1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq demands Trade. How does this affect the Rockets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jun 19, 2004.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I wonder if a three-way with Orlando and LA would be at all feasible (with filler players thrown in to make the contracts match up)...

Houston gets: T-Mac
    Orlando gets: Shaq
    Los Angeles gets: Francis, Cato & Mobley

Mobley + Kobe on the same team wouldn't work too well, though.

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

If the Magic get Shaq, it'll be with McGrady, not dealing him away. That's the whole idea of them wanting to play together.

Orlando can make an offer, involving Hill, Howard, Garrity, DeClercq and maybe Gooden, but would the Lakers take it? Probably not. But any such deal would not involve McGrady.

3. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

I feel Dallas and NY are only teams other than LA that can take Shaq's huge contract and sign an extension as Shaq wish.

4. lilrooster

lilrooster Member

If the Rocket are smart they would trade Yao to LA for Shaq and go ahead and trade Francis(and whatever needed) for T Mac and we would have here what LA had without the Kobe ego. Yao will never be more then a twenty points a game scorer and Francis will never be a complete team player. This would give the Rocket a three to four years shot at another championship. In addition, the Rockets could then go after Troy Hudson as their point guard and filled the other spots on the roster with good free agent role players.

5. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

To trade for T-Mac most likely we will have to give up Francis, Mobley and Cato. Who do we still have to throw in the 'Yao for Shaq' deal in order to make it work salary capwise?

6. lilrooster

lilrooster Member

The Lakers want to move Shaq and I'm sure they would take Yao and Mo Taylor and Weatherspoon, if needed, to make it work under the cap. The key would be Yao and Yao would be more of a sponsorship hit for LA, which have a larger asian community than does Houston. This works better for the NBA with their global pomotion by having Yao in more of a media market in LA. Than you would have Kobe, which is also a asian name, along with Yao. It will be Kobe's team, given his ego, which could work well with Yao who doesn't want to be the center of attention as would Kobe.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The Rockets would have to be on crack to trade Yao to LA for Shaq. Shaq is 10 years older then Yao, has 10 years more of wear and tear on him, Shaq never stays in shape and would absolutely destroy the Rockets cap space and future.

8. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Mod, please ban Lakers fans who register only to post BS.

9. ILuvEddie33

ILuvEddie33 Member

I dont see why ppl want Shaq anymore! Shaq is old, aging, out of shape, whinny and injury prone! Why would anybody trade a bright future for a soon to retire guy!! Shaq isnt all that great anymore!!!

10. lilrooster

lilrooster Member

You must didn't watch the NBA final, where the only thing that LA had going for them was Shaq. I would take four years of Shaq at his present than 15 years of Yao, who will never be what Shaq is now. I like Yao, but I'm not in denial for Yao will only be a little better than what Rik Smit was. With Shaq and T mac the Rockets would have at least a four years window to win another championship. Rockets would need another star to be a threat to win another championship if it be T mac and Yao.

An out of shape Shaq would still be too much for Yao or any other centers in the league to handle.

11. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

lol, exactly who will stop Yao once Shaq retires? Yao does not have to be as physically dominating as Shaq to dominate the league. To say he will only be a little better than Rik Smits is a joke. Hell, he is already better than Rik Smits, and once you get him 20 shots a game his numbers will be up. I never saw Rik Smits put up 30 on Shaq. Please Laker fans, take your wet dreams and go to bed.

12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if lilrooster is yaomaniadotcom on lakersground

13. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Taking from the way the posts are written I would agree. I smell a Faker, release the hounds.

14. lilrooster

lilrooster Member

You'all are a bunch of nerds. I like Yao as a player but he is much too soft to become the dominate player he needs to be to get the Rockets a championship without two stars beside him. He can only be one of a three star core if the Rockets want to be champhionship contenders instead of pretenders.

Stop being an idealist and become a realist.

15. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

why are you even here? Do you even like the Rockets or are you here to tell everyone that? I feel like slappin you

16. haven

haven Member

As an adjective, it's "dominant."

Thank you.

17. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Are you calling them nerds just because they do not agree with you?

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Terrible deal for Orlando. The Rockets deal is MUCH better. The Mavs either need to start with Dirk OR offer Finley PLUS ever bit of youth they have (Harris, Johns Howard, future #1s). Even then i don't know if it is better than the Rockets. T-Mac to Dallas just isn't very workable based on what the teams need. Also. Daniels is an URFA I believe, no reason for anyone to trade for him through Dallas when they can sign him w/o compensation.

Harrington is an OK player at an OK salary and is the meat of most Indiana's trade offers. Certainly the Pacers are not going to give him up for ONLY a trade exception. Also, I don't see the Pacers in the major sweepstakes (Shaq/Tmac) unless Jermaine is in the picture. Artest has the talent but is a major PR risk. Harrington is good but no where near star good, let alone superstar good. Harrington and the whole rest of Indy's roster (taking Oneal and Artest off) are not competitive with Houston's bid for Tmac nor any other serious offer for Tmac or Shaq.

That is horrible. Shaq is one of the top 3 players and almost lead his team to a championship. If the Lakers trade him they want (and deserve) major players.

That is in the ball park, but I'd try to do better if I were the Lakers. J Oneal + Tinsley + filler. Or look to somewhere else.

To me the idea Orlando would try to be competive now versus rebuild was clearly shown yesterday with picking Howard over Okafor. Orlando will build the team around Howard now. They will trade TMac for youngish or at least mid-career talent--certainly not a Shaq.

Also, I actually thought a LAL-Orl deal could have made sense a week ago. But it would have been like

Okafor
    +
    Hill (salary)
    +
    J. Howard or Gooden
    +
    some combination of
    Hunter, Declerc, Lue or Gaines (as needed)

FOR

Shaq

But without Okafor--who is ready to play now and could have immediately stepped in for Shaq at least defensively, I don't see an interest from the Lakers. If you are Orlando you then could still keep Tmac or trade for Francis + Mobley--either way you have a beast in the east with Shaq, Gooden/Howard, Stevenson/MLE, Tmac/Mobley, Lue or Gaines or MLE/Francis.

For the Lakers, they would go with Okafor, Malone, George, Kobe, Payton/Lue or Gaines or other FA, plus a bench of Howard or Gooden, Hunter or Declerc, George or Walton, Rush, Fox and Cook off the bench.

Both teams would look to come out very well, thankfully for us Orlando did not take Okafor and will build around D Howard--it completely changes what Orlando wants (youth, potential) and all but assures Tmac is going to be traded and that Shaq is in play with other teams.

19. lilrooster

lilrooster Member

Very good, u are a good english teacher, but leave the basketball evaluation to experts such as myself.

20. lilrooster

lilrooster Member

I called Rox and Blatz nerds because only a nerd would think that I'm a Laker fan.
    Now everyone is entitle to his or her own opinion and my opinion is that the Rocket would have a better chance at a championship with Shaq and T mac than with T mac and Yao. It just so happen that we have some that take offense. Can we all just get alone?