1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously thinking of cutting the cable/satellite cord....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets2K3, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Rockets2K3

Rockets2K3 Member

Just saw my recent DIRECTV bill and it went up another $5 a month.....WTF? :mad:

I remember when I signed up with them 10 years ago that I was paying $39.99/month at the regular rate. Now my plan is at $81.99/month.

They have jacked the DVR service from $7 to $10, charge HD $10/mo, and then want to charge $6/mo for using extra receivers. The sad part about all this is that I only watch 10-15 channels out of the 200+ channels they have.

Currently, my TV watching consists of local channels and watching TBS/TNT/USA/NBATV/NFL Network. I dumped League Pass a few years ago and I just started streaming the Rockets/Texans games.

I know I can call DIRECTV and they can drop my rate per month down, but what's the point if they keep increasing the price of the monthly plan and services? I know I can save a good amt. by going rabbit ears, spending $ on getting NetFlix, Hulu, Roku, etc., but I will miss out the option to record shows so I can watch them when I want.

Has anyone dumped cable/satellite and gone this route? If so, what have you done for DVR options? I hate just throwing away $ to this conglomerate.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I dropped my satellite a few weeks ago. For TV shows Netflix has enough of a backlog to keep me entertained. Texans are available over the air but without DVR. I have League Pass and can watch most Rockets games with it (only nationally televised games aren't available).

It's kind of a pain but I was in the same boat as you. I didn't want to keep calling DirecTV every few months to argue with them. For the amount of time I watch TV it just isn't worth it.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I never watch stuff live anymore. I watch everything on Netflix, hulu, hbo go and league pass. I should probably cancel my comcast but I haven't gotton around to it. But I only pay $29.99 a month for mine

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Add my voice to the others. Mrs. B-Bob and I disconnected from traditional TV about 18 months ago and have been totally happy. DO IT.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

best thing I ever did was cut the cord, got a rabbit ear antenna for crystal clear HD local channels that give me most of the major sporting events, and stream the rest online

6. ILoveWhiteGirls

There's never anything on TV anyways. Cut the cord, and don't look back. You always have the internet to entertain you and it's cheaper, lol.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Just use the internet to find TV shows online.

Just like sports streams, there are sites with full episodes of TV shows. There really is no use for cable / satellite.

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Between antenna TV, ballstreams, torrents, and buying a cheap desktop pc on Amazon solely for my TV (used office computers only 2 years old go for about $190), I absolutely do not miss cable AT ALL. Hell, I think I prefer it this way since the antenna provides better picture quality for network TV and the computer is so much more versatile in what's available to watch at any given time.

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Is anybody using Aero? The service is available in Houston now.

I think it's like 8 bucks/month to watch all local channels, on demand, over the internet. Sounds invaluable to cord cutters, I'd like to hear from someone that has actually tried it.

10. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

This. Did the same thing, and I watch any game/ show online. Has saved me a lot of $$$ last couple years

11. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I would do it, except for the sports. I don't want to watch online and I don't have a smart TV. Anybody have any suggestions?

12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I started a new job in a new city in June and cut the cord on cable tv. I pay $30 for comcast internet, use my sister's Netflix account for free, use a friend's comcast account for the Xfinity app and ESPN app and get OTA channels through the wall outlet (not sure why).

I stream Netflix, ESPN, Comcast Xfinity and HBOGo through my Xbox 360 and watch NFL games on local stations. The time I spend at home not-sleeping is maybe 1-2 hours a day so whatever channels/stations I don't get hasn't affected me much.