1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seventh Democratic Debate JAN2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DreamShook, Jan 14, 2020.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think she's pretty calculating. Her handling of her heritage was really poorly done. That was such a stupid blunder for her no doubt. But this? I hate it, but it's smart. Her "women are winning" stuff from last night was probably the highlight of the debate. She set it up with the leaking of this Bernie thing. Even if his defense worked to her favor. "Go back and watch a video of me from 1979 with crazy hair because I've been ranting for decades." Then his retort to her that he won a campaign against a Republican in 1990...lol.

All of this worked for her. Whether it can get her what she wants which is a last minute small surge in the Caucus? I have no idea, but it was a smart play.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Are you a member of 'The Squad'?

3. justtxyank

This is so disingenuous. This is the same tactic Romney used to say he was above the fray when his "people" were smearing Gingrich or Bush used when his "people" were smearing McCain.

Bernie doesn't throw the grenades, but all he does is say "golly gee that's not what I'm about" while his foot soldiers shoot missiles.

Invisible Fan, joshuaao and Nook like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not sure it did. I'm not listening to the cheers in the venue. Warren launched an attack on a dude that has advocated for women for more than 4 decades and he has the receipts.

With all her past baggage of embellishments, you think saying Bernie Sanders doesn't think a women can win is the strategy to go with?

That "it's time for woman" stuff died with Hilary, people are more focused on the policy more than ever. She should have stuck to that and she would be in the lead right now.

Bernie sanders just made 2 million after the debate.

Hakeemtheking and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What are the shots though? Where are the missiles? What are the under handed things his supporters do besides being annoying?

6. justtxyank

I don't know that people are really as focused on policy as the hyper focused progressive people wish.

Nook likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If people weren't as focused on policy, Kamala and Beto would still be in the race.

Warren would still be in the lead after her healthcare roll out.

8. justtxyank

So you think Biden is winning because of his policy proposals?

jiggyfly and DreamShook like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You got me there, but Biden is a special case because he happens to be Obama's VP. Biden has been shrouded in a shield of max protection because of Obama, Media and fear.

I'm not even sure how you break that machine.

10. justtxyank

You think the media has been protecting Biden? Really?

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

That remains to be seen. NOT smearing Bernie wasn't working either. But yes, I agree her political instincts aren't great - we saw that with the M4A obfuscation and the wine cave nonsense.

Literally a few days ago, Bernie's campaign sent out talking points pushing the idea that Warren isn't electable. He then lied about it claiming it was rogue staffers and he doesn't agree with it. Then the campaign revealed that it was, in fact, legitimate.

In 2016, he said Hillary wasn't even qualified to be President. He played right into the the right's messaging on her, claiming she was corrupt/etc despite no actual evidence of it.

joshuaao and Nook like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Abso****inglutely most notably CNN.

13. fchowd0311

Talking points to state why you are better for running for president than your primary rival is perfectly within reason and happens every primary cycle.

Labeling someone you call a friend a sexist or racist for your political gain? Now that is a low blow.

Hillary Clinton has genuine complaints about corruption towards her. Bernie was very careful not to use right wing framing to criticize Hillary.

DreamShook likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I mean, come on. "Protect" is a strong word, but media and journalists look the other way or don't really bring up the stuff that could hurt Biden.

24hr news and they hardly talk about the Iraq War, The Crime Bill, The Bankruptcy Bill, Anita Hill, His gaffs.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. justtxyank

I don't watch much CNN so can't really comment on them, but when I watch MSNBC for their coverage it's a pretty constant stream of commentators explaining why Biden ain't it anymore.

I think you guys are just frustrated because you can't figure out why Biden has the support he does.

jiggyfly, joshuaao and baller4life315 like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The Warren leak about Sanders came after there were reports of Sanders having his operatives in Iowa and other states smearing Warren.

I don’t feel any sympathy for either of them.

joshuaao and KingCheetah like this.
  17. fchowd0311

What is "smearing Warren" here actually about? Was the smear about her personal character? Labeling her a racist for he native American fiasco. Or was it normal policy substance disagreements?

In a primary I expect candidates to differentiate themselves amongst other candidates. That's expected.

Painting someone as mysoginist is a low blow that Bernie didn't return in kind or start in kind.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Sanders had his people taking shots at Warren first.

Sanders did not withdraw against Clinton until late and then only gave tepid support.

I am not saying Sanders is a bad guy, but he is far from innocent either. He is very calculating in his actions.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Biden is laughing all the way to the bank.

Nook likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

What are these shots? Are they in the realm of personal character? Suggesting that she's a racist? Or is it substantive disagreements?