1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Suns fire their GM, Ryan McDonough

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wonder if Rosas ends up taking a GM job somewhere and that position opens up if Hinkie would accept. Wish he would right now.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know. I know that Morey and Hinkie had an exceptional working relationship and got a long really well. I would be very excited if he came back. Last I heard he was raising his family close to Stanford, he may not be keen on moving his family.

I can tell that he is still a Rockets fan. He has done some side work since leaving the NBA. He did some work with an NFL team (I think the Falcons) and is still doing a wide array of side projects.

I asked someone about Hinkie being a GM again, after all the Sixers have talent and Sam is barely 40. I was told Sam would rub a lot of owners and basketball people the wrong way. He is very bright and non conventional. It would require the proper fit.

malakas, xaos, Chamillionaire and 2 others like this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I would love to have him back.

xaos, Chamillionaire and Nook like this.
  4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Wouldnt be surprised if true, and I believe Rosas had the same thing happen to him in Dallas as far as rubbing people the wrong way. I believe he wanted to trade Dirk and was shown the door immediately.

malakas and Nook like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Nook

Rosas: Hey Cuban, I think we should trade Dirk.
    Cuban: WTF? No. .....but in theory just for giggles, where would you trade him?
    Rosas: Houston
    Cuban: ..........
    Cuban: Rosas, you are done here.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Haha well Houston wanted Dirk and did ask about him at one time. Really pissed Cuban off too.

Deuce likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I can't imagine the package for old Dirk would be worth much in terms of the assets we had...

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wasn't he the same guy that ran the Detroit Pistons to sh**.

Then had a terrible year with the Hornets when they were in NOLA?

This has to be a cost saving move of some sort cause I can't recall Bower ever having success in his most recent previously held positions.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The NBA league office had input on this pick, I guarantee you.

Bower is like Colangelo and Stu Jackson..... they are favorites of the league office and they are traditional basketball men that will push to compete and make traditional decisions when it comes to culture and roster formation.

This pick is consistent with what was passing around the league, that the Suns are wanting to start to win games.

This off season is going to be interesting in Phoenix. We will likely see the Suns attempt to isolate the young players they want to keep and surround them with more veteran players. Bower's not going to care where a player was taken in the draft in the past.

malakas and Deuce like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Bower was a figure head in Detroit. VanGundy ran the show, all Bower's did was help facilitate the moves that coach wanted done.

In New Orleans, he did quite well for awhile. He was a big part of the Chris Paul draft pick. He traded JR Smith for Tyson Chandler. He drafted Davis West and signed Peja to shoot next to Paul. He lead the Hornets when they were making a deep playoff push. After Paul demanded a trade, everything fell a part.

Having said that, he will do whatever ownership tells him to do. This is a hire that was likely suggested by the league office.

malakas likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member