1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sheriff goes off on dishonest "journalists" in regards to teens drowning incident

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I agree that kids need mentors I would just prefer that it be their parents if at all possible. I think there are way too many people that don't take that responsibility seriously and I don't want to let them off the hook by letting them blame school or mentors or the system.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

There is no excuse. Okierock clearly stated that the problem was from the top down.

Yes, he specifically talked about the poor and their accountability, but was he wrong in what he said. I don't think so, but there is more to it The home is where all education begins, and if kids are being spoon fed a "no accountability/someone else will take care of it system", those kids grow up to feel the same way. However, I do agree that this attitude can prevail in the big money corporate families as well.

The scary thing I see is the lower and upper middle class kids now jumping on that bandwagon.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is a single mom who works 2 or 3 jobs suppose to do? You're right in that many of these fathers didn't take accountability, often it's a cycle as no one took accountability to them. So are we going to say, well, it's on you parent, tough luck you're kid is going to grow up to be a criminal and the system ain't going to bail him out but it will incarcerate him?

You talk about blaming the school or mentors - why is this about blame and not about solutions to problems? I frankly don't care about who is to blame - sure, blame the parents, blame culture, blame systemic racism - none of that solves the problem. Preaching accountability isn't going to change what's happening on the ground.

Who is doing this spoon-feeding? Right now they are being spoon fed that the only hope for them is to be a basketball players, a rap artist, or a drug dealer - I suppose that's preferable to spooning feeding them with a mentor who makes them believe that with hard work they can become anything????

I don't get why people are opposed to mentoring.

4. Falcons Talon

LOL. Dad bashing now. Gotta love it.

You see it as blaming, others might see it as where the problem begins. Once you find the problem, then you can fix it. Sometimes, the problem is caused by a tough break....after all, bad things happen to good people. Sometimes the problem is caused by a bad choice or series of choices someone made....sometimes being smart is simply making the right choice at the right time...sometimes, it might be that someone just doesn't give a crap, and knows a bleeding heart will swoop in to take care of them.

Anyone that allows someone to get something for nothing is spoon feeding them. Government, society, social programs....and before you throw it out there, yes, there are some people that really need assistance.

So now I as you, Who is against mentoring, and who do you suggest gets mentored? The kid that hears it for a few minutes a day, or the parent that can truly guide the child.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So what you are saying is that we should just let kids rot because it's the parents fault and who cares.

6. Falcons Talon

Why does an answer have to be dragged out of you. Don't avoid my question by asking another question. Answer my question. Who is against mentoring?

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Fortunately, the world doesn't work in binaries. The first cops attempted a rescue, but the conditions were dangerous. It's pitch black, a Florida pond with gators, the mud was like quick sand, and it's not easy to attempt a water rescue in a sinking car with panicked adolescents who did everything they could to run away from law enforcement. Those conditions are more likely to kill than save. So, while the first few minutes were crucial to the girls' survival, it's understandable why the cops wouldn't pursue a water rescue further and wait for the dive team.

The proper protocol was followed. But the media wanted to push the anti-cop agenda which is dishonest.

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I apologize if I gave the impression that I was speaking about the poor. This lack of responsibility is not a poor thing. Just because your kid lives in your mansion and has a Porsche to drive to school doesn't mean you are teaching them responsibility.

I don't know where Lou gets that I'm against mentoring... if the mentoring leads to more accountability then I'm for it but I'm not for people thinking that a mentor is going to fix problems that start in the home.

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

The OP using the word "dishonest"....

That's ironic.

10. likestohypeguy

Dangerous? Hey, they signed up to be cops.

Do your job!

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To clarify. They did nothing horrible. They did not do anything negligent. But neither are they all-American heroes deserving of the Congressional MoH and the press deserving the outrage of all Americans for the way they were mistreated like Mr. Police Chief seems to be thinking.

The forced outrage by the police chief is what I take issue with. They can be something other than the greatest American heroes ever and still act within the limits of their professional obligations. You don't respond to a mischaracterization with a wildly larger mischaracterization in the other direction.

And if you really did nothing wrong, you don't need to imply the girls got what was coming to them, which is more offensive than any of the so called "press" was quoted as saying.

Cops have become like teenage drama queens. They need to be constantly told how hot they are by all the guys around them, or they throw a temper tantrum and run off crying that nobody loves them.

#31 Ottomaton, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He didn't imply that. He said the press should be talking about how girls on a wayward path got themselves killed. The reporter in the video is the one spreading the crap, watch her video. She does edit it to make the viewer think a cop just aimlessly walked around the water whilst people were drowning. The vegetation was super high, I wouldn't get in that water. It would be foolish. At night even more so. This was just a reporter trying to stir up crap in an attempt to make national news.

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The chief's outrage is justified and I don't think it was forced. The amount of crap that our law enforcement have to deal with day in and out and then have the media vilify them just to have a hit piece and clicks on their websites.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It sounds like you guys are saying mentoring is a hand-out - which you are against. I may be misinterpreting your positions but please clarify.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I agree that I wouldn't classify the first responders as heroes since the girls died. This isn't a story where you can make out a happy ending. I only caught the media backlash where they stated the sheriff lauded them as heroes, but did he really or was that another thing the media took out of context to sensationalize the story? The media is wrong to paint the cops as if they stood by and did nothing, though.

The sheriff is trying to redirect some of the anger at his department into constructive ideas like juvenile rehabilitation. I don't see a problem with that.