1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seven teams fighting for four spots...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTown5933, Feb 28, 2011.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I think New Orleans and Portland get in for sure. New Orleans really added to their weapons bringing in Landry. He's gonna be getting a lot of feeds under the basket from Paul.

I'd say that it's more like five teams fighting for the last two spots. Should be interesting with Denver playing really well since trading Melo. I think we need them or Memphis to slip up, cause Utah and Phoenix should be on the downturn.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Look, it's pretty obvious we're gonna make the playoffs.

Our easy schedule combined with more clarity as how to minutes will be distributed (thaknks to the trades) will allow us to build chemistry. The triumvrate of Lowry-Martin-Budinger has looked excellent thus far. Lowry is having a field day penetrating and dishing for open 3's.

We just need Scola to get back to form and for the 'Wagon keep being the 'Wagon.

CLee, Miller, PhatPat, Dragic, and TWill make for an exciting 2nd unit. Heck, it can't be much worse than the 2nd unit we've had up to this point. Like Morey said, our first unit is top 10 in the league. The 2nd unit has struggled.

Hollinger has our playoff odds up to 29.4% now.

3. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Obvious? I really hope we get in and think we have a nice chance to get in, but I'd call it far from obvious. We will need a better 21 game spurt than we've had all season long to get in. Here's to hoping that we do! :grin:

4. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Throughout this year our starters have been solid while our bench has been a disappointment. How we respond to the new roster changes will determine our fate. Chase needs to prove himself to be a worthy starter and Dragic needs to bring a spark back to our bench. Brad Miller said no one cares about this team except for the guys in the locker room. If they keep caring as much as they cared last night, I believe anything can happen.

5. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I think you're right, they probably get in. I have them both finishing at 45-37.

That's still pretty tight - and an ankle sprain or a couple of unlucky breaks from missing out.

New Orleans has EIGHTEEN of their 21 games remaining against teams currently fighting for the playoffs - and ELEVEN of those are against the seven teams I mention in the original post of the thread.

Then again, a couple of more losses like the home loss to Minnesota and it won't matter...lol.

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

We only seem to succeed in the last two years when Lowry is in the game. Hopefully, Dragic can be a strong backup.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

dang the Nets almost pulled one on the suns that could have been big for the Rockets but as it stands both Denver and Utah look to be heading towards Ls tonight

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Best case scenario would be us and PHX getting in (we get a lower pick), Denver and Memphis falling out (although NO has been up and down and they have a tough schedule).

If we can steal a game in Portland tomorrow it would be huge. Hopefully they are still figuring things out with Roy and Wallace coming in.

9. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Yeah, I was watching. So frustrating. They couldn't get the ball in to Morrow and settled for Lopez, who missed a FT.

Earlier they didn't foul Frye and GAVE him a layup.

Then, probably the closest call I've ever seen as far as replay. Of course, it doesn't go their way (or ours).

Guess that's whey they are the Nets (still).

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The problem with the rockets so called playoff push is very obvious except to the blind faithful. There are too many teams ahead playing good ball for the rockets to catch. Portland,Phoenix,and New Orleans are playing good ball. Memphis has also been solid,but they did lose Gay for a month. Although they lost anthony and billups,they did get very good players in return. The only teams i see falling down into a slump are the Jazz. If the team above go .500, the rockets will have to do something they havent done all season and that called playing consistent basketball.

11. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I understand what you're saying - and you're right. As I mentioned in the OP, it's UNLIKELY.

Still, I wanted to look at it. Definitely not part of the blind faithful, but also not part of the "judge the team and players by one HALF or one game" clan either.

I disagree that New Orleans is playing good ball. They are 3-8 in their last 11 and 4-10 in their last 14 games played. I'm not saying they'll fall that far, but they are definitely not playing well right now. I don't know if Paul is hurt or what, but Kyle isn't THAT good (to shut him down like last night).

I think you're right about Utah. I definitely see them falling.

Denver is a "who knows". Yes, they got some good players, but what type of chemistry can they build or survive with through 20ish games?

Memphis will probably be OK, especially with the addition of Shane. If not for that trade, and with Gay out, they likely fall out.

Phoenix has won 4 straight, but 16 of their remaining 24 games are against teams in the playoff hunt. We have two games against them as well.

As far as the Rockets playing consistently, I see your point. They were, however, 8-4 in February with one of those losses against the Lakers on the road in OT. That includes wins in Utah, Denver and New Orleans (and nearly LA). Wins at home against Memphis and Denver also. Only "bad" loss during the month was at home against Minnesota and only game they didn't have a shot to win was against Philly at home (who often gives us trouble).

In their last 11 games they are averaging 107.5 ppg while giving up 103.8 for a margin of +3.7. Still giving up way too many points, but that one point better than the average for the year (while scoring two points more).

Not enough to cause optimism, but enough to offer a reason to watch other teams...lol.

12. anchel

anchel Member

Unexpected wins in New Orleans will put you on the race again. That's what we need, 1-probably 2 more of those to get into the playoffs. Utah is likely to fall down. Denver is too. Memphis & Portland, you look the rosters and they're playoff teams, we're not better than them. I think it will be between Denver, Phoenix and us. 43 wins could be enough having the tiebreaker, but likely 44.

I see it differently, we have to show that we are a playoff team, and for so we must show improvement over the pre-all-star team. The improvement passes for:

- Dragic can help consistently at both sides, (an improvement over Aaron).
    - Budinger steps up as starter, averaging 14-16 points in 25-30 minutes.
    - TWill is able to get into the team dynamics and help us.
    - Brad is able to regain the level of the early season.
    - Patterson gives us better minutes than Jordan Hill's at the first half of season.
    - We suffer no significant injuries.

This would be translated into:

- 10 guys consistently contributing on the rotation. Ten is a lot.
    - A very improved defense by the 2nd unit.

Our advantage in the schedule would do the rest.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Okefor just came back for the hornets. True,they have been up and down, but there ups have been pretty high. Posters are expecting something out of the ordinary on both ends. Since getting Gortat, the suns have played very well. They now have a good center vs a doughnut. They still have one of the best playmakers and shotmakers in the game.

I guess the biggest wildcard to me is Memphis. Even then, a .500 record is going to force the rockets to play about .600 ball.

14. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Probably more like .667 ball to have a shot (14-7)...lol...

15. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

GO ROCKETS!!!

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

The problem to your problem is very obvious except to the plain blind. You are quick to point out how other teams are playing and forget how the Rockets are playing good ball themselves, winners of 8 of their last 11. Not many people in this thread are saying we are a shoe in. In fact almost everyone is at best merely giving them a chance. With the cupcake schedule coming up, that seems pretty fair to me.

18. Victorious

Victorious Member

Where in the world did you see this? I love to get those rockets celtics tickets at half off.

19. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Yeah lets knock Phoenix out to that we can both worsen our own pick and the pick we're getting from them.

20. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

Damned that Channing Frye!