1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Shams) Kawhi Leonard wants out of San Antonio

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Jun 15, 2018.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Or, if they don’t like any offers right now, they can hold Kawhi until February. He’s not sitting out a second season.

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I hope the Spurs wait until after Free Agency to Trade him. Don't assist in building another Super team in the west. If Kawhi wants the Lakers so bad, send him there and ensure he will be alone.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I know it's the vaunted Spurs, but do you seriously believe there is a chance Kawhi goes to camp with them in September? I don't.

He won't sit out another season because he won't be in San Antonio. Treating him too harshly makes a rough situation worse. It would be a very bad look for the Spurs in the eyes of NBA players. Their leverage and Kawhi's value both go down the longer this drags on.

I expect a trade soon.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. DVauthrin

Yes, I absolutely believe there’s a chance the Spurs still have Kawhi at the start of training camp. The only way he’s not in San Antonio still is if the Spurs receive an offer to their liking. Considering they didn’t get one on draft night tells me there is a pretty decent chance they plan on either trying to repair the relationship/make him turn down a supermax offer next summer, or feel like they can get comparable offers in February. Also, if Kawhi sits out a second season, he’s committing career suicide and his reputation around the league will be significantly tarnished.

I’m also not buying the notion the Spurs are unfairly treating Kawhi Leonard. Kawhi tanked their season last year, when by all accounts, he was medically cleared to play after the all star break. If NBA players are dumb enough to think they can pull that kind of crap with their employer and still get exactly what they want, they are in for a rude awakening. Sure, it’s a players league, but you don’t pull a stunt like Leonard did with zero repercussions.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not saying the Spurs have been unfair to Kawhi. But if they play their hand too hard, especially with Pop bailing in a year or two, there could be long term damage to their image in the eyes of NBA players.

Because of his supposed plan to sign with the Lakers or Clippers next summer, Kawhi's value to other teams plummets the minute training camp starts.

I think the Spurs are smart enough to understand they have a lot to lose playing hardball. If they don't get "an offer to their liking" soon, they never will. It becomes time to take the best offer and move on.

8. DVauthrin

If Kawhi does get traded, I expect it to be to either Philadelphia or Boston. That said, as crazy as it sounds, it wouldn’t also surprise me if the Spurs forced Kawhi to turn down a $219 million supermax contract next summer to leave for the Lakers or Clippers. That’s a lot of money to leave on the table.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

L.A. has to spit this BS out if they want any chance of stopping Lebron from resigning his contract with Cleveland. Whether it is true or not that they had a good conversation with the Spurs, they are just trying to make Lebron feel like they are getting that third star he requested for. I trust Magic and Jeanie Buss as much as I trust a used carsalesman. I trust Pop and his refusal to trade with the Lakers more.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My guess is the Lakers. If not them, the Celtics. I don't know if the Sixers have (or are willing to give up) enough in a trade for a guy that might leave next year.

Kawhi has already turned down the supermax. It's no longer relevant to the discussion.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

For no real reason, I have a feeling they're gonna fold here and trade him to LA. I hope I'm wrong.

A_3PO, Os Trigonum and Cash Cam like this.
  12. omgTHEpotential

In jail for theft of millions of dollars. The only reason it's not considered a theft in the NBA is because Kawhi had "leverage". And that's the possibility of him coming back to San Antonio.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Didn't Woj report yesterday that Kawhi is adamant he won't step on the floor again with the Spurs? This is the same guy who already did that for months, i wouldn't be shocked if he does that for few more months, he really just need to sit just for 3/4 months...and if that's the case good luck to the Spurs to get something better than the Lakers package back.

In fact, the fact that they already didn't might very well mean Ainge and the Sixers are not willing to trade their house for him.

Nobody should really be surprised if they end up trading him to L.A. The first thing the SPurs have to do is to get back the best package they can, not avoid to trade Kawhi to a team they don't like. Pretty sure Gilbert wasn't exactly exited to trade Irving to Ainge. But you have to do what's best for you, not for whatever people thinks it's better.

15. jman255

jman255 Member

Can someone tell me why Spurs/Pop would even consider sending Kawhi to LAL to potentially pair wtih LBJ and form an immediate dynasty? Like....it seems like one of the dumbest moves a smart man could make....

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Lol I think LA would be crazy to do this for two first rounders

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

I hope they don't but...

Why should they care about a potential dynasty? Once they trade Kawhi, they're rebuilding right? They're probably not gonna be a factor. Along with the rumors that Pop may not be around much longer (say ... past 2020?).

And if that's the best offer they get? Probably gotta take it. We think Boston and Philly can match it or beat it but they may not be throwing everything on the table.

Again, I hope they don't but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

**They should demand the kitchen sink and accept nothing less. Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, 1st round pick, maybe another pick, if they want - some sort of S&T for Randle if it's possible? - and they can keep Luol Deng & Lonzo Ball.

#417 J.R., Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Vivi and justtxyank like this.
  18. jman255

jman255 Member

R
    Right, the only thing I can think of is to absolutely devastate the growth of the other team. I’m pretty sure Pop would rather sit Kawhi in the bench all year than hand LAL a championship chance.

19. DVauthrin

I promise you that Kawhi’s reputation within NBA circles would be tarnished beyond repair if he tanks a 2nd season. As I said before, it’s career suicide for him.

I also highly doubt nobody else in the league is willing to deal for Kawhi. Philly and Boston aren’t stupid. They know if they let Kawhi get to the Lakers, LeBron and Paul George are likely soon to follow. Good luck beating that team, the Warriors or the Rockets in the finals anytime soon.

Then we get to the Spurs, even if they embark on a rebuild, they are the type of organization that wants and expects to do so quickly. They aren’t going to want to help form a third super team in their own conference unless they have absolutely no chance, not to mention helping Kawhi get exactly what he wants.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I can agree with this, even though his image is already kinda ruined at this point.

As for the rest, i think we already explained so much our views it's pointless to do it again at this point, we'll see what happens, but for sure i hope you are right and i'm wrong.