1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shanghai Sharks released Yao Ming to enter the 2002 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

This is what was quoted in the Media! What does this mean? If he was released, how can the Sharks still have any hold over Yao Ming? It is now clear that the Rockets are going to be asked by the Sharks for MONEY, A USA PLAYER and a Summer Coaching Camp. The Rockets can meet these requests but the player cant be from the NBA.

2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Somebody please retrieve the press clips (or URLs to them) that explain exactly what happened, i.e., were the Sharks the ones who decided that Yao could be drafted this year, and are they the ones who can decide that on second thought he can't be drafted this year.

3. chinese

chinese Member

What I heard is the final decision will be made next
    week, after the meeting between Rockets' representatives
    and the leader of Shanghai Shark. Both sides are optimistic
    of the meeting.
    Basicly nothing more than we knew through our ClutchCity,
    these info is comfirmed from China side.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yao ming is the real deal. i just hope everything works out.

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I could be mistaken but the ceiling for payments to foreign teams is $350,000, anything more would be a violation...I think:confused:

Again, I believe that the NBA rules does allow for this in the sense of a trade. Now if we send a player who may not make the team or needs addition seasoning and will go of his own free will....that may be a another story entirely.

This may not be a bad idea. The Astros have a training facility in Venezula ( I think...definitely in South American) where they get a lot of prospects ( Richard Hidalgo, Bob Abreu, and others) Now China may not be the hot bed of basketball like South American is to baseball but who knows.

Is it really that bad to play some exihibitions in China and have the Chinese team come here to play and train? :cool:

6. Yetti

I have been reading an Article called
    Yao Ming gets NBA nod from Chinese squad. dated 6/8/02
    It said " The Shanghai Sharks have given their stamp of approval for Yao's release in order to clear the big man's path ahead of the June 26th. NBA Draft, Sharks General Manager Li Yaomin said".
    Once again I ask what does this mean?

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks for the information,can you also tell us where was the article written?

8. Stevie Francis

i wonder if he's cleared to play THE WHOLE SEASON?:confused:

9. Yetti

Hi. This Article was on yahoo.com. Although dated 6/8/02 that is only yesterday when I pulled the Article! It was refering to earlier in the year before Yao Ming's name was placed officially in the Draft. There was no indication of the exact date of the Article!