it's whatever is closest.

4. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

There's a pretty big difference between Dunkin Donuts and Shipley's. In the east coast, people go to Dunkin donuts for their coffee more so than their donuts. If anything, they'd be in competition with Starbucks.

5. justtxyank

This is true. Their coffee is supposed to be very good. I haven't been to a Dunkin since I was really young, so I never tried that. I also don't really remember their donuts, just remember not thinking their was a difference.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Quoted for truth. I worked with a guy that had franchised Dunkin Donuts in the past. Their biggest competitor was Starbucks, not other donut shops.

7. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

i was just thinking to myself that nothing interesting has been written about in the hangout until i saw shipley's donuts. and they are the best, hands down. i grew up on shipley's and i love their plain glazed donuts both fresh and a few days old after you pop them in the microwave.

as most of you know, i traveled abroad to africa for 16 mths recently and i had the worst shipley's cravings ever!!! whenever i came home, i stopped by shipley's ~3 times for the best donuts ever.

i got back into town one month before my wedding last year and i was still thinking about the donuts. which btw, is not a good thing to think about as your wedding day approaches since you still have a dress to fit into.

i ended up catering shipley's donuts at my wedding for around 10:30 PM after hors d'houvers (however you spell that word), dinner, drinks and the cake. all of the out of town guests that grew up in houston loved it too! so not only was the wedding great, i was drinking shiners all night and eating glazed Shipley's donuts on my wedding day. :) i couldn't have asked for a happier day!!

8. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I used to be addicted to Krispy Kreme glazed donuts until about 4 years ago - when i had the chocolate filled from Shipley's

Wow. just wow. best. donut. ever.

9. myco

myco Contributing Member

Ignorance is bliss. Krispy Kreme falls woefully short my friend. :)

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

shipley's kolaches FTW!

11. justtxyank

Is this the Devils Food donut or the chocolate filled glazed?

Devil's Food is the best donut of all time. Chocolate donut filled with chocolate creme.

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Shipley's FTW. Not even close. When we were growing up, my mom used to bribe my brothers and me into going to church by buying us Shipley's donut holes on the way. To this day, as soon as I walk into a Lutheran church, I can almost smell the Shipley's and coffee. Gotta have those Sunday morning donut holes.

Here in Austin, it's all about Krispy Kreme and Round Rock Donuts (from Lone Star Bakery in R.R.). Both are waaaaay too sweet. There's a Shipley's franchise location in San Marcos, but it's not as good.

Great, now I'm jonesing for donuts. Thanks a lot, Dream34. ;)

13. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah but the real question is: Did you get the BIG EARL ??

BIG EARL FOR THE MORNING WIN!!

14. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

nope - the chocolate filled glazed donut is what i'm talking about... pure heaven.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I live in California, and need to go Shipley every trip back to Houston. They are the best donuts, certainly the best chain.

16. red

red Contributing Member

No one is Seattle knows what a kolache is unless there are originally from Texas...sad.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

kolaches are from central europe. they're big in texas because of the immigrants who brought them here but I don't understand why there are so unique to texas

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

In South Carolina we don't have a Shipley donuts. A lot of hype for it in this thread so I guess I'm missing out.

But we do have a dunkin donuts and it not better than Krispy Kreme.

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Does this by any chance look very appetizing to you?

[​IMG]

20. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Big Earl FTW.

Best Kolaches ever.