1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, May 10, 2009.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I really don't understand where Kobe gets his defensive reputation from...a lot of games I've watched, he plays like a safety and just roams around looking for steals. Case in point...this series with Battier. And last year's Finals with Rondo.

2. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What a game. We should all be so proud of this team. Shane outscoring and outrebounding Kobe while shutting him down in a playoff game. Are we having the Duke Shane back? 2 more times, Shane. Beat LA!

3. Mr. Space City

there's VERY few people i respect in the NBA

Shane Battier is one of those guy on that short list.

He goes out and plays evey game like hi last. i never seen this dude slacking or playing lazily. He leaves 100% on the floor and as a coach and a fan, thats all you can ask for. Factor in his attitude, class, intensity, and sportsman ship to his great defensive ability and his excellent shooting skills, he's easily one of my favorite players of all-time

<3 shane. hope he retires in a rockets uniform

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

does getting open count as an intangible ? :D

His ability to float to the best spot on the floor to get open is incredible, it sounds easy, but so many guys forget to do it and get caught up in watching others do the work.....he seriously never takes a second of the game off, he's always doing something that's making him and the team more efficient..

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

But, but....see Kobe had to play all those extra games in the OLYMPICS...thus its why he's not as quick now...so what if Lebron is still putting up 48 point near triple doubles even though he played in the Olympics too, THATS why Shane is getting his advantage

:p

6. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

The only good defender that I've see so far, from the Lakers team, is Sasha Vujacic.

He is so pesky on defense, constantly swiping at the ball. Also, he stays on his man like glue to paper.

7. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

This is what kills me though. He should have been creating open sho0ts for himself the last three years. I pretty much gave up on him yesterday. Ready to move on and all.

Eating my words or whatever, if the light has finally turned on that we can't win a championship now or later without this type of production from him then so be it.

Go Shane, give me 20 more on Tuesday!!!

8. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Lisa Salters interviews Shane right after the 2nd quarter ends. He is pouring sweat on her.
    Lisa: you know you sweat on me more than anyone[in the league]
    Shane: it is only because I love you

classic reparte

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Shane is the key to the game. Right now Kobe is playing him like Rondo and totally ignoring him offensively. Shane is a great spot up 3 shooter and if he can hit those wide open 3's consistently it will force Kobe to play some defense.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think Durvasa meant he cant create shots for himself, not just that he wont.

11. sn09

sn09 Member

Shane outscored kobe tonight? damn straight he did! amazing performance defensively on kobe as usual, but more suprisingly, he had a stellar performance on the offensive end as well!

Shane should've looked at Kobe and then at the commentators and said ' He can't guard me, he can't guard me!' ;)

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's correct. He deserves major props tonight. I'm sure the Lakers will try to rotate out quicker to him which will make it harder for him to shoot in the next game.

13. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

i think shane is wearing on kobe alittle. kobe's had to really work for his points. most of them have been contested jumpshots. But like I said earlier the key is to make him expend energy on the defensive end. and today shane made him do that. Just like most teams put their star players on the worst offensive opponent, kobe gets put on shane to conserve energy. batman, you don't let him do that. ever.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that little jumper he hit from the baseline looked nice, and they've ran a play for him before where hehits one fromt he top from about 15 feet...i'd like to see houston run him off some picks so he can shoot those 15 footers...i dont see kobe leaving him alone even for a second at the 3 pt line..

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's a good point that you have brought up.

16. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Amen to this thread.

17. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Shane is the real man. I love him. he did a great job in Game 4, keep it up!

18. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

kobe cant hang with shane lol

19. Electro

Electro Member

hmm, really?
    how?

20. Electro

Electro Member

yes, me too.
    do not ever trade shane...it's simple.