1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaquille Ö'Neal: Howard cannot take the Rockets to the next level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

I like the honestly on the thread.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

I don’t expect dwight to turn into this offensive skilled big man with post move similar to dream. We got dwight here as a upgrade to Asik because of his shot blocking and ability to catch the ball and finish at the rim with less problems than asik. Asik is arguably a better rebounder and defensive center because with his ability to protect the rim and rotate on defense and guard the P&R.

What I do expect is Mchale to figure out how are we going to use the skill of him in finishing in the p&R and catching / finishing around the rim. The shot blocking will come natural.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I agree, this is his 10th year in the league I don't recall anyone who has changed his game dramatically after being in the league that long. I think it's the wrong approach to complicate his game by adding or refining 10 different aspects of his post game. I would just keep it simple if I was Dwight, improve your FT's and maybe the short jumper.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well, Harden already has. Poor Shaq, still jealous after all these years. I don't know if Howard will lead, but he will facilitate a move upward. The Rockets are loaded like I haven't seen them since 95. They are going to contend. Without significant injuries they will be around when few teams are.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Since Howard isnt put up Shaq's type numbers, ole Shaq thinks he wont deliver the goods to Htown ( meaning Championship). Well like many have stated already, its not about Howard. This is a team game, as long as Howard does his part, our chances are great.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Agreed

7. autoprt

autoprt Member

now that shaq is no longer playing he is doing or saying whatever he can to be relevant...which is a little sad, he had his time on the scene let someone else enjoy it.
    all dwight can do is to ignore it and use it for motivation.

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Barkley defending Houston?

That's a new one.

9. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Shaq brings up some valid points but totally invalidates them by saying Kobe Bryant is the number 1 player in the league to play with, over Lebron. What a fool.

Not sure why some of you guys are hating on the Pacers, they have a team that can dethrone Miami. If they can get past the Heat, which could happen in the conference finals, they can definitely win a title. "Just cause they almost bet the best team in the NBA the past 3 years doesnt mean they are that good". Stop you sound like a bunch of whiny babies. If they can get past the heat, they can beat an OKC in the finals or a Clippers or the Spurs. They are adding a healthy Danny Granger who was their best player up until last year and adding a low post scoring threat that can spell David West in Scola. Paul George should only get better and last year was George Hills first season as a full time starter which he should improve upon. They are a threat period.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Shaq is dumb. He could be in the GOAT conversation if he learned to make a free throw and stayed in LA. He always craps on Dwight too. I wouldn't take what he says seriously.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I believe its because they were picked to dethrone the Heat for 2 years now and it hasnt happened. So that myth is coming to an end. They do however have a very good team indeed. They will be in the mix come playoff's time. I just dont see them dethroning the Heat anymore, even though any thing is possible. But we shall see.

Kobe put up some very very good numbers before the injury last season. So a few will think he is still better than LBJ and other players. But I agree LBJ is better than Koby right now, and has been for a few years.

12. dragician

dragician Member

if he means by next level as 'ring' then that's a safe statement to make.

13. MONON

MONON Member

Shaq's just being Shaq. When he & Kobe played together, they were at each other's throat. Yes they won championships, but they were both non-compromising #1 players. That's why 1 of them had to leave. Shaq considers himself a Laker, but I don't think Kobe considers Shaq a Laker.

Wilt was the NBA's leading scorer by far, when he became a Laker. In an interview he said that with West & Baylor, he didn't need to score, he needed to rebound. So he led the league in rebounding.

We need a Dwight/Wilt more than a Dwight/Shaq. With Dream & McHale helping Dwight, I think we will get that. It was brought up in another thread that Bird didn't get along with McHale because McHale was not all business & too fun loving. I think McHale'll be able to relate to Howard more than any other coach.

To make a long story short (TOOO LATE), Dwight'll be fine in Houston, in spite of what Shaq says!

14. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

He's mad because he got swept.

15. Mariachi ROCKET

Everyone has an opinion.

It's the Rockets job to shut all the haters up and make them jump on the wagon
    (not the chuck wagon tho lol)

We'll see what he has to say on our first TNT game.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't think he said anything wrong. He says he's doesn't know if we can win it all, right away. And that's a realistic look at it. Team hasn't been tested so its too early to make any strong assumptions right now.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Meh, it's much ado about nothing. Nobody is going to crown us before the season starts, so what he said wasn't really anything out of the ordinary. Opinions don't mean a whole heck of a lot 2 weeks before the season starts. We'll see how the team performs, and what people will start saying once we get into the meat of the schedule. For now, I just like the fact that we are officially part of the conversation

18. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

Forget Shaq

19. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

By him talking the way he talks, you would think he won the Championship the first year he joined the Lakers. (It took him four godd@mn years to get it.)

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What's your address so I can send you a "Get Better Soon" card after your recent eye injury?

Because you aren't seeing the same games I'm seeing.

"Going through the motions"?

Looks to me like a guy assimilating himself into a new team while trying to incorporate some moves that Dream and McHale are teaching....which isn't easy; Dream was smoooooth on the court, and McHale's BB IQ (he might not show it as a coach) was strong, and he loved to mix it up.

Howard might not get there, but he sure isn't coasting. Besides, even if he "only" gives us 17 points a game, I'll take the 10+ rebounds and 2/3 blocks.

While the other team is constantly distracted trying to embarass him and take him out of the game, Harden and company will carve them to pieces.