1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier calls glass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Oct 20, 2009.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Calling glass is un-Battier like... and he taunted a bit afterward... that's aggression.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Stop being a pu$$y, everyone knows McGrady and Yao can score that's exactly why they double sometimes triple team those 2. From there Shane should not be passing up wide open shots just to defer back to the players that got him open.

Its known who our scorers are but it doesn't make sense to defer to them and put all the pressure on them to make a play when you know you can help out on the offensive end as well.

Yes you do have to learn how to play your role but at the same time you have to know when to step up and see that the team needs your scoring to win the game, not just defense.

And you're right, the Lakers just last year were leaving Shane wide open because they knew he was going to "defer" back to Yao or Ron. But now you want to pick up your game on that side, of course that makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Huh? Shane will shoot if he's wide open and in the corner, everyone knows that. He just generally defers to Yao, Mcgrady, Artest, Brooks, who do the offensive job better than he does. That's all.

I seem to remember him utterly wrecking the Lakers in Game 4, and as the Lakers really never bothered fronting or double-teaming Yao in that series, it made more sense to give the ball to him.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I do not recall Battier passing up quality open 3s when there isn't anyone else with a better shot. Sometimes he's not open, othertimes, others have a better opportunity. Do you have any video or other evidence of Battier consitently passing up quality oopen shots?

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Because last year, he didn't need to score. Last year all he needed to do, offensive wise is run a few plays and camp in the corner. This year, since nobody can create their own shot, he's going to have to carry a huge load scoring-wise as well as continue to play his tenacious defense on the other end.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Just videos of him passing.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Interesting analysis. Do you think you could put together two videos, one of his shot last season and one of his shot in preseason that illustrates what you are saying? I'd like to see that side by side. It sure appears to me his release is much quicker but I haven't been able to pin down the difference like you have.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I could put one together that shows it, but I dont really think there is much dispute that his release so far this year is quicker...I noticed that in his second game back.

Ariza4MVP(lulz), go download the highlight video and see for yourself...the one in this video was the only one I recall that was at the end of the shotclock. Every other shot was within the flow of the offense with time left on the clock.

FLASH, I realize he was out of order in the first place calling you a douche(btw, negrep for him for saying that in the first place), but it certainly doesnt mean you couldnt be the bigger man and not respond in kind.

9. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I'm still seeing the same Battier. He's a good defender, an OK spot up 3-point shooter and that's all. He might try to creat for others off the dribble a little bit in the preseason while not many teams care about defense, but I bet you he wouldn't dare put the ball on the floor in the playoffs. He will still shoot more than half of his shots beyond the arc and when the night is off he's pretty useless on the offensive end. He could be a good piece in a championship team like the Spurs or the Celtics, but in this Rockets yes he is expendable.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont understand how you're "seeing" the same Battier when you claim he's playing different now in the preseason, which you've seen, but in the future, which you can't see yet, is when you think he'll be the same 'ol battier...

11. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Battier has really impressed me this pre-season..

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Same here. He has been like a machine out there.

I feel like we can float around 500 or better until Mcgrady returns.

13. newlookrockets

ya u idiots w/ no tmac and yao shane has to score more...DUHHHHHHHH, where the **** have you been

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Well, I see flash 21 hit the battier is king button :rolleyes: Whomever said there were better offensive options or that he knew it was one less shot for yao doesn't know much about basketball. What were the options when the rockets had 4 guys score in a game? What about when yao went down and 3 rookies were playing in the playoffs? ait comes down to just stepping up like Ariza did in the playoffs last yr and making yourself a threat. Its not something the coaches should have to tell you to do especially when tracy and yao are being defended the way they were vs utah in the playoffs.

I hope he goes back to becoming a versitile scorer like he was in memphis. A guy who moved without the ball, slashed to the basket, and ran the floor on the for transition baskets. No one is asking shane to do something he can't do, he's just scared or doesn't want it.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nice post buddy. You'll be upgraded from rookie status in no time!

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

In the first game back in the preseason, all his shots were from 3pt range. Nothing was a slash, a lane fill, or a backdoor play. So yes, it was the same to me also.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sorry, I'll make sure to make sure my opinions match yours before posting :rolleyes:

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I agree, there was nothing douchey about my statements, although I was actually refering to Shane, he really needed to stop being such a punk when it was his time to help out offensively.

Someone stated Ron Harper & Derek Fisher as scorers that took a backseat to Kobe, Shap, MJ and others, yes very true. BUT they knew when to step up and help their team with a portion of the load.

What I mean is, Shane didn't have to carry the load AT ALL, not at all but he did need to learn when his time came to releave some of the pressure from our scorers and attract attention to himself on the offensive end. He should know when its time to step up and when its time to let the stars shine, he didn't do that.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he specifically said his first game back he would stand back and see where he fit with the new guys and determine how he could help. Since that first game he's been "different". That was one game, there's been other since. I'd wait and continue to watch more games before determining if he's the same Shane. This is almost like that guy claiming Anderson sucked like he said he would after one preseason game..and as he played better and better he insisted he knew he truly sucked and would later on.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think we should be comparing MJ and Kobe's teammates to other guys....these guys are some of the best ever for a reason. Are we going to say Luc Longley and Steve Kerr knew how to step up too? These guys did what they do best when the opportunity presented itself and it presented itself not because they created it, but because Hall of fame guys like MJ, PIP, Shaq, and Kobe knew when to give them and not give them the ball. I don't remember any of these guys bumping their scoring output significantly when those greats were injured, then again neither of those duos have really been out with injuries at the same time for an extended period of time, so we can't really know what the role guys would or would not do.