1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Teams don't want CP3 for free

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jun 18, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No one really expected CP3 to fall off a cliff. I thought his decline would be a lot more gradual, the previous season before he got it he still looked like an elite player.

da_juice, Denovo and IBTL like this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

As I mentioned elsewhere... everybody was all yippy skippy to give CP3 that fat contract because "when we re-sign him it's all 'over the cap money' so its not like its cap space we could actually use anyway... Les/Tilman will just pay the huge LT bill - but its not my money..."

Then Tilman and Morey gutted the 'flex' contracts and shoved that huge a$$ contract to fit into part of the 'below the cap' money - leaving us with little flexibility...

I tell folks constantly that its a business... but they dont want to listen... smh...

BeardNation13 likes this.
  3. hooroo

hooroo Member

rashard lewis, bosh, & dirk are some over the hill players morey offered the super max to. there are probably a few others.

his luck finally ran out and one of them finally agreed to sign.

RocketTheory and daywalker02 like this.
  4. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Bosh would’ve been a great signing if he didn’t have that unfortunate condition.

Denovo likes this.
  5. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

They are delusional. Anything Morey does they will just slurp it down without having their own rational thought. That is why Morey is able to get away despite 12 years and never reaching NBA finals

cheke64 and kjayp like this.
  6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But he does have it, so it wouldn’t have been.

7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he has made many amazing ones, the amazing ones outway the bad deals. Every GM does that

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

There are so many little Moreys on here... they all think its about being so clever that you find ways to circumvent the cap - as if the cost is of no concern... "but but Tilman said he would spend whatever he had to..." ...smh....

BeardNation13 likes this.
  9. 34to11

34to11 Member

Stop it.

Your obvious logic and guarded optimism are not compatible with the revisionist history and whiny tone being established around here.

BamBam and da_juice like this.
  10. BigBum

BigBum Member

It means you have to pack him with 8 first rounders for compensation.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

wat? He has consistently been falling off for years.

Nearly every player puts out 100% on their contract year. The man wanted to be paid.
    Last year he was playing for a ring.
    Once we lost core players during the last off season, it was very obvious Houston was not going to win a ring. CP0 knew it. Harden knew it, as it was obvious he was going full Westbrook to get MVP. The signs were there. Most of you homers refused to see it. There was little chemistry this year.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed.
    Its possible he could stay about the same as this year and end up being serviceable. Paat that who knows.

I would ask someone to explain what a buyout scenario would look like in terms of cap hit and next year? Im asking from bbs point of view as speculation people want to jump my case. Just asking?
    Also what if he were to retire after this coming season?

Fwiw i dont buy that the relationship is unsalvageable more that they are 2 guys that can be heated. Its possible that they probably dont like each other. I think harden is a hard guy to like in person.

Harden does need to do ball movement and when cp3 played well he showed a mastery of the team that harden could not.

People have been sh**itting on the rockets quite a bit and finally a negative story has stuck

JayGoogle likes this.
  13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

So is Durant going to NYC or not?

14. sungjina

sungjina Member

Why can't you homers just admit that Morey made a huge mistake?

An injury prone guard who is rapidly declining will be getting $38.5 million next year, $41.35 million the year after and then $44.2 million for the final season.

But you're right, I'm just whining about the fact that the future of the Rockets is screwed. :rolleyes:

cheke64 likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Shame that all the sensationalism has gotten to the “good guys” in NBA reporting. I used to like Shams.

16. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

There would’ve been no way to have known that would be the case though.

Strictly from a signing stand point, at the time, Bosh would’ve been a great get opposed to the other two he mentioned.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You can look at his stats, he completely fell off this past season. His VORP, for example, is the lowest it has ever been...in his entire career.

So no, he hasn't been consistently falling off for years, he took a sharp nosedive this year, and literally no one thought so the previous year. I don't want to hear hindsight crap. Everyone loved CP3 his first season here and everyone still thought of him as an elite PG.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , this has been part of my complaint about all the assets used / wasted in ducking the tax this year …. when they could have simply done it at the end of the run.

They threw away all their movable contracts , a first round draft pick , a second round pick , Melton and finally didn't use the MLE …. sure could use a MLE type player on the roster right now - one les spot to fill with a minimum signing.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I bet Chris talked to Lebron about it, he won’t do it in public as that would harm his reputation and the org.

There is no way CP3 does not think about other options and other contenders, he is on his last hammy!

A small miracle if he doesn’t get injured during the season.

He is a pro and will ride out his massive payday even if he hates JH's guts or beard which is not the case.

And he is still good for his 16-17 ppg and 7-8 apg.

#39 daywalker02, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  20. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Can’t say he’s rapidly declining after 1 down year. Next year we’ll have a better idea. But yea hopefully he gets his ish together