1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serious question about people's crush on Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chenjy9, Jan 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I actually don`t know if that is true. Right now the Hawks are playing great (well, not this last week...) and Smith is probably their best player this season - he is even a regular on nba.coms MVP watch. Yet his 17 points, 8 rebs, 2,5 blocks and 4 assists aren`t necessarily eye popping.

One of the main selling points for Smith: he can be a defensive difference maker as a help defender. And defense is what this team needs most right now. On offense he is still very capeable - not as a shooter with a hand in his face, but he will score und pick and rolls, put backs and he can overpower or spin around weaker defenders. He is actually a player you can and want to run plays for.

The other reason why I believe Morey will be all over him: he is the closest thing to a star that might actually be available for us - and we don`t have to give up anything other than capspace to get him. And Morey showed, that he is more than willing to gamble a little when a potential star is available...

2. jocar

jocar Member

So......... you're saying we have a chance at Duncan?

3. jocar

jocar Member

So......... you're saying we have a chance at Duncan?

4. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Probably because it's just a weak appeal to authority ("I'm from Minnesota") followed by a loose assortment of hyperbolic opinion with no facts to back it up. It's bad argument. It's how not to do this.

But to address your comment: Nobody has the time nor inclination to dissect every bad opinion contained therein. I could spend 12 posts just explaining how the statement "Kevin Love can't create his own shot" is impossibly and embarrassingly false, to the point where it's like the claimant hasn't even seem him play. I could post screenshots from basketball reference showing the percentage of his shots that were hooks. I could link to a grantland article that is *about* Kevin Love's post and faceup game. Do those idiots over at Grantland just not know what they're talking about either? And I don't know if you realized this, but that's what a player DOES in the post, is attempt to create a shot for himself or else pass the ball back out. I already told you earlier in this thread that over 40% of the shots Love took last season were from the post, to which you had no reply--which is curious since you also said earlier that Love had "no post game"--so that should have been your first clue that there was an entire element of Kevin Love's offensive skill set that you were blissfully unaware of, and that the man isn't just a floater on the perimeter. And that's just for one claim. We could dance that dance many more times with many more falsehoods. There are like 30 wrong things in that post you think so highly of, none of it supported. It's poor argument that is easily refuted, but taxingly refuted. But at some point, it's too much effort to rebuke that much wrongness. It's easier and certainly less time-consuming to just laugh and keep on going. All of us have opinions, but some of us have a bit more.

By the way, I'm a huge fan not only of Kevin Love, but of Josh Smith as well--the player you've been relentlessly campaigning for, off-topic, in a thread about Kevin Love. Does that blow your mind? Easy there. I forgot to warn you to sit down first. Here, drink this water. It will calm you. I'm here for you.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I agree with the posters above, Love makes the most sense. Ideally it would be Aldridge but portland is never giving him up.

6. nono

nono Member

We will never go after Love. Our next power forward will likely be a guy who is 6'8 , cant rebound, defend or set picks.

7. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Ah, the "it's too much work to show you how obviously wrong you are" approach. The sheer amount of readily known knowledge the person should possess to make such a bold statement, yet it is too much work for them to actually show it. It always baffles me. We have all season. Go prove everyone's perception that Love is horrible defensively is wrong and that his offensive repertoire doesn't consist of jumpers and offensive rebounding tip ins / lay ups followed by the occasional post game (I definitely would take your 40% claim at face value...not). Go ahead. I'd love to look at the stats rather than the "I obviously know more than you" that's so strongly exuded by your post.

1 person likes this.
  8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Honestly, it's just exhausting to invest that much effort when I could just be writing something that gets me paid instead. There's just no value in it, because people like you will do one or both of the following things:

1. Take the fact-based refutation of your opinions personally, as though what you think about an NBA player somehow speaks to who you are as individual, and as though anybody really cares that much in the grand scheme of things when making a case to you

2. Ignore the facts you are presented with anyway, and stick to your terrible opinions and assessments regardless of the facts

I don't know if you're the type of person in (1) and have your ego wrapped up in this. But what I DO know is that you are absolutely the type of person in (2) to get shot down by facts but keep right on espousing bad opinions anyway.

How do I know this?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=231650&page=5

Because you did it just one week ago on this very message board. That's you, kaitanuva, posting information about Josh Smith ONCE AGAIN IN A THREAD ABOUT KEVIN LOVE. And what did you post? The same information you've been so dismissive of here. A screenshot of Josh Smith's "percentage of hook shots." Another poster replied to you with a screenshot showing a percentage of Kevin Love's post-ups, isos, plays as the roll man in a pick N roll. And so that was the end of that. It was assumed that you then knew better.

But here you are a week later, with the same disingenuous claims about Kevin Love "not having a post game" when I know for a FACT that the case has been on this board ten times over and that somebody already wasted their time a week ago demonstrating otherwise to you. All so you could ignore or disregard that and never change anything you say about the man.

This is what I mean. Debating subjects like this with people like you is a tremendous waste of time. You're not objective in your assessments, and you only recognize statistics and facts when they align with your preconceived notions. So what case could ever be made to you, since you're unwilling to change your mind regardless? Not only that, but it's abundantly clear to anyone who has been paying attention that you just hate Kevin Love for whatever personal reason and hunt for threads where you can hit the reset button on posting about him even though the embarrassing statements you've already made on the subject have been refuted time and time again. In short, discussing sports with you makes for the worst kind of discussion.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go put some words to better use than this.

9. teebone21

teebone21 Member

if no trades happen before deadline, we are keeping the PF spot open for one of our own. White,jones, dmo, patterson, morris, all play the same position so this will be interesting

10. BreakYoSelfFool

Can someone please explain how someone with a career win pct of .250 is called a star? Or at least name another "star" who had lead a team to such horrible records for 4 consecutive years.

1 person likes this.
  11. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

On D, it would be a free for all. Let me put this into perspective for you guys, PPAT IS A BETTER DEFENDER THAN KEVIN LOVE.

You obviously must not be watching enough Rockets games then, because there is no way PPAT plays better D then KLOVE. PPAT is way too soft and constantly gets out worked defensively and out rebounded

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

^ but Ppat lacks rebounding which we badly need in order to have those fastbreak opportunities which is our strength..

13. nimzoray

nimzoray Member

Josh Smith is more valuable to his team than Kevin Love to his.

Last season, Smith carried the Hawks (who were without all stars Al Horford and Joe Johnson for much of the regular season) to the playoffs. While the Wolves, when they lost Ricky Rubio, dropped out of contention and Love couldn't do anything about it.

This inability to carry his team is probably what made Wolves management think that Love is not the franchise player of the team.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Tough to believe people would question our man-crush on Kevin Love. The guy gets hurt and couldn't play to his previous levels in the games he was available; so that makes one forget just how good he is?

Was 2011-2012 so long ago?

May I quote Bernie Mac, God rest his soul? "Sheey*****."

What, the Rockets don't need 20 points and 13 boards and a 3 point shot and a nasty attitude (don't let the calm demeanor fool you) from its starting 4?

Thing is, is he get-table?

May I quote Bernie Mac, God rest his soul? "Sheey*****."

Morey would have to conjure GM magic only seen by those who work for the Lakers, who are handed All Stars for pennies on the dollar. Maybe 3-team, Horford or Granger type trades. Maybe.

I seriously hope Kahn is that stupid. He's acting like it, with the contract he gave.

Pick up the phone, Daryl!

#154 ROXTXIA, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  15. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

I agree with you. The first segment of my last post was supposed to be a quote from another user. We absolutely need KLOVE's rebounding and ability to spread the floor for our offensive style.

16. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

This give me J Smoove...better team player

17. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

lol omg. elite rebounder? seriously, I'm glad some of yall just look at stat sheets and go by what sports center says, really. but if yall were to actually watch any other games OTHER than the Rockets', you would see that he pads his stats. just like Rondo pads his assists.

Jefferson & Aldridge > Love

also, I'd include Josh Smith in the discussion if only for his shear freak athleticism, but the dude has ZERO BB IQ. ZEEEROOO.

go out and watch other games, clutchfans. it'll learn ya something.

18. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Of course I would want Aldridge but he's not available...So if its between Millsap and Smith..I'll take Smith

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. But dont make beebeard explain. Trust me if beebeard even threatens to make an argument that's good enough as fact.

3 point chucker? naw beebeard will show you if you dare him.
    no defense? naw somewhere in there beebeard will show you.
    momentum killer ball stopper? beebeard said it was cool on the internet
    .250 winning percentage? one word. or is it 2 words. Anyway the answer is beebeard.
    injury prone you say?beebeard can show you how keith jones will turn that around. I mean keith jones (the sweater) did wonders with tmac, yao, etc.

forget about guys that have seen k love night in and night out that come to post. They are simply defying beebeard for reasons that cannot be explained but should be cautious. HAIL BEEBEARD the almighty lord of the intrawebs.

Even though I am having the damn nerve to defy beebeard and risk a future of damnation if I dare. I say no to k love and do not want to touch that salary cap eating tomato can. How dare me.