1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq demands Trade. How does this affect the Rockets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jun 19, 2004.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

How unrealistic is this one? ;)

.A. Lakers trades: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
    L.A. Lakers receives: PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 27.8 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.1 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 25.3 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (15.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.2 apg in 40.4 minutes)
    SF Eric Piatkowski (4.1 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 14.3 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +16.0 ppg, +6.4 rpg, and +3.2 apg.

Houston trades: PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 27.8 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (15.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.2 apg in 40.4 minutes)
    SF Eric Piatkowski (4.1 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 14.3 minutes)
    Houston receives: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 67 games)
    Change in team outlook: -16.0 ppg, -6.4 rpg, and -3.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to L.A. Lakers and Houston being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers and Houston had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Twin Towers, here we come ;).

2. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

Amazing idea :) Lakers won't let this unmatchable twin towers appear in the league.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

ESPN.com is all over the Laker implosion. Here's a quote on a possible Shaq to Orlando trade from Marc Stein:

The Lakers would naturally prefer to deal Shaq to an Eastern Conference club, but Shaq's favorite team out there -- Orlando -- doesn't have the pieces necessary to entice the Lakers, even with the No. 1 overall pick coming in next week's draft. Tracy McGrady is the most attractive commodity Orlando can pitch, but a T-Mac-Kobe partnership is less than ideal. If Shaq wants to go back to the team he walked out on in the of summer 1996, at least one more team would have to be involved in the deal, presumably to take McGrady while sending quality youth on to L.A.

And here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=1824810

That last line may have serious impact on the proposed T-Mac to Houston trade. Houston does not have any quality young players to kick in on this deal. It's going to be interesting to see how everything works out.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Houston trades: SF Clarence Weatherspoon (5.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.6 apg in 16.7 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 27.8 minutes)
    PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 6.2 apg in 40.4 minutes)
    Houston receives: PG Gary Payton (14.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.5 minutes)
    C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -3.1 ppg, -5.6 rpg, and -0.8 apg.

L.A. Lakers trades: PG Gary Payton (14.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.5 minutes)
    C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
    L.A. Lakers receives: SF Clarence Weatherspoon (5.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.6 apg in 52 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 75 games)
    PF Drew Gooden (11.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 79 games)
    SG Tracy McGrady (28.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 5.5 apg in 67 games)
    Change in team outlook: +20.0 ppg, +5.8 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

Orlando trades: PF Drew Gooden (11.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.0 minutes)
    SG Tracy McGrady (28.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 5.5 apg in 39.9 minutes)
    Orlando receives: C Kelvin Cato (6.1 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 69 games)
    PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 6.2 apg in 79 games)
    Change in team outlook: -16.9 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston, L.A. Lakers, and Orlando being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston, L.A. Lakers, and Orlando had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

(Orlando also receives some draft picks or something ;).)

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Awesome - thanks. Did not mean to single you guys out, just seemed like a good thread to bring that up in.

I was wondering how soon the "Can We get Shaq as our PF?" talk would begin :) I think the league would nix that idea as fast as possible.... Yao-Shaq matchups are too big (and lucrative) for the league. Shaq is the barometer for Yao and even though pairing them is a fun idea, it leaves the league in a weak state at center.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I wasn't serious at all, but it would sure be fun to watch a team with Yao and Shaq go against one with Kobe and T-Mac... :).

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Nice work Clutch. Where do I sign up?!

8. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

This offseason is going to be wild and I hope that the Rockets Management is going to be virile, active and agressive and will be most inventive with all the possibilities, I like the idea of being a third party in the Shaq/Indiana Trade. If CD is conservative thinking then the Rockets wont be a player and we will miss out on all the great possibilities that lay before us.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Virile:
    [​IMG]

Active:
    [​IMG]

Aggressive 1:
    [​IMG]

Aggressive 2:
    [​IMG]

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Stein said that Indy will be very active in the Shaq sweepstakes and so will Dallas.

I want Indy to get Shaq. He moves to the East and that brings the T-Mac contendors down to 2 teams.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Just so you know, Dallas sportstalk radio is all over this as well. There were noises that Dallas was going after T-Mac. If Mark Cuban decides to play this could get really interesting.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

*coughpimpinmyideacough*

resigned marquis daniels, najera (or bradley) and finley

for

tmac and howard

13. Htown4life

Htown4life Contributing Member

$28 Million Dolaar contract, need I say more. Come on, we don't have Steinbrenner, and to a lesser Cuban

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

do you really think that's a more appealing deal than Francis, Mobley and Cato? It doesn't seem anywhere close to me.

15. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

The article also says that Phoenix wants Shaq too. Maybe Indiana and Phoenix are slowly backing off the McGrady sweeptakes and into the quest for shaq...

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

it's not the best but i'm pretty sure that's the best that the mavericks can do without adding in nowitzki..so we should be happy and relieved.

17. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If it's worth anything?

Magic face tough decision on top pick

By MIKE BRANOM, Associated Press Writer
    June 19, 2004
    ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Orlando general manager John Weisbrod said Saturday the Magic are still in contract discussions with Tracy McGrady, even though the star player has reportedly told the team he wants out.

``I certainly will not confirm that T-Mac is going to be traded,'' Weisbrod said. ``I'm going to continue to say on T-Mac what I have said for the last month, which is that Arn (Tellem, McGrady's agent) and I are in discussions.''

McGrady can opt out of his seven-year, $93 million contract after next season, and has said he will unless Orlando improves dramatically from the 21-61 record this past season. But the Magic have vowed to trade him, rather than letting the four-time All Star leave without any compensation -- like Shaquille O'Neal did eight years ago.

O'Neal has told the Lakers he wants to be traded. He is under contract for another two years, but can opt out after next season.

O'Neal stills lives in the Orlando area in the offseason, fueling speculation the Lakers may try to trade him to the Magic.

``I would expect that I'm going to hear from (Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak) on that, since I think when people talk about Shaq moving I think they know in his mind and his heart that this would be the obvious place he'd want to go,'' Weisbrod said. ``But, when you look at the financial piece of that, it's almost an impossibility.''

O'Neal is owed $27.7 million next year and $30.6 million the following year, making Orlando's chances of acquiring him ``pretty close to mathematically impossible,'' Weisbrod said.

``We'd be fielding a roster with seven guys on it,'' Weisbrod said.

The Magic also brought high school player Dwight Howard in for a workout and interview at their practice facility Saturday. Orlando has the top pick in next week's draft, and is thought to be deciding between Howard and Connecticut's Emeka Okafor -- who worked out for the team Saturday.

``I think were going to have a very difficult decision on our hands,'' Weisbrod said. ``Now that we've gotten a handle on these two guys, it would take something very, very special to trade the pick.''

Added Howard: ``We're both at the top of our games. As far as picking him or me, if they pick him, I am happy for him. He'll be No. 1 and that's great. I'm just happy to be in this draft. There are a million boys who play basketball who wish they were in my position now -- a fortunate position.''

Updated on Saturd

19. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Orlando GM is a fool if he doesn't sign Shaq. It's basically been laid out for them. Signing Shaq and holding onto McGrady basically guarantees them a real and legitimate shot at a title. How do you pass that up?

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why pay Finley as much as TMac?