1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, what is wrong with Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Oh I agree. I said back in the thread a month or so ago about Rick's putting back his original system that failed last year that I thought Rick's system was going to hurt Yao the most. It's only been a couple of games, but it didn't take too many last year before Rick adjusted his O for the players he had. Any coach should adjust for the players they have (when they are good player), otherwise you better trade those players for someone who can. I will say that Yao still is getting more post ups than I thought he would but I think he's mentally not buying into the system.

But another possibility is Yao is declining because of injuries and size/time on the floor. If that is the case then it may be time to try and pillage someone in a trade for Yao.

2. Raven

Raven Member

You know, that's an interesting point.

3. inspiRED

inspiRED Member

you seriously blame adelman for yao missing 3 point blank layups last night? 2 dunks the night before + lots of layups?

yao is not playing in the high post much this year (only to start last yr but adelman saw how bad yao was and put him in the low post exclusively). he's just not getting position b/c physically he seems weak or something. he's not boxing out. he's not playing "physical."

we can't just pinpoint things at the coach for things he can't control. he can't tell yao to play more physical, get deeper position, boxing guys out... and more importantly missing dunks/layups.

it's all in yao's head.

4. Moneygetjealous

Yao has lost his confidence ever since Boston dismantled him. Perkins had a couple of good blocks and Yao lost confidence in himself ever since. He just need to toughen up a little bit.

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Winners don't have that problem ... Yao has *never* won anything meaningful except in the CBA which is equivalent to (or probably lower than) the NBADL.

6. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Yao is in a physical decline. it seems everyone in here is in denial about it.

7. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I think it's a combination of a couple of good points already mentioned.

Less practice time: Yao said in preseason it would be a work in process and that if the strategy affected his play on the court he would have to rethink it.

Adelman: I don't like how he is forcing the players to play his system. It is a mess with no defined roles and no ball movement right now. It is ideal not having to call plays but that system requires disciplined players and willing movement w/o the ball. He may need to start implementing plays and force the starters to move.

Sikma: I don't think he is as good for Yao as Thibodeau was. Yao mentioned one time that he prefers the JVG type coaches that are relentness in their demand for perfection.

Look we can all speculate what the problem is but it all comes down to Yao needing to find a way. It's that simple. If it's the lack of practice time, then go back to your routine and let the chips fall where they may...etc. This team needs him to be better.

#127 rocketsregle, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

2 bad games means he's done I guess.

What happened to all the praise when he scored 21 and shot a high percentage on opening night and followed it up with a 30 point game the next night against Dallas?

9. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Yao will have a good game here and there, but he is in a physical decline. tmac is going through the same phase. he just needs to learn how to use his other physical aspects. yao has got to start throwing jhis wheight around. he has to learn the basics. boxout with his size. he needs to clear space on offense. he should use his behind on offense to clear space for himself.

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

he is not on a decline imo,...he is just not getting any better and is holding steady despite the recent bad games which imo are due to getting his wind back and getting into game playing shape. But they need to limit his minutes, we need battier back along with mutombo and a perkins type back up next year.

11. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. You just can't base such a rash opinion when the facts aren't completely all there. We're just 5 games into the season. If he finishes the season shooting worse than 50%, you might be able to make that point. But its just too early to call right now.

12. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Ask him why he is incapable of rebounding the ball.

13. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Wghen you have three stress fractures on the same leg in 3 straight years, it is bound to take it's toll on you. plus with yao's size his body was allways gonna decline sooner then you're conventional bigman. luckly yao never relied on his athletic ability anyway. so with his skill level, all he needs to do is readjust himself and make the changes i mentioned earlier and he'll be fine. i think he is trying to re-adjust.

14. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

He needs to use his size more. he is going through a phase. i think yao will get through it .

15. tracy1mcgrady4l

IMO the rox should count on t-mac and let him lead the team.yao is just a 7'6 guy who can score over bad centers.YAO IS NOT A LEADER AT ALL.

16. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Bullcrap. yao is a very good player and a very good leader. he is just going through physical decline. all he needs to do is re-adjust and he'll still be one of the elite players. he needs to become more physicall and use his size more. he is hardly finished. he can still be a 20 and 10 player.

17. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

that is Yao's only luster,but in vain,we still lose the game

18. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

I think Yao Ming knows a thing or two about rebounding the ball, referencing his past 3 season averages:

2005-06 10.2 rbg
    2006-07 9.4
    2007-08 10.8

19. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I think you may be on to something. You know Deke pushes Yao in practice. Without Deke, Yao has pappa smurf and the 7 dwarves gaurding him in practice. Nobody is banging with Yao in practice.

20. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

He looked crap again tonight. he cant rebound well for his size. kman is like 6 inch shorter, but he just pushes yao like a ragdoll