1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SF is losing value. Trade him now!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mag, Nov 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mag

mag Contributing Member

If we continue waiting for SF to realize how to run a team, his trade value is going to be zero and we will have to carry him for the extension of his contract.
    I predict that this year SF won't even make the all start team.

2. thunder_james

thunder_james Member

who will trade any stars for SF?
    noway.
    nobody.
    nowhere.

3. Charvo

Charvo Member

They need to put Francis in a freezer and take him out after the season is over. Every game is eroding his trade value. I still think the Knicks will take him though. The trade package I proposed is a legit option that Van Gundy should look at.

4. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Or better yet...

Leak some fake news about an injury that Steve is hiding. His trade value might actually go up with his 'warrior mentality' to play hurt.

5. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Only a lottery team would want him. :rolleyes:

6. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Guys...with all due respect, there's a reason that GM's don't operate with their finger on the panic button, unlike fans.

It's really, really early, and Steve hasn't been this bad all season. He's struggling right now. You know what? I guarantee he'll struggle again later this year,and next year too. Every player has bad stretches. If GM's paniced every time a player struggled, it would be musical charis, and the team that would profit would be the team that stayed calm.

7. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Hark! Ho! 'tis I! MacDuff!
    Thou art wise to heareth the wisdom of MacBeth, o' festive fans of thine Clutchfans.net!

:D

8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Personally, I think Steve lost value among NBA execs two years ago. Teams will be too afraid to take the risk of trading good talent for a short shooting guard. Iverson may have taken Philly to the finals in one of the weakest conferences in the history of the NBA, but I don't think anyone on this message board would see Allen Iverson leading that same Philadelphia team past the second round in the west. And Steve Francis is no Allen Iverson.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not that we're going to trade him (sob), but I could name about 10 Leastern Conference teams who'd take him in a heartbeat; the question being, who would they give up?

It's all academic anyway, as we are stuck with this two-speed flat-tire team.

10. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

Are you guys blaming all of the rockets' losses on Steve Francis? Is it because he isnt scoring 25 a night or because he isnt giving 10 assists a game?

How can a player with such talent be hated so much by his home fans? If he was on any other team, he would be wanted here. and I bet 25 teams would like to have him.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because he's not a superstar. People just aren't realistic. They expect him to be like Jason Kidd, Magic Johnson, etc.

12. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

I know, why cant people be excited that we have 2 of the top young stars in the league playing for Houston. One day we will be a title contender, but we havent reached that time yet. let Francis and Yao spend more than 1 year and 3 weeks playing together before we have them seperated. I hate to compare them to Shaq and Kobe because Yao and steve are not near the talent those other two have yet but when shaq and kobe first started playing together they didnt go straight to the finals.

13. University Blue

No, but expectations are high -- especially of the (self-)appointed, relatively-untested "leader" of Houston. I like Francis and think he would benefit from the experience of veteran leadership. (It's too bad Barkley retired so early.)

That said, I am not comfortable with Francis making decisions when there is pressure. (I am, however, comfortable with him taking the shot in tight situations.)

University (D-Schisms) Blue

14. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

Cuttino Mobley was our starting point guard when we went to the playoffs last, and I think Dickerson was the starting 2. I am 100% sure that this year's backcourt is better than that one.

On another note, Does anyone else think that Pike looks lost in our offense?

15. Charvo

Charvo Member

Piatkowski is never going to get the ball to shoot unless Yao is on the court. He'll just be standing out on the 3 point line. Piatkowski should start. This improves the offense right from the start with Yao being able to throw an outlet pass to a guy who can shoot the ball as well as anyone in the NBA. The defense always throws a cloud of players around Yao to make sure he isn't comfortable with making a shot. Cato doesn't even get guarded. His defender is always hanging around Yao. Defenders cheat off the Rocket guards causing absolute havoc with the Rocket's offensive gameplan. They cheat off Piatkowski, and they will get burned when Yao passes it out. Yao shouldn't be forcing up garbage shots when defenses swarming him. Pick up the dribble and pass it out.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Exactly, the Rockets got to a hot start this season, and 16 games into the season, ya'll want to trade already. The Rockets haven't been to the playoffs in 4 years, I know we're all a little grumpy from our absence, but here is the thing:

THE ROCKETS ARE GOOD RIGHT NOW, BUT WE ARE NOT ONE OF THE ELITE TEAMS IN THE NBA,....NOT YET ATLEAST. WHERE WE WANT THE ROCKETS TO BE WON'T TAKE 16 GAMES. WE HAVE TO TAKE THINGS SLOW AND NOT PANICK. ANOTHER THING: DO NOT BLAME OUR LOSSES ON ONE GUY, THE FACT IS WHEN WE LOSE, IT'S BECAUSE OUR TEAM DIDN'T DESERVE TO WIN, NOT ONE GUY.

17. mag

mag Contributing Member

I think people is not asking to trade SF because he is a bad player. I think he is an excellent player but he does not fit in this team. His dribbling just kills any offense setup that the team wants to run. He is always looking to create something for himself first. Super starts make the other players better, and I think SF makes the other players worse because he just does not trust anybody on the team.

18. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let me say this, francis really got frustrated last night by non-calls from the refs, a couple of times he pissed me off by trying to dribble into the middle of the lane then getting ripped by the opposing point, but in the first five minutes of the game he broke down the defense by getting into the lane and passed out to wide open teammates who proceeded to miss jump shots. So francis started out the game trying to be a distributor but when no one was knocking down shots he started to assume a little bit more of a scoring role on the team, at which time the kings defense just made him look plain stupid. As frustrating as francis' play was most of the game, he did attempt to involve the rest of the team early on and was let down by his teammates. The kings just were plain sick at knocking down j's last night, and the rockets just don't have the shooters they do, so the idea of passing the ball around to find an open shooter isn't going to work when the rocks have no real shooters.

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

here's a better idea...FIRE VAN GUNDY! His system sux! We are so rash to trade somebody...why not admit this project is really sucking. Van Gundy is the problem not SF.

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

THERE IS NO PROBLEM... JUST GIVE IT SOME MORE TIME. WE STILL ARE PLAYERS SHORT. Heck we started the year with 2 of our PF's and 2 of our reserves out(pike and A.Griff) We lost to a better team in Sacramento Fair and square now quit pissing and moaning about it and look up to the next game.