1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq=3 rings; Kobe= mediocrity

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shooter1583, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

2. rocks4life

rocks4life Contributing Member

kobe suck! kobe sucks! kobe sucks!:rolleyes:

Dude, the guy just pulled off two triple double games in a roll while leading his team to victories. I am not saying that he is the greatest in the world but to call such a good player mediocre than you must be pretty ignorant. You can say that shaq would have never won three championship without kobe. Remember, Kobe is always the one to kill the Spurs in the postseason not shaq. Dont believe me, just listen to any knowledgable analyst and they will say that kobe was a big part in winning the three rings. Man, give some credit where credit is due.

P.S. I also believe that shaq is more dominant than kobe.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

shaq is more important to the lakers than kobe. kobe is the most skilled player in the nba. i watched the 2nd half of the last 2 games (damn i love league pass) and kobe is unbelievable. he just absolutely owns the game when he is in. now these last two games his shot has been on (just as it was off in the first two) so he looks a little more impressive than usual, but damn. he either scores the bucket or makes the pass that leads to the bucket. he also is the dominant defensive rebounder for the lakers and plays tough defense. i don't know where his energy comes from. his game is so smooth and cerebral. he just seems to know exactly how to react to any given situation (one on one, two man trap, defensive rotation, etc). i used to hate him but his play converted me some time last year and continues to. i still root for the lakers to lose every game but kobe is so damn good it's not even funny. i think he definitely belongs above tmac, who is excellent in his own right (and making my fantasy team awesome right now).

4. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Would you like some ketchup to put on your foot?

Shaq is overall, more vital to the Laker's success than Kobe and Jordon's game exceeds Kobe's. But the guy is simply freakin amazing, to say otherwise, is to be in denial.

5. Jaime

Jaime New Member

Back-to-back triple doubles kinda takes the fire out of the Kobe is selfish arguemnt.

Not the biggest Kobe fan but thanks to league pass I've watched the past 2 games hoping to see the Lakers continue to lose and been disappointed only to see Kobe absolutely dominate.

He is scary good. I think they said on TV that he is 1 assist shy of averaging a triple double right now. Thats Oscar Robertson sick

6. aaaa

aaaa Member

Yep i've been converted as well. I always had respect for Kobe for his game but never thought he was the clearcut best current NBA player. But after those 2 triple doubles...dayum....he is da man. Kinda quieted all those critics and those media ppl who are overblowing the incident between him and tex winter.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

haha is all I can say.

The haters will keep hating, and Kobe will keep shutting them up.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Its nice to see that Kobe is creating an identity for himself and proving that he has what it takes to lead a team while Shaq is out.

9. haven

haven Member

Watched that last game Kobe had against the blazers. They were, essentially, triple teaming him. His man covered him on the perimeter... then the guy down low was paying more attention to Kobe than his own man, and if Bryant looked likely to drive, would come out. THen, the nearest guy on the perimeter would also abandon his man at the drop of a hat to go guard Bryant.

I'm not sure I've ever seen another team so responsive to a single opposing player. That's both: 1. a testament to Bryant's ability and 2. a testament to how putrid the rest of the Laker team is right now.

He scored 33 points while being the focal point of the entire opposing defense, without a single other player able to distract the defense from him.

Fricking amazing. Yeah, Shaq's more valuable... but I'd take Kobe over anybody else.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

But, but, but Kobe gets all his points because of Shaq!!! Right? I mean, all Kobe does is shoot open jumpers because Shaq draws the double teams!

:rolleyes:

11. cujo

cujo Member

C'mon....Kobe does not suck. I hate the Lakers, but the truth is the truth.

12. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Kobe's a hell of a player, but Shaq's the reason why they win consistently.

That being said, as many have said before, the Lakers with just Kobe are terrible. Won and Loss record is way more important to look at than stats, just ask Dominique. Kobe was passing way too much in the 4th quarter of their last game against the Cavs. I'd understand in the 1st 3 quarters to get your teammates involved and in the game, but 4th quarter is supposed to be Kobe Bryant time. That's when Kobe's at his best. This is a complaint that many have with Kevin Garnett.
    Again, that blind ass kissing of Rick Fox spectacle you put on threw some of the validity you had out the window in whining about Kobe hating.

#32 LiLStevie3, Nov 6, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2002
  13. AGBee

AGBee Member

Kobe on TNT:
    "With Shaq, we're a 3 championship team. Without Shaq, we're a no championship team."

Hey at least he's honest!

14. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

"With Shaq, we're a three championship team. Without Shaq, we're a no championship team."- Kobe Bryant.

This was said by Kobe during an TNT interview prior to tonight's Lakers-Celtics game. Atleast he realizes that it's Shaq's team ans that THE LAKERS WIN BECAUSE OF SHAQ. Kobe is a great player but he can't lead a team by himself, and the Lakers 2-3 record (likely to be 2-4 after this game) proves it.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Bah...the current Lakers roster isn't made for Kobe. When Shaq retires and they make an changes to develop around Kobe (assuming he stays when Shaq and Jackson leaves), then we'll see if he can lead a team...

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Finally, someone gets it.

Using this logic, when Francis was out, and the Rockets went 2-20, does that mean Mobley is the worst player in NBA history?

17. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Kobe threw up an Iverson like 47 shots against the Celtics. Then again, that may even be beyond Iverson. He got hot there in the 3rd quarter, but then started settling too much on the jumper (17-47 :eek: ). When you have 47 shot attempts and only 7 FT attempts, that shows that you need to attack the basket more. Especially Kobe, who has the strength and athleticism to make the acrobatic moves around the basket to get the "and 1".

18. Miggidy Markell

I remember this same statement for another over-rated sidekick.... I think his name was Spittin... or Trippin... or Quitten, something like that.

BTW, KidRock8. We know your really a Kobe fan.

#38 Miggidy Markell, Nov 8, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2002
  19. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Funny stuff.

20. Miggidy Markell

Also I would like to add that there is a much greater difference between Kobe and Cuttino. Kobe has these unbelievable comparisons to Jordan and could even be better then MJ. :eek: After you hear this over and over you think "He must be able to win, even without Shaq" WRONG!

Now on the other had, Cuttino is labelled as a scoring guard only who can drop 30-40 on you 3-4 times a season.

Comparing Cuttino to Kobe is wrong considereing how "great" Kobe is supposed to be.

Great logic KidRock8...... :rolleyes: