1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane's role will be signficantly diminished in the new season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotblooded, Oct 12, 2007.

1. stq

stq Member

Shane has one of the highest bball IQs in the team, he is always at the right place at the right time.

Smart player usually plays better in motion offense than half-court set plays. When everyone is on the move, which direction do you cut? It requires more thinking, more reading, and better court vision. There is no set play to follow, it's all real time decision making.

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

:eek: how could anyone come up this thread w/o knowing any bball?

just look at our roster. give me anyone who is willing to sacrifice his offense and body to play defense. and at same time, he is fast enough and taller enough to cover 2 or 3.

don't tell me tmac. if you really want tmac to do this job, then you should forget about him to take over at the end of games. you might have to check the injury list for him. :mad:

3. Fuse

Fuse Member

It was hilarious yesterday watching Scola stealing Battier's spot to take up the charge yesterday. They were literally standing side by side when that happened and Battier looked surprised that it wasn't him hitting the deck.

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

agree. other teams will be frustrated. refs will call tons of charging fouls on other teams against rox. :D

5. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

For all the people that say Coach RA is more of a offensive coach and not a defensive coach, Do you think trading Battier would make this team a better defensive team or a worst. IMO trading Shane is not a good idea. He is a workhorse and I don't think people understand the he guards the best player on the other team night after night. With all the offensive players we have now, you have to balance out a team. I understand that someone will not get as much play time as they would like but, if you bring home a championship, I think that will make the pill easier to swallow. Plus it is a long season, so I have a feeling everyone will get their time to shine. Depending on match ups and game flows will probably determine who gets how much playtime and when. Either way you don't go getting rid of valuable assets when your wanting to win. Go Rockets!!! It's Time!!!

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

this is possibly the worst analysis i've ever read. do you even watch basketball?

shane's minutes will go down but i suspect that's going to be an across the board thing, except for possibly yao.

people are clearly having a memory problem. shane's value is very tangible and should you replace him on this team with a lesser player we'd certainly see why.

you people that want to trade shane need to get your head out of nba 2k8.

#46 BigM, Oct 12, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  7. longbow111

longbow111 Member

I totally have no problem that Shane play 20-25min. Actually, I hope ROckets can play more players this season like some euro teams with 10 or more players in the rotation. You can't do this to last year's Rockets becuase of lack of quality players. But you can now as there're so many good and different type of players on the bench for coach to choose.

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm for giving Shane 30 seconds off at the end of the 3rd quarter. Other than that, I want him on the court.

9. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

BUT Shane and Scola play 2 different positions.

Duh!

10. mos-def

mos-def Member

i am sorry, but i just feel like those who get all excited about shane, or anyone, taking charges, are similar to all those utah jazz fans that got all excited to see stockton flop all the time.

taking charges is gay. play good defense, stay in front of your man, and body up to him. the best way to stop people from driving to the basket is to knock them on their ass.

and i love how everyone talks about all these un-measurable attributes shane battier has. check the stats, shane usually gets fairly torched by those upper eschelon players he defends. oooooo! instead of kobe scoring 50 he only scores 40 against shane, WOW.

Scola will prove to be just as smart, just as good a defender, better passer, and a scorer. but whatever, i guess nice guys always finish first, even when they are losers who take up rosterspots that they dont deserve.

11. mos-def

mos-def Member

oh, and by the way, no **** shane and scola play different positions.

the point is that scola has all those amazing "intangibles" plus he can score, is an amazing passer and finisher, can post up without turning the ball over, isn't scared to score, and does actually shoot well.

but ya, awsome, lets play battier all the time! man i wish we had 4 more battiers, a team of battiers! cool! people flopping all over, passing up open 3s, playing "good" defense, and possesing supposed high basketball IQs!

12. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

you should just stop posting because you obviously have no clue about basketball at all. :eek:

13. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

It never works out this way, just like when Fisher guarded T-Mac effectively in last year's playoffs. T-Mac's taking his pull up jumper no matter who's on him, and usually the defender doesn't have much to do with whether it's going in or not.

What will happen, however, is that either T-Mac or Bonzi will be stuck guarding a relatively quick and talented SG (In the NBA, who doesn't have one?). This is where we will miss Shane.

14. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

This is officially the dumbest post EVER
    Let's look at Shane's accomplishments: a 1st round draft pick, Mr Basketball in Michigan, an All American at Duke, selected to the USA National Team, ACC Player of the year, won the Naismith and Wooden awards 2001; to name a few

Not to mention his positive presence in the community and locker room

So you think that all the committee's that gave him these awards, all the coaches that voted for him, and the USA slection committee were FLAT OUT wrong in their evaluaion of him and their desire to pick him?

This is what the shrinks call a "REALITY GAP"

15. Pringles

Pringles Member

wats wrong with having lots of intangibles? some teams have too much tangibles... new york knicks? supposed high basketball IQ? battier may not be scola, but remember, scola hasn't proven ****. i'm not saying hes bad or anything, i'm just saying battier has played in the nba way more than scola. also, 5 million isn't alot, especialy for a player like battier. compare him to stromile, juawn howard, miles, and bunch of other overpriced players.

taking a charge isn't automaticaly flopping. ginobli, raja bell, dirk, devin harris, they all flop. battier? takes a charge agaisnt huge enourmous players. harris? takes charge against people shorter than him.

with many players that are known for their selfishness, having an unselfsih player in battier is good. intangibles does not mean a cool nice guy. cool nice guy = ryan bowen, scott padgett

sorry to break your heart but
    ryan bowen + scott padgett < Battier

him playing 20 minutes is fine, but forcing a trade? of course not. as previous posters said, with players that are not known for playing a whole season, having battier as insurance aint bad. not bad at all.

16. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Why does it matter how good a defender Scola is. He is never going to guard the other teams best perimeter player. Scola is a PF, can you envision him trying to chase Kobe, Lebron and Dwade around. And he wont be expected to hit three point shots. What does his game have to do with Battier being on the team?

Also, in case you havent heard, basketball has this silly rule about fouling players. You can only stop someone from driving to the basket by knocking them on their ass six times a game at most, then you foul out. Maybe in the season opener we should just push Kobe to the ground everytime he touches the ball and at the end of the game we can be glad he didnt get to the hoop, but instead went about 78-80 from the FT line.

As for taking charges, how is that gay? It is far better for Battier to take a charge on Kobe, then for Yao to block a shot from Kobe. Plus I guarantee you, Shane has a lot more guts to step in front of someone and get leveled then you have.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

You think taking charge is easy? you got to be willing to get the contact, and the timing to do it right. Go try and take 1 charge when you next play bball. I guess thats impossible because you have no clue what taking charge is.

"stay in front of your man"? you really got to start playing bball before you made such comments. so taking charge for you meant leaving your man to go for a drive to the lane while you stand in between him and the rim? taking charge is a different sort of help defense, where you slid in and take away the lane of the player your "team-mates" is guarding.

i really hope guys that makes "tactical" advice do have some knowledge of bball before they start making them.

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

$1 says that Battier leads the team in minutes this year. (He was second only to Alston last year.) He's the third best player by a lot, and his durability and conditioning makes him more likely to play a lot of minutes than Yao or McGrady. His defense is absolutely vital, and he does all the little things on offense that allow other players to make a play.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Tarheel fan?

20. slipublic

slipublic New Member

yepp, he is a defence player but not the other side!