1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sharpshooter Collier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kidrock8, Oct 22, 2000.

Tags:
  1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Yep, 2 for 7 from the field, and 0 for 2 from the line... That's the marksman we were looking for...

We're better off with Chuck Nevitt...

------------------

2. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Collier sprained his bum-bum while shooting those last free-throws so he'll be on the IR OCT 31.

------------------

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You gotta love how it's OK for Francis to shoot 4-17, but Collier goes 2-7 and has people all over him.

As for the IR issue, I get the feeling the odd man out is going to be Dan Langhi. Carlos has really stepped up his game, so he's on the roster. Bullard also seems to be in Rudy's favor, so apparently he'll make the team. It looks like it's down to Collier and Langhi, and to see which one Rudy favors simply take a look at the box scores. Collier played 17 minutes tonight compared to Langhi's 0. In every game I can remember Collier has played more minutes than Langhi. If it comes down to those two, and it may, it's fairly easy to see who would make the roster and who would go on the IR.

------------------
    President of the Jason Collier police!

Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Because Francis doesn't have anything to prove... And Collier has a lot to prove...

Thank you for playing...

------------------

5. The Cat

I think if you watched Collier in college, you would definitely see he does not need to prove his shooting. There's some things that change from the college level to the NBA, but shooting is a constant- you don't just have it in college and then not in the pros. IMO, Collier is proven as well in that area.

------------------

ClutchTown.com

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited October 22, 2000).]

6. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

This from the Houston Chronicle:

Rockets guards Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley played the first quarter while wearing microphones for T.V. Don't expect a repeat of the experiment.
    Francis missed all seven of his attempts in the quarter, Mobley made one of two with three turnovers. When they returned in the second quarter they removed the mikes and transmittimg packs, while Jason Collier still was wearing one on his bum-bum which prohibited him from hitching his butt properly while shooting free-throws toward the end of the game.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited October 22, 2000).]

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

At what point do Collier supporters acknowledge the basketball showcase this rookie is providing and concede that he will never be an effective NBA player at least within the next few years? This adamant denial cannot possibly sustain game after game after game....

------------------

8. The Cat

For a LONG while... If you think that you can determine whether a player will be effective in the league or not by watching a few
    games, I suggest you get your head examined. For example, it took Croshere 2 years. Will it take Collier that? No, I don't think so. But if you claim to KNOW he won't be effective this early in the season, I don't know what to say.

------------------

ClutchTown.com

9. The Cat

And if ANY Pacer fan would have said Croshere would be doing what he is now during his rookie season, they would have been laughed at, called foolish and a number of other names, etc.

If that statement is true, most observers are pretty much unknowledgable about basketball.

------------------

ClutchTown.com

10. haven

haven Member

I'll be the first to acknowledge that some players take longer than others to develop... but... Collier was a 4 year player...

isn't his play thus far at least making you a little bit squeamish?

He hasn't even shown the HINT of a spark.

About shooting: Not entirely true... part of shooting involves your rhythm, timing, and ability to get the shot off. NBA defenders are bigger and larger than the ones in college, and play a better game... Collier might be out of his depth. I mean, I agree that it wouldn't effect him if he was alone in the corner all the time... but he's not.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

11. The Cat

Well free throws were one of the things discussed, and those are constant. Croshere was a 4 year player too, and he didn't show much for his first 2 seasons. And for the record, I was very impressed with Collier in the Portland game on Thursday. He took it the ball from about 15 feet on Dale Davis, a GREAT defender, and scored with that little hook twice. (One was called an offensive foul but if you watch the replay it wasn't even CLOSE) Also, in that game, he was boxing out very well and playing better defense, and while I couldn't see the game last night those I trust to give accurate descriptions of the game (MManal, etc.) said he did in that game as well.

------------------

ClutchTown.com

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I think we should give that Boseman kid a shot. He has a nice touch and seems to like to play D. Collier,Bullard,Langhi must go.

13. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

I think we should give that Boseman kid a shot. He has a nice touch and seems to like to play D. Collier,Bullard,Langhi must go.

Now there is a good idea, we cut Collier and pay him and let him count againest the cap. After all with no more reserch then CD and Rudy did on him, you would have a better idea after a few summer league games and a few minutes in pre-season. Langhi Is getting very few minutes so he has to go, right? It could not be that he not going to be in the regular rotation and so that is why he is not playing, could it? Someone might think he will get better with practice time. Bullard will be gone when he and Rudy agree about it and then I will be surprised if he is not working for the Rockets in some job.

------------------

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The cap figure with Collier is around 1 mill for the next 3 years... If we're willing to cut Matt Maloney at 2.6 mill for the next 5 years, then why not cut Collier?

It's been done before, so shut your mouth...

------------------

15. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

Collier just don't have "the right stuff". He is, in my opinion, the second coming of Todd Fuller.

Don't try and argue with TheCat. Its useless, I just ignore his comments because they are intrenched in denial and bias.

--Rocketman

------------------

16. alaskansnowman

I gotta agree with TheCat on this.
    To all the people who say Collier will end up a bust, yall are just stupid.

I mean, he MAY very well be a bust, but you cant just proclaim that he will be. It takes TIME people.

I mean, if you dont believe us, then LOOK AT AUSTIN CHROSHERE. He is THE example of how a few years can help.

------------------
    president of the dan langhi fan club.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

For every Croshere, there's a Richard Petruska and Mirsad Turckan...

The chances of Collier being more than a food taste tester is slim to none...

------------------

18. The Cat

I'm sorry Rocketman- unfortunately I don't have the skill of knowing whether or not a player has "the right stuff" after a summer league and some preseason games. Can you please tell us who will win the NBA championship this season? Who will win MVP? Comeback player of the year? I mean, since you can tell everything about everybody after a few preseason games, what's the point in even having seasons and letting players play? Might as well just let fortune tellers like yourself decide everything huh? [​IMG]

To everyone else: Don't you love how it's ok for so many posters to label a player's career "over" after a few games, but it's not ok for me to defend our own players and at the very least use some common logic and say that they deserve a chance?

------------------

ClutchTown.com

19. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

The Cat,
    If you got enough room, let me on the bandwagon with you.

kidrock8,
    It's been done before, so shut your mouth...

I think that remark shows how mature you are, we'll leave it at that

------------------

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

OK, this Collier debate is going nowhere...I'm willing to wait another 6-8 weeks b4 posting about him again, with the thinking that hopefully we will not have any big man injuries and Collier will not be in position to lose us any games.

I like this idea of keeping Boseman on the IR in case Cat or Anderson goes down. Boseman plays within his limitations on offense and lock-up guys on D.

------------------