1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Hawks interested in Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather us rotate a bunch of cheap Centers, than rotate a bunch of cheap Forwards.

IF we deal Capela, it BETTER be for a big forward that is a difference maker on both ends.

2. amaru

amaru Member

I'd welcome Collins. Would Mike actually play Hartenstein though? Maybe with a mandate from the FO.

3. fattz

fattz Member

#143 fattz, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  4. fattz

fattz Member

D-rock likes this.
  5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Something tells me clutchfans as a collective has over rated Hartenstein. Listened to a podcast recently(Hollinger and Duncan) where they discussed Houston possible trade opportunities and the two were very much in line with each other in thinking Hartenstein is too lost on defense to rely on. Too small to handle the real big men and not capable enough to switch on to smaller guys.

Maybe those two are way off, but there has to be a legit reason his time has been so sporadic other than just everyone thinking MDA is brain dead.

If CC is moved I imagine some other center who can essentially take all of his minutes has to be coming back.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I am for trading Capela but only IF the return is equal or better production. And I mean current production, not potential production.

Love the idea of acquiring Aaron Gordon for this reason. His value is at its lowest now but his game would be great complement to both Harden & Russ, flying down the court and above the rim or PnR.

AG is also excellent switch defender who can defend 1-5. AG at Capela's dunker spot would be crazy, and AG is much more dynamic as screener and roller.

Pair with athletic stretch 5's like 6'10 Jonah Bolden, 6'11 Justin Patterson or 6'10 Harry Giles.

But Rockets need to go all in so would encourage trading 2 FRPs for Covington and Okogie/Bates-Diop.

Signing 1 or 2 backups at vet min also required:

6'8 Jeff Green
    6'8 Lance Thomas
    6'9 Jarrod Uthoff
    6'8 Sam Dekker
    6'9 Corey Brewer

DeBeards and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I have never seen someone so infatuated with an above average player as you are with Gordon. You have literally put his name on like 50 trade proposals.

pr0wler and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Aaron Gordon AND Robert Covington. Get it right.

9. fattz

fattz Member

Not yet, Aaron Gordon and Eric Gordon contracts match this off season. Eric fills Orlando’s needs as much as Aaron fills ours. The pick would even out said trade and balance out both rosters. The Clark cut and sign seems a little to convenient for Orlando and detrimental to Houston for it not to be planned out. Under the table dealing? We need to wait till the offseason and a new coach. Moving Capela for multiple younger talents at this point almost a must. Capela is a finished product here and now is the time to trade him. Then adding AG in the offseason puts us over the top next season and many seasons to come.

RudyTBag and malakas like this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

That or PJ Tucker would be starting at center lol

pr0wler likes this.
  11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Depending on who we’re getting in return. I can assure you nobody on the Hawks will offset the loss of Capela. As far as I’m concerned no forward on that team has done anything to convince me otherwise. Whatever stats or highlights they’re putting up haven’t led to any wins.

D-rock likes this.
  12. PWR

PWR Member

The money works on the trade machine
    Rockets get:
    John Collins (19 ppg, 10 rpg)
    Marcus Morris (19 ppg, 5 rpg)

Hawks get:

Julius Randle
    Clint Capela

Knicks get:

Rockets pick
    Hawks pick
    Jeff Teague (expiring)
    Evan Turner (expiring)
    Alex Len (expiring)

Rockets rotation with minutes...
    PG - Westbrook(33), Harden(15)
    SG - Harden(18), Gordon(12), Rivers(18)
    SF - Gordon(18), BMac(15), House(15)
    PF - Morris(32), Tucker(10), House(6)
    C - Collins(30), Tucker(18)

13. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Aaron Gordon would be absolutely incredible in our offense - he can run the PnR with Harden and Russ, and is a respectable enough shooter to provide space for them to drive.

Looking at Orlando's roster, they have a glut of bigs and shoddy guard/wing depth. Capela wouldn't be enticing to them, but maybe one of ATL's wings would. Loose framework of a deal could be:

Hunter to ORL
    Capela and Nene to ATL
    Gordon to HOU​

I'm a big fan of Hunter, but I have my doubts that he ready to be a core piece of a championship team. Gordon is a bit more polished, but young enough to be a factor for many years to come. You'd need a second move to solidify your center position (Markieff/Noel for a 2nd or Holmes for a 1st), but we'd be a more dynamic team moving forward.

Holmes/Harty
    Gordon/Tucker
    Tucker/House
    Harden/Gordon/BMac
    Westy/Rivers

xaos and D-rock like this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed , as much as I am in the “play Hartenstein” camp ... he’s not nearly the player Clint is (when he is in good form)

I looooove the idea of Hartenstein getting way more minutes than he is now

I’m terrified of Hartenstein having to play starter minutes for us in the playoffs .

That’s because he’s not ready . Now , of course you can argue he’s not ready because he doesn’t get any ****ing pt (which I would) buuuuuuut , I would also argue that even if we were giving him good minutes he wouldn’t be ready to start in the playoffs (or even get big minutes)

He’s got too many weaknesses to shore up and his main problem is that he doesn’t have 1 overwhelming strength. He’s not a great finisher , not a great shooter , not a great shot blocker , rebounder etc.... He’s more of a jack of all trades at this point (which is why the potential is high and I want him to play) but I wouldn’t trust him to contribute at a high enough level vs good teams in the playoffs .

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think ORL is ready to deal AG right now, they want to contend this season & not just make playoffs.

Eric Gordon salary works but not the needle mover that Magic covet. Magic wants to reproduce Heat model, need a true all star to pair with talented young players and play 4 out.

Gordon Hayward, not Eric Gordon, is that needle mover IMO.

Which is good because BOS also coveted Capela at one time and Hayward has not given Celtics desired ROI, especially in postseason and vs. teams with bigger 5's (76ers, Raptors, Bucks, etc.).

Fates are nearly aligned for a deal to be made. Finally.

fattz likes this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't really see Orlando having much interest in Eric unless they find a way to deal Fournier, and i don't know how easy that would be.

D-rock likes this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

If I read that right, a 3 way with Boston that turns Capela into Aaron Gordon. That is rabbit out of a hat. If it happens.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Julius Randle isn't going anywhere. He's becoming. .

19. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Harden steal and fast break slam!:eek:

D-rock likes this.
  20. awc713

awc713 Member

Im all for trading Capela if we can get a good return for him. I think his skill set is mostly replaceable. He’s not a guy that will really move the needle, and we do have needs elsewhere.

That said, we do need someone who can give AD problems in the playoffs. I don’t know if anyone really can, but Capela may be our best bet.

amaru and hakeem94 like this.