1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seventh Democratic Debate JAN2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DreamShook, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Look at the last 40 years and you have your likely answer. DEM in the WH = reduce def. REP in the WH = increase def.

Regan: Deficit increase from 79B to 153B (it was 175B and he increased tax/rev to reduce it to 153B)
    Bush41: Increase it to 255B (peaked at 290B the year before he left office)
    Clinton: Decrease it to 0 (end his term with a 128B surplus)
    Bush43: Increase it to 1.41T (we really fk up with this one)
    Obama: Decrease it to 585B (more than halving the 1.41T)
    Trump: Increase it to 1T in 2019 and looks like we are heading toward 1-2T+ yearly (we really are going to royally fk with this one)​

You see a pattern and who is actually being responsible?

As far as all the promises by these candidates, they absolutely won't be able to do most of that. What they will likely be able to do is put a pause or even reduce some military spending and increase revenue. That will help close the debt gap. At best, they can transfer some of the spendings from the military and tax increase to support some of their policies. History has shown that they will likely increase domestic spending while actually reducing the deficit. It's really simple why they can do this - they do not have an ideological belief in trick-me-down economic.

p.s. I miss the tea party

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

CNN after the debate roasted Bernie for claiming he didn’t say it, saying they’ve fully “reported it out.” They all thought warren hit it out of the park.

ridiculous. Shame on her for leaking this to try to smear him.

ElPigto, MojoMan, B-Bob and 4 others like this.
  3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I still don’t understand the purpose other than to maybe juice CNN ratings last night. What does she stand to gain from this?

Bernie supporters aren’t going to switch to her and it isn’t as if moderates are going to jump to her either. The only people that this would help her with are people that probably already support her...and this might actually turn some of her own supporters off. Seems like a risky play with little reward.

But, then again, I don’t understand why more of the candidates aren’t focused on going after Biden; he’s the leader right now. Bernie tried, especially early on, but everyone else seems so afraid to go after Biden. Instead, they let him sit back and coast this debate (he was 5th in words spoken) which is exactly what he wants to do in order to avoid producing more gaffe-worthy moments.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m fine with Biden if he’s the Dem nominee, just think it’s so strange the way the other candidates, outside of Sanders, are going about this race. Maybe it’s because those candidates are too afraid to try and appeal to the lanes that support Biden. Harris tried to go there and saw some success, but couldn’t follow it up...you’d think one of these candidates with more substance would try as well.

I saw a post somewhere comparing this to the 2016 Republican primary where the candidates went after each other, but didn’t go after Trump until too late, and I thought it was apt. If we get too far into this, Biden’s going to easily walk away with this (barring a strong Bernie push).

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This. It makes no sense. They were both smart to not harp on it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. justtxyank

a huge chunk of iowa is still undecided. She is trying to smear him at the last second to get the last boost across the line. Her whole strategy is to win iowa

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I understand the bashing of trump but at some point they need to turn their attention to each other. Trump is not their opponent yet. I guess there is time.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m not in Iowa it a woman but it’s done the opposite for me. Makes me dislike her more and more.

MojoMan and B-Bob like this.
  9. omgTHEpotential

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

K

KingCheetah and B-Bob like this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The hilarious thing is that if anyone watched the debate, Bernie and Warren didn't go into the 'a woman can't win' thing. They were cordial.

CNN's headline, however, is "
    The Warren-Sanders feud just got way uglier"
    This is such a joke by CNN. Shame on Chris Cillizza.

Honestly, I think it was a bad move by Warren to try and use this to help her. Her campaign has been dropping and she needed to do something.

Maybe this is her 4D chess moment where she was able to turn it not as a bash on Sanders but to highlight her accomplishments as a woman and try and build enthusiasm amongst stay at home suburban potential female voters.

Because certainly she didn't bash Sanders about it at the debate and highlighted her(and Klobachar's) victories instead.

I don't think that was a great move either.

In the end, what this really means is that the debates and primary race aren't exciting so CNN is trying to drum up some drama to garner interest. Hopefully, this will die out soon.

CNN can pretend to hate Donald Trump, but there is always drama there and they love it. They seek, push, and emphasize drama for ratings and website clicks. It isn't really about politics at all.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  12. justtxyank

I agree with you, but she's "desperate." Her polls have fallen and if Bernie wins Iowa it probably ends Warren's campaign, even if not officially. Going to be hard for her to keep raising money if she loses Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada. This was very clearly setup to give her a chance on the debate stage to do the whole "women win" argument that she made. The whole thing was designed for that debate moment. She doesn't want Bernie to take it personally, but of course he will. She wanted that stage set for her to say "these men haven't won in 30 years against a Republican!" and go through all the ways women have been winning.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. justtxyank

if you think this didn't get ugly you didn't pay attention. Bernie was cold to her in the pre-debate handshake and they had a really rough moment after the debate. Bernie is hurt and it shows. It's going to be worse now that CNN is piling on Bernie and praising Warren for it.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

CNN truly is trash and has been so for quite a while. Honestly would rather FOX host a debate.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

CNN made it worse by the way they treated Sanders during the debate. Then Warren made it even worse when she didn't shake Bernie's hand at the end of the debate.

It's a whole sh*t show caused by Warren's silly move.. Now #NeverWarren is trending splitting the progressive base. People that aren't paying attention have no Idea why it is trending and think Bernie has a cult of bots and misogynists making the hashtag trend.

What a disaster for the progressive left... all caused by Warren.. smh.. She had one job. She might have nuked the movement.

This is exactly what CNN wants.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I did watch which is why I think it was all no big deal. I definitely think there are some tensions but that's normal in a political race where two candidates are competing for the same demographic.

It was stupid to start it and it is even stupider to try and build this up as significant drama.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Newlin

Newlin Member

When he was younger he didn’t seem to have much trouble getting the words out. There seems to have been a decline. I’m not sure if I should be concerned about this or not. Biden will be 78 when entering office if he is elected, and he will be 86 when leaving office if he serves two terms.

Of course, Bernie is a year older than Biden. Warren is in her 70’s, and Trump is the oldest first term president ever elected.

When viewing these candidates, I cannot help but imagine their abilities four, six, or eight years in the future. For most people, being president of the United States would be very demanding, both physically and mentally.

18. Major

Major Member

LOL. Her job is to win a primary. Not protect 'the movement'. If that was the goal, then Bernie should have dropped out in the fall when Warren was surging and endorsed her. It would have put her and the movement in basically an unbeatable position. But he didn't. Why? Because he wants to be President too. They all do - otherwise they wouldn't be doing this.

This whole idea that Warren should just sacrifice herself so Bernie can win is basically Bernie-Bros-gone-wild. Primaries get ugly and personal - that's how it it. People take shots. Not all of them are fair. Bernie has dished out plenty of his own, and he doesn't get a free pass from that - it happened to Biden. It happened to Pete. It will happen to Warren if she ends up on top again.

19. justtxyank

This is true.

I think Warren's little smear is pathetic because of how transparent it is but I'm not suggesting she should try to help Bernie. I prefer her to Bernie personally though I don't care for either as candidates (candidates not people!).

Bernie Bros as you called them have no room to get self righteous about being dirty though. His supporters are the WORST in terms of how they go after other candidates.

ElPigto, jiggyfly and Major like this.
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Well she is doing it wrong then. If she wanted to win, smearing Bernie is not the way to win. Her Political instincts are way off. When she was being as progressive as she could be she was blowing Bernie out of the water and overtook Biden

She wasn't sacrificing anything when she was firmly aligned with Bernie Sanders she was winning.

Also what shots has Bernie taken? He didn't even take shots at Hilary when it came to her emails.