1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq will make Spurs pay for Hack-a-Shaq

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Tigerknee, Oct 15, 2008.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Haha.

See Shaq got it mixed up. I guess he wanted to say two things. 1. Using the strategy shows Spurs are not that good. 2. It was proved that they lost in a couple of weeks after Suns were gone.

But even that is illogical. Spurs went to the WCF, how is that to show they are not good.

Shaq runs his mouth but exposes his brain.

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

Oh Shaq..

:rolleyes:

No you won't.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I think he's missing the point.

The other teams pays for using Hack-A-Shaq when the hacked Shaq makes his free throws.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's not unfair, but you could say its cheap. Some would even call it good strategy. But I rather watch a team try and play real defense instead of relying on Shaq to miss free throws. If I was a coach I'd tell me my team to man up and play defense like a professional basketball team should.

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If I were a coach I would tell Shaq to man up and make his free throws like a professional basketball player should.

6. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Being able to shoot and make penalty is just basic in basketball. If you can't do basic, it's your fault. The strategy is like double your best player and leave your worst shooter wide open, don't call it cheap if he can't make it.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Then why doesn't every team Hack-A-Shaq? I say its cheap because it isn't forcing the team hacking a shaq to play defense. All they have to do is foul, sit back and watch. At least when you double the best player and leave the worst open, you're actually playing defense. With hack-a-shaq, you foul as soon as his team gets the ball, no defense needed.

Heck, I don't even like the play where you foul so the opposing team doesn't get off a 3 pointer to tie the game at the buzzer.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

If you were the coach, how could you not exploit opponent's weakness, Shaq's low percentage free throws in this case, to your benefit?

From a third-party fan's perspective, yes it is not entertaining to watch hack-a-shaq, but even that is Pop the only one to be blamed. How about as a professional basketball play learn to shoot FT. I am saying this not only to Shaq, but to others as well including Hayes. It's just a part of game that rule allows.

9. conquistador#11

well, i wish coaches would command the hack-a-yao attack on ming, instead of ambushing him with an unfair zone. gRr.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

There's always going to be a disagreement on the balance between offense/defense. Some people think zone defenses are cheap. Big men taking charges is wussy. We recently heard Tommy Heinsohn whine about Artest and Chuck "faceguarding" Pierce and Garnett. IMO, a well-executed offense still has the advantage over all those tactics, so I'm okay with all of them. And I'm okay with the hack-a-Shaq as well.

The only reason this tactic is considered cheap is because Shaq lacks a fundamental basketball skill. Free throws are supposed to be a punishment on the defense; for the vast majority of players in the league it would be. I'm not okay with changing the rules just because a handful of players are at a disadvantage. This is not an unbeatable defenisve tactic like shotblocking in the pre-goaltending days. If Shaq wants to punish the spurs, he already can.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That's pretty funny, alway knew shaq was a few dimes short of a dollar, it's becoming more apparrent in his old age....

12. jgon2098

jgon2098 Member

Shaq you will not make any one pay. You are a slow, old, and egotistical sucker. Rick barry (the most accurate free-throw shooter of all time) once offered you lessons on free-throw shooting, you declined because you don't want to be mocked. You suck mate, i don't like kobe, but kobe owns you, the decision for the lakers to trade you, bar the gasol freebie was the best decision yet. your just a slightly above average player, i am so tired of hearing all this bs from shaq, mate you got nothing now, yao owns you, howard owns you, hell even paul shirley will own you. and man i use to be a major bulls fan, but man does jordan and kerr suck as GMs,

also please please trade luther, the guy is an absolute tool, keep wafer and dj strawberry, and we dont need mutombo back.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It's a typical tactic to foul someone so they have no chance of tying the game. That's why we see players running around so much, and that's where part of the excitement comes from. Obviously, the defending team has to be equally careful, if not done properly. they'll foul the player whiles he is in mid-air. Also, unless you have a terrific rebounder, there is always a chance that the offensive player will get the rebound and get fouled again or make a put back.

As for the Hack-A-Crap tactic. Shaq is a fool, plain and simple. If he can make his free throws, he can make them pay. Shaq needs to know that there is a reason why each player can have a maximum of 5 fouls before leaving the floor for good. If the opposing team decides to use reserves so that the starters won't get fouled out, the attacking team has the upper hand with the better players. If the defending team uses starters to foul, the starts will be forced to rest.

Shaq needs to keep his mouth shut, he isn't even telling the truth, just being a complete ass.

14. NADman

NADman Member

How is shaq going to make them pay? By missing more and more free throws? LOL!!!!

15. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

This isn't the Shaq that puts up 40pt/20reb games. I remember that Shaq won't miss 4th qtr free throws even if he went 0/15 the previous 3 qtrs.