1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, what is wrong with Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

You really wander what would have happened?

First of all Bonzi would have never came back to Jeff. Then Bonzi and James would have never been traded for Bobby Jackson because Bonzi wasn't with our team. Then we would have never had Artest.

Now... let's say we do get Artest, what happens? A greater possibility is Jeff and Ron clashing.

Jeff Van Gundy had ways where some players don't like him. (Obviously Bonzi, but Camby as well) Some players really like him like Jon Barry and Tracy.

And what else? Our rookies, Brooks and Landry would have never been developed. A weak point of Jeff's coaching is making the prospects better.

And we are going to argue with Rick? He won 22 games in a row; I don't know how you can say (this isn't directly to "The Brian") Rick is doing a horrible job with the Rockets as of now.

2. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

Yao has been robotized under JVG. He should forget some of JVG offensive strategy such as repost, attracting double team to create 3pt for teammates. Attack or not should only depend on how far he is from the basket.

Simplizing Yao's role in offense can cut down the TO and speed up his ball handling.

3. Thanos

Thanos Member

Bah!

Bash JVG all you want, but he would never take all this "mentally weak gentle giant" crap! Oh, poor Yao, he gets blocked and loses his confidence for the rest of the game. This is absolutely ridiculous!

JVG always demanded and got the best out of his players!

Play your ****in heart out mother****er!!!!!!!!!!!! Yao sure as hell responded to that treatment!

But if it is physical and Yao has not become a major class p***y, we have to accept that we may have already seen the best of him, and have no hardware to show for it. Now that is a depressing thought.

But he sure looked better in the Olympics... probably because he had to deal with more pressure than he is dealing here. Time to put some HEAT on him! Light the fire on the big guy! Put his ass on the line!

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Have you watched the games in Olympics?! Yao was slow and limping and only have a good game against Angola's midgets!

JVG is the one who ruined yao's career, and Adelman have to take whatever left of yao. BTW, Tmac are always not ready in the rearly season and Adelman have to overuse yao. When TMAC is back, yao always goes down due to fatigue and injury. This happens every year for the past three years.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe the fact that Yao doesn't have to shoot over ANYONE in practice effects his game performance?

I mean he can turn and shoot in practice without jumping.......we need a taller practice partner......STAT.....

Deke.....hurry up and get here.

DD

6. getRED2008

getRED2008 Member

lies! yao said hes 100% recovered and JVG is teh one who made yao super by ruinnin others performances. i say yao is goin downhill no doubt and he would neverh be as good as u fans expect. hes just a borderline all star lvl C w/o JVG's system gg.

7. DPballer

DPballer Member

They use broomsticks in practice.

8. dataman

dataman Member

I don't get your reasoning here. You select a subset of games in which Yao did not play well and therefore was then not the first option for offense(, and disregard the games in which he played well and was the main force if not the only one) , to conclude Yao is not a "centerpiece offsively". We know if it is one's off night, then you just do not try to shoot every time, unless you don't care about the result.

The thing is, your reasoning here can be applied to Tracy as well. You just select a subset of his off games and talk that out...

9. dataman

dataman Member

I have the same question in my mind too...

I know the coach and many people were talking about the plan for Yao to play longer on court and to skip or reduce the practice. Is this proved to be effective for anybody, in particular for Yao? How does this really affect a player's performance?

If it is a really good solution, how come I did not see it happen to any other NBA players/teams? Or there are actually plenty of examples which I dont know.

10. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

WHAT???? :rolleyes:

JVG is the one made Yao Ming the best center in the league. Now he is regressing without JVG.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Yao's game is shot right now

12. mnkyman

mnkyman Member

He left what little game he had back in China...

I would say he's lost his confidence and heart...doesn't look like his foot is bothering him.

13. MandM's

MandM's Member

Let's just get a full healthy season out of Yao...and not demand that he has to be the MVP of every game.

It is a long season.

If it takes an up and down year, so be it. Playoffs are more important

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yao has regressed not just with his overall game.... but now physically.

His upper body strength is nowhere near what it was 2 years ago. Maybe its by design... but it clearly was an ASSET to his play in the low post.

He's getting physically pushed around by Bynum and Gasol... two guys who while no slouch, shouldn't be able to physically beat down on Yao like that.

15. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I think he reported to camp 15 lbs lighter this year. A possible reason is that the lighter weight predisposes you less to a bone fracture, which he has sustained each of the past 3 years? :confused:

16. AGBee

AGBee Member

Post Olympics slump...how long will it last? This summer had to be physically and emotionally draining on him...

17. The Brian

The Brian Member

all i can say is that i've never seen yao struggle this much under van gundy.

especially in gundy's last two years, yao was absolutely dominating.

18. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

until all-star. then it's 22+ win streak! :D

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with him coming back from injury and the team not having an identity yet.

DD

20. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

oh yes it does dd...jvg went to yao and established his post presence every game early in each half...but you are right about not having anyone to compete with in practice. also, artest holds the ball far too long and takes ridiculous contested jump shots.

adelman is not the problem! but you never know what you have until its gone...battier is so good for this team and luther head is better than brent barry off the bench. jvg was great for yao, but until tmac gets back to all start level performance we will be inconsistent on offense.