1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sheridan Hoops] Bobcats Shopping Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

a 3 that can't shoot is a liability for any semi decent team.

And this isn't the time to be looking at trading highly effective starters who synergise with star players for potential, Chandler's skill set is better suited to what we have.

As for taking Parsons or Kidd-Gil first, only one time that has chance occurred, team shaq vs team chuck, Chandler went first.

#81 Aleron, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

And this is why I'm grateful you aren't the Rockets GM. The Rockets are ready to win now, not 3 years down the road. Also, if you get Howard, you need players to space the floor around him. Parsons can, MKG can't. It's not always about who is more talented. Team fit has to be factored into the equation too.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Shooting can be learned. Parsons couldn't shoot his first year in the league.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It can be, it usually isn't, and you typically need to enter the league with a better foundation as a shooter than MKG (like Parsons, who shot over 36% from 3 over his last two season at Florida and shot over 33% his rookie year on 2.8 attempts per game. Saying he 'couldn't shoot' is an exaggeration).

Again, MKG shot under 30% from outside 3 feet last year.

#84 dharocks, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  5. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Shawn Marion rarely attempts any shot beyond the paint, and the Mavs won a title with him playing a significant role.

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Because they had a power forward that could shoot the ball from anywhere on the court in Dirk Nowitzki. The Rockets don't have that.

7. dharocks

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he was an offensive liability, and dallas spaces the court in a unique way because of dirk.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's true. That was the main aspect of Chandler's game that he struggled with. I think MKG's shooting will improve, although for all of us, it's a guess, an unknown. What was said earlier is still relevent, however. Parsons is now proven. We know what he can do, and there's no reason to believe that he won't continue to improve. Dwight really likes him, by all the reports I've read, and is a friend from his days in Orlando, Parson's hometown. They now share the same powerful agent, Dan Fegan. If Parsons were to be moved before Howard signed with the Rockets, it could possibly blow up the deal, in my opinion. I just don't see that happening.

If we were to somehow manage to get Kidd-Gilchrist, which would be terrific, I think Parsons would still be our starting 3, having gone nowhere. Heck, both players are swingmen, and could certainly share the court. Unless it was because of a completely unrelated deal, and we aren't getting Howard, I don't see Chandler going anywhere, certainly not before the middle of the season at the trade deadline, at the earliest. My hope is that he's a Rocket for many seasons to come.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Well Parsons could shoot much of anything in his rookie year as well.

11. dharocks

He didn't shoot under 30% from outside 3 feet. In fact, he shot over 33% from 3 on 2.8 attempts per game.

Can we please stop using the Parsons example? It's like you guys are exaggerating how bad of a shooter he was to highlight how much he improved.

He wasn't anywhere near as bad a shooter as MKG, okay? Like, it wasn't even close. At all.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is the time, but MKG isn't close to being an all-star. He has a lot of potential, but having no jump shot by the time you make the pros is a bad sign. Bad shooters sometimes become good shooters, but not many terrible shooters become good shooters.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Didn't notice that. I guess was exaggerating Parsons' shooting ability. But my point is that shooting improves with experience. There's no reason MKG can't be an average shooter from distance.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Scottie Pippen couldn't shoot... :)

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

MKG is a few years away from being Gerald Wallace Part II.

I'm content with Parsons.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd be wary of using statistics from MKG's time with the Bobcats. I am suspicious of the idea that performance (good or bad) will translate when going from a bad franchise to a good one, or vice versa.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Rick Cho today said they have offers but are 100% keeping him.

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Boy, somebody is hard for Chandler. MKG is in diapers so the big proclamations are odd to say the least. Kobe at 19 looked terrible too. Not saying he is going to be Kobe but we don't know and MKG is doing what he should for a 19 year old. Also, Chandler is going to be asking for 5 times his salary so I wouldn't use that against MKG.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Good comparison. Tony Allen came to my mind, but Wallace is a better comp.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Gerald Wallace was really good.

:confused: