1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Rockets balance of styles and stars to mark this summer in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, May 23, 2019.

1. PWR

PWR Member

That is my point. The isolation offense isn't the problem. It did what it was supposed to do...limit turnovers.

That isn't the problem. Hell, I could make an argument, that it's the only thing our offense does right.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure if you can really draw that conclusion just based off this. rockets could average the least turnovers by far but as we saw in game 6, if you turn the ball over multiple times in the closing moments, yeah its going to cost you and absolutely was considered a problem then. You can't really generally base this off of 0 actual circumstances and situations.

its not like teams dont win when they lose the turnover battle. you just set yourself up for less room for error. all games are different. the common theme this year vs GS and the winner was the rebounding battle.

3. PWR

PWR Member

Yes. Scroll back up. I just mentioned pace. Again, that has nothing to do with Paul complaining about ball movement.

Pace does not equal ball movement.

4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Thanks. That was bugging me too. Though by my rough math, and assuming the points listed all came from Field Goals (so what about Free Throws?) the Warriors were still a hair better in points per shot: 1.31096 to 1.30406. 100.5 to 100: both teams are really close, and both were better than the Bucks' 1.29648 or Raptors' 1.28460.

The Rockets have needed someone who can shoot well from three for awhile, and Eric Gordon with a great a game or two every four or five, isn't going to cut it.

HP3 likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Harden does those dribbles to size up his opponent and get in rhythm. There not without purpose. Harden could stand to be faster but he does things for a reason, he isnt stupid.

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I respect you trust your eye test that much. I don’t. Does Harden have a certain number of possessions where he takes the full 8 to get the ball up? Yes. But statistically these claims can’t all be real. If on average he has the ball for 6ish seconds, that’s less than the 8 he ALWAYS takes to bring the ball up. The dribble around for 16 seconds all the time, it just can’t be possible when his average is 6 seconds.

“Paul usually takes less time.” I can get behind that. To a degree. I’d love to see the real data on just how wide the gap is on their average time of getting the ball across the line. I’d bet it’s closer than most assume.

And for gods sake it’s 2019 and we’re all people devoted enough to a basketball team to discuss it with strangers regularly on a message board.

Who here ISNT watching the games?

Can we put that one to rest?

Easy and HP3 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Eric Gordon also takes a lot of tough shots to be fair, a lot of threes come from way deep.

Gray_Jay and Vivi like this.
  8. PWR

PWR Member

So, they didn't run the isolation plays right. How do you know that they would have run ball movement correctly? That's an assumption.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That is a wrong conclusion. The other teams scored more points not because they took more two pointers. It's because they took more shots, period.

According to your numbers, here are how they fair in terms of points per shot:

Rockets: 1.30
    Warriors: 1.31
    Bucks: 1.30
    Raptors: 1.28

The Rockets are pretty much the same as the Warriors and the Bucks and slightly better than the Raptors who shot the least 3s.

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

CP3 gone.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Wonder whose side Capela was on.. Lol..

Stormy1234 and True Rocket like this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

I have no problem with Paul being upset. We need someone that can criticize Harden when need be. Paul should be that guy. I'm not even saying Harden was doing anything all that wrong in game 6. I'm just saying It's bad if no one is ever brave enough to call out Harden for anything.

Harden and Paul do seem like a bit of an odd couple in certain ways. Paul is used to being the absolute team leader. But, Harden is clearly the guy with all the power here in Houston.

By the way, this isn't something unique to Harden, and Paul, and the Rockets. Superstar players have big big egos. These things happen.

seeingred, BaselineFade and Gray_Jay like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

tbh id say its alot more than you think man. alot of people here say they watch the games "all the time" blah blah but i honestly don't believe so. There's a handful of people on this board that actually do and its really telling in their posts. You can clearly weed out those who just generalize and just go with some random narrative. And that its obvious they don't keep up consistently no matter how bad they try to convince otherwise.

bmelo likes this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Ya knew I had to offer comment... lol

Your take here seems somewhat revisionist...

If you are saying the decision to freeze out D12 on offense was completely right - I would disagree...
    When D12 got froze out... we became waaaaay to overly dependent on Harden as pretty much our sole option... which barely snuck us into the playoffs (forfeiting our first rd pick from the Ty Lawson deal) and we were then bounced in the first round... how was that the 'right' call?

We should have played the hand we were dealt and continued to utilize D12 for whatever he was worth... good or bad...
    either...
    A) D12 inefficiencies hamper our reg season performance and we miss the playoffs - thereby allowing us to retain our first rd pick...
    B) We were more diversified and able to perform more akin to our previous years WCF appearance...

The argument I made at the time was making our team so one dimensionally reliant on Harden wasnt gonna work in the playoffs - and it didnt...

Obviously time has shown it was the proper time to move on from D12... but to cut him out of the game plan mid season was not the correct play... imo...

and just for the record... i dont believe that was solely James' decision but more Morey...

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I guess I do get that feel, but it usually has more to do that I believe a very large portion of people here ONLY watch Houston.

Just seems so crazy to me that someone who didn’t watch every Rockets game they possibly could would have enough interest to post on a message board dedicated to that team.

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

This is all speculative, but their relationship felt more strained from afar this season. Last season they mentioned hanging out with one another, talking a lot more in and outside of the game, etc. This season there were many moments where one of the two would be clamoring for the ball and not get it. Again, maybe it's nothing, but our style of play is not conducive to two ball dominant PGs.

Stormy1234 and bmelo like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I definitely do think there's a significant portion that are just focused on houston casually.

gotta keep in mind you always have those random trolls, player only fans, etc..

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

the honeymoon phase happens everywhere. it never lasts though because its never just a easy road. its how they actually respond to situations like this after is what defines it.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Harden indeed needs that much time to size up the defense and get into rhythm, then that's his weakness. Did you notice that even when we were behind with little time left, he still played in that slow mode.

I have come to accept that that is what Harden is. There is no such thing as a perfect player. Harden is a great player with some flaws.

seeingred and bmelo like this.