1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane and Ronald named to "All-Defensive Second Team"!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, May 6, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Kobe and garnett being on first team is a joke. Duncan although the team defense slipped has been better than garnett. Lebron is a better defender than some or u are giving him credit for. They had the best defense in the league. How does that happen with williams and west in the backcourt and big z and verajo on the frontline? Ron and Battier have been lit up by lesser wings this year. This wasn't one of their better years defensively but better than Kobe. Where was birdman? Yao, billups, prince?

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I remember a thread about an yahoo article or something that predicited the defensive teams. I think it had Artest 1st and Battier 3rd or something and thought it'd make more sense to have them both 2nd team cuz they overrated one and underrated the other. But still surprised to see it actually happen ;)

3. Hmm

Hmm Member

any reason why they put the selected players' points per game on display.. when the selection is supposedly for defensive acknowledgement..?

4. RocketRedd45

RocketRedd45 Member

I believe that is the amount of points they got from the voting

5. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

If they have an award for best defensive player that changed game...Yao should be #1 or something is wrong with this rule.

In fact you know, **** this...Yao IS THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THIS ****ING LEAGUE!! Did you see how no one can EVER penetrate and do layup against Yao??? How he literally forces teams to take jump shot after jump shot every time they play Houston?? Tell me one player in this league that can do that?? Did u see him block Gasol in a one on one match up??? He's not just good at altering shots inside, he's the best one on one defensive player big man inside too. He blocked Duncan too!! And notice a lot of teams don't want to go at him or throw to their big man and let him go at Yao...even Gasol is afraid. So i mean what more do you want him to be to be considered a great defensive player?? He ain't going to be fast like Artest and Shane because they're different size. What is the requirement for defensive player of the year really?? I have no doubt Yao met all and more......

6. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

Chris Paul, elite defender? That's a good one.

7. landryfans

landryfans Member

Yao is not good at statsheet, if rockets go to the WCF or even get champ, things will change...

8. drich

drich Member

Kobe should not be there over Wade sorry :rolleyes:

9. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

He is already one of the best basketball stealers of all time.
    He had the most consecutive games with a steal (108 games)

10. matty101

matty101 Member

I'd take that second team for my defense over the first team any day of the week.

11. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Agreed. D Wade deserves a spot on first team. IMO, the teams should be

Dwight Howard
    Lebron James
    Shane Battier
    Dwayne Wade
    Chris Paul

and then second team

Chris Andersen
    Tim Duncan
    Ron Artest
    Kobe Bryant
    Rajon Rondo

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Yeah, I laughed when he finished runner-up for DPOY. It's a joke. He plays solid defense most of the time now and gets a highlight block every 10th game. I have yet to see him put together an entire game of great defense much less the type that would get his name mentioned as DPOY.

Kobe hasn't played First Team caliber defense since he shut down Scottie Pippen 10 years ago.

13. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yao has been playing solid defense since his 2nd or 3rd year in the league. What has taken his game to the next level is that the officials have found a consistent middle ground for contact on defense. The hands straight up rule has made him much more of a shot changer even if he doesnt get the block.

Actually I would have been a little suspect if both had been first team, since James had one of the wing spots sewn up with his 2nd in DPOY voting. But I think a first team/second team split for Battier and Artest would have been more than fair and accurate.

14. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Flip Rondo and Paul, and then kick off Paul for Billups or Kidd.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

calm down my friend. yao should have been mentioned or got a lot of votes, but relax.

dwight howard is the best defensive player in the game. his team's defense was #1 in efficiency and #2 overall.

16. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Great job by Shane and Ron. I wasn't crazy about signing up Ron Ron but he's turned in a superb season.

17. t_mac1

umm... outside of the greats like michael jordan or our very own dream, who the hell can do that on both ends? you expect lebron to control the entire offense and then play 40 minutes of shutdown defense? the defense he plays throughout the game is actually better than you give him credit for. yeah, he's no shut down defender like shane or bowen in their primes, but he's getting there.

see how joe johnson rarely wants to get the ball when lebron was on him in game 1. and yet he demands the ball whenever delonte west was on him. plus, his team had the best overall defense this year.

the thing i am pissed out is shane should have gotten the 1st team if KG got it since they both missed time.

kobe does NOT deserve any all-nba defense for the past 3-4 years.

18. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

So because he gets steals that means he's a good defender? I don't think so.

19. t_mac1

well for a PG, he's better than you give him credit for. i mean, stealing "is" a "defensive" stat.

it's like saying just b/c he gets points, does that mean he's a good scorer? ;)

let's just be glad our guys got some love. 2nd team ain't all that bad.

20. fmp087

fmp087 Member

LOL @ how all the people that are the faces of the NBA are on the first team. I guess defense is all about highlight reel blocks nowadays.