1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq repeats excuse for why the Magic lost to the Rockets in '95

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tree Rollins, May 2, 2013.

1. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

Last night, for at least the 2nd time in the last few years on a TNT NBA post game show, Shaquille O'Neal said that the reason the Magic lost to the Rockets in the 1995 NBA Finals was because the Magic "celebrated too early". He went on to explain that the Magic had just beat Michael Jordan and the Bulls and had 12 days of rest, waiting for the Rockets to win the West.

WTF? How distorted is his brain? A couple years ago, Kenny Smith laughed at him, saying sarcastically, "oh, that was why that sweep happened". This time, Kenny just ignored him.

Little does Shaq recall that the Rockets closed out the Spurs in 6 games on June 1st, 1995. The Magic closed out the Pacers in 7 games on June 4th, 1995. So not only did the Magic not wait 12 days, but it was the Rockets that had the layoff.

Even if I forgive him the logistical error, his point is disrespectful of the Rockets, thinking that Houston didn't win the series ... Orlando lost it.

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Shaq can't even joke around with the guys on TNT. He's sounded serious about punching Chuck the other night. He needs to relax and stop trying to intimidate everyone.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i agree, he is terrible on that show

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Shaq knows Hakeem owned him, he's even said it before.

I think he doesn't like being constantly reminded of it by Kenny and Charles

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

At first Shaq was like

[​IMG]

Then we were

[​IMG]

And then Shaq was all

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

BIRDMAN BIRDMAN

7. bmd

bmd Member

I know, that is annoying when Shaq does that. They will mess with him and then Shaq's comeback isn't funny... just mean-spirited. He can't take a joke.

He is really insecure and can't take it when someone jokes on his machismo.

8. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

The reason the Magic loss was because they were inexperienced and their role players didn't step up. Hakeem also beat Shaq in the h2h matchup though it was far from one sided like people would like to believe.

9. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

He's a big child. He's used to having his way and being the center of attention. They really need to get rid of him. Webber was so much better.

10. Methom

Methom Member

Haha!!! That just made my morning...love it!!! BIRDMAN BIRDMAN:cool:

11. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I heard they let Webber go because he was calling too many timeouts.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Webber is PHENOMENAL as a color analyst though. Hearing him call our game last night was a pleasure. He brings intelligence, insight, and a fair amount of wittiness to the broadcast. I would say Hubie Brown and Chris Webber (along with JVG) are my favorite color guys. Jon Barry is among my least favorite. He sounds like he's at a funeral every time he speaks. Show some emotion!

13. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

Yeah, it seems like he's trying really hard to defend his legacy on the court when he doesn't need to. He used to poke fun at himself and others a lot, but I haven't seen that much anymore.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

THIS.......
    [​IMG]

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Highlight of the show & hilarious

16. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I don't think he's saying that they would've beaten the Rockets if they had taken them seriously, that would be delusional considering they got swept. I think he's saying that teams get complacent and when you lower that intensity in the NBA the other team will run you off the floor. To win consistently in the NBA the effort has to be there every second of every quarter. He's related it both times talking about the Thunder saying that they've dropped their guard and are expecting to win. Contrast that with San Antonio who went out there and just took care of business.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Shaq has always been that why, one of the main reason I disliked him as a player.

18. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

When Dick Stockton broght up Robert Horry in last night's game, Webber was able to joke about it and give Horry props. And many feel that the Kings were Robbed (pun intended) by the Lakers! Oh yeah, Webber has zero rings. I like Webber and that has to be hard on him. Way to stay professional.

19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Agreed. The Shaq-Hakeem matchup was much closer to even than the Hakeem-Robinson matchup in the series before, which was totally one-sided.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Webber is much better than Shaq. Only reason Shaq has a job is his notoriety and he's funny. Other than that he's just not fit for the position, his voice is too deep and he doesn't have good basketball knowledge.