1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Shannon Terry on Johnny Manziel via NFL OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cdain3, Mar 11, 2014.

1. SevenMinuteAbs

Famous Jameis is both physically and mentally gifted. Really smart football wise. I agree though, usually the title winning qbs aren't great pros/great in a pro system.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If I'm not mistaken; Wes Welker and Danny Amendola both came from the Air Raid offense.... so..... yeah....

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I meant to post something about Weller a while ago. Good call.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Just a complete oversight on my part. I have a bad case of stupid that flares up sometimes, so..... yeah....

I think my point still stands though. 3 receivers (and NO QB's) coming out of an offense that set passing records for nearly a decade. Welker and Amendola both went undrafted out of college and were cut in their first training camp. I would've expected, considering their college production, more than 1 first round WR and three overall to come from that offense.

The point remains valid to the Johnny Football discussion in that Leach openly gave interviews describing the lack of sophistication in the Air Raid, but maybe I'm still in the midst of a stupid outbreak.... so.... yeah....

Oddly enough, Kingsbury and Harrrell might have SB rings backing up (or 3rd stringing) for Brady and Rogers, respectively. They may have not been active or on the playoff roster, though.

Oh.... elipses have 3 periods, not four.... so.... yeah.... :p

(I'm just messing with you Flash. No offense taken, hopefully none given also.)

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bucky Brooks had a blog post a while ago where he suggested a defensive HC will fall in love with the difficulty of defending the improvisation and not have a problem with the lack of technical refinement that is probably a big issue for an offensive HC.

It seemed like a pretty smart observation to me.

6. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Brooks is an absolute moron

Defensive head coaches want qb who are capable of taking care of the ball, minimize turnovers and chew up clock

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You're cool. Overall I get your point, its a rather simplistic offense that can turn less than mediocre talent (especially at QB) into record breaking high scoring QBs. You can't knock Texas Tech whom are oddly placed in Lubbock Texas for not being able to recruit top tier talent against other Texas schools like UT, A&M, and even Baylor in recent years. That's not including the other schools coming to Texas and taking highly talented recruits out of state.

My point I guess is yes this offense could be easy to learn but it is more than effective especially if you implement it into a team full of NFL pro talent ala Texas A&M. Don't get me wrong I'm no Red Raider fan and even less of a Manziel fan although I'm sure there's a bit more to receivers running loopty loops down field or "hoping" to get open somehow given their physical limitations. Especially when you don't have Manziels running around in Lubbock and all you have to work with is Klingsburry and Harrell, so again I'm sure it takes much more than improvisation, the way A&M did it these past few seasons.

Also you can see clearly that that offense has protypical players whom again have limitations. Smaller guys that aren't too fast yet smart and quick with terrific hands, that's all you need to be able to make plays in this offense, excluding Michael Crabtree, who astonishingly hasn't done much to separate himself at being that much better, if any, than the other two. Yet look what you get when you put an enormous target with athleticism in the middle of that offense, Mike Evans, who killed last year. Again its effective especially if you insert top notch talent, what possibly makes it BETTER for college kids is that it IS so easy to learn.

So.... yeah..... they still suck.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mitchmantc

Mitchmantc Member

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/slZbSW-RBOE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/slZbSW-RBOE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Manziel just singlehandedly destroyed his draft stock.
    Yikes.

Still want him though, but maybe we won't have to spend our first round pick on him now.

10. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

GM posturing. Dont believe it.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I really doubt it went down like that.

12. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Carlito's way?

1 person likes this.
  13. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

The Manziel fans are dancing

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It's suspect. You'd think Manziel would be really coached up for the combine. Not just for the drills but the interviews as well. Even if it's true that he didn't really read defenses and was simply asked to make plays, it's highly doubtful that the team responsible for getting him ready for the combine wouldn't have helped give him a better BS answer than that. They know that question is coming and if the answer truly was "I don't know, I just make plays" then that's just poor preparation.

15. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Its stuff prepare for random scenarios teams will throw up on a white board. There are little tens of thousands of football situations you can illustrate on. Combined with the fact that he never learn or implemented pro concepts at A & M.

Its completely plausible.

16. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

So I suppose you know better than every draft expert out there. I have not seen a single mock draft that has Johnny lasting past 8 overall.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Why are you guys still paying attention to ANY of these dumbass mock drafts?

Kiper is trying so hard that he'll probably have us picking Mack or Manziel or Clowney or Bottles or Watkins or... you get the point.

None of these guys have any idea of wtf is going on behind closed front office doors, especially when it comes to the Texans'. Worst part about it is these douches still have over a month to keep guessing at what they will eventually get right, since they're projecting we pick EVERYONE number one overall.

Dumb.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

My comment was in response to a post stating that Johnny is a second day pick. It is difficult to believe that a guy will fall from a top 10 pick to the second day of the draft.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Is this you guys first rodeo?

You can't believe any of the 'shocking' BS that hits the media for the next month or two. There will be information and planted misinformation and you can't tell the difference except by knowing the history and credibility of the poster. Teams that covet players above their choice will work to make them drop, agents for players at the same position will leak info to make the top players drop so their guy moves up. And vice versa, teams will pump up and leak a desire for players they want teams in front of them to pick.

Hell some people will make shait up just to get into the media frenzy and get retweets. If it seems fishy, like Manzil's agent did no prep work to secure a $50 million dollar contract, you can bet against it.

If it's a source in Alabama that says something that might help Nick Saban recruit against an SEC rival, you can count on it being BS.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

As much as I don't like Manziel I find it hard to believe that he learned nothing playbook wise while in college. Someone is gonna fall in love with him and iI'm pretty sure he'll go somewhere from 4-8. My guess would be Cleveland at the earliest and Minnesota at the latest.

If Mark Sanchez and Blaine Gabbert are top 10 picks I don't see how this guy isn't.