1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serious question about people's crush on Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chenjy9, Jan 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Al Jefferson JUST turned 28 last week.

<table class="no_highlight wide_table"><tbody><tr class=""><td class="align_right">
    </td><td class="align_left">
    </td><td class="align_right">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>Ersan Ilyasova WS/48 - .185

Ilyasova is BETTER than them all, better than DIRK Nowitzki :eek:

:grin:

I think Love would be a nice fit in Houston. He wouldnt be a stopper on D or anything. Though not like Marcus Morris and Patrick Patterson are locking down anyone.

2. teebone21

teebone21 Member

He is best pf in the east what more is needed. His defense and above the rim play is sorely needed

3. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

LOL @ the beard with the nobody-knows-what

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

If Love isn't available, I wouldnt mind Josh Smith as along as two issues are settled. One, how well he ages, and I'm sure the Rockets have enough of a database to make a better guess than me in this regards. Two, his outside shooting. Basically, can he make enough threes to keep the lane unclogged for our guards. Something that rockets scouts need to make sure.

Josh Smith is an elite defender. DPOY impact. Absolutely dominant both in man to man, help defense, and rebounds well. He can also defend multiple positions. He's also a great finisher at the rim on offense. If he signs here as a FA, I would immediately count on 50-55 wins next year at least.

But Love is still by far #1 on the PF wish list.

5. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

what the hell is that thing harden is holding!? lmao hahahaha thats so random

6. Laborer

Laborer Member

An overlooked reason is that I think our second star needs to be a more vocal leader than Harden. Harden is a true alpha male in his playing style, but I don't get the impression that he rallies the guys around him.

Love is that kind of personality. He becomes the voice of the team and features a playing style that doesn't clash with Lin/Harden. Josh Smith I believe also can fulfill this leadership role to a similar degree, but I don't think Aldridge/Milsap/Jefferson are vocal enough.

7. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

Josh Smith's defense is highly overrated. He tends to gamble a lot, which results in him getting the occasional steal/block. He also settles for some very poor outside shots (he air balled 2 uncontested shots in the 1st game vs the Rox)

I will not deny his above the rim play, and his rebounding is something that we need at the PF position. But overall, he is not an elite player.

We need K.Love. He brings the perfect inside presence and outside threat that we need. Not too mention, him and McHale have a good past relationship.

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

People in GARM have really under-rated Smith defensive skills. He is an abolutely elite defender. Here are his defensive xRAMP as compared to the best defenders in the league (and Love) for the last 3 years.

2012-2013
    Kevin Garnett +5.5
    Tim Duncan +4.8
    Omer Asik +4.8
    Marc Gasol +4.7
    Josh Smith +4.5
    Dwight Howard +4.2
    Joakim Noah +4.2
    Kevin Love +2.2

2011-2012
    Dwight Howard +7.4
    Tim Duncan +5.6
    Josh Smith +4.9
    Tyson Chandler +4.8
    Omer Asik +4.7
    Andrew Bogut +4.6
    Kevin Garnett +4.6
    Kevin Love +1.5

2010-2011
    Dwight Howard +7.2
    Andrew Bogut +5.6
    Marcus Camby +5.1
    Tim Duncan +5.0
    Kevin Garnett +5.0
    Josh Smith +4.8

The numbers speak for themselves! Despite his outstanding rebounding number, Love is not nearly as an impactful defender as Smith. However, it's not even questionable that Love is a mile ahead of Smith offensively.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I do not like Love any more. He's seriously not 6'10 and probably won't give his best on the rox.

10. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I've been pleasantly surprised that Atlanta hasn't really missed a beat from trading away Joe Johnson for essentially expirings, and as unlikely as it seems, Josh Smith is holding that team together (recent losing streak notwithstanding).

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I apologize that this question seems silly to some of you. I only ask, because I do not personally no much except that he can shoot from downtown, gobbles up a lot of rebounds, and is currently out due to repeated hand injuries. I know how good LMA can be and how good of a defender Smith is, but not much about Love except for his fantasy numbers, which can be easily inflated on a team as bad as the Wolves.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

FYI it's the London Olympic Mascot... seems like a cyclops

13. jmart

jmart Member

I personally think Josh Smith is way under rated by the casual fan, probably for the same reason guys like Javale McGee are ... he does dumb stuff. In his case, ill advised long jumpers. He is an elite physical talent though, who does alot of stuff at an elite level. He would be a fantastic addition to this team.

Love however is even more under rated. He is injured this season. Came back too soon, is out of shape as he can't lift weights (apparently) because of the injury. He is however the perfect compliment for Harden's game and is one of the best PFs in the game. I don't think he totally has a game that suits being the 'man' but along side Harden and with Asik protecting the rim. Championship contenders within a few years. I have no doubts about that.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

who underrated Javale McGee? He's properly rated.... a 20 mpg backup who is solid in that role, but not an all-star or anything.

People see Smith's positives... and also his negatives.

For what it's worth, I think his positives generally outweigh his negatives and would be in favor of acquiring him via trade if you don't give up very much given he's a FA.

15. jmart

jmart Member

My impression is that people think McGee is a bum, or at least too dumb to be a contributor. He really does alter every shot at the rim. A very important skill. He also seems to be a great finisher around the basket. I think he will start as early as next season.

16. jmart

jmart Member

Of course, my impression could be wrong. It's mostly just people I talk to about b-ball.

17. VanityHalfBlack

Let's not kid ourselves here, Red Nation would be happy with any of those 4's you mentioned...

18. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I know you're joking, but Ilyasova is an interesting guy for comparison. He had a monster year last year, though it looks like it was purely playing for a contract. From my limited watching of him, he seems to me to be a high-level role player, not the kind of guy who can create a shot or create mismatches on his own. The difference between him and Love is like the difference between Kevin Martin and Harden. Not that obvious in the basketball reference or espn stats, but a world apart on the floor. To tell this, you have to watch what role they have on each play. I'd bet Morey uses the synergy data to distinguish players at this level.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

Josh will be 28 in December, and his game completely depends on elite athleticism. I'm not sure if he's the type that can adjust his style to remain competitive over time, the way KG and others have.

That being said, he's by far the most accessible PF since we will have the cap space to sign him as a free agent in the summer while not giving up any of our prospects.

20. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

Are people forgetting that K.Love had a streak of 53 double-doubles last season that lasted 4 months?? Thats the most of any player in 30+ years..Plus he had a 30pt/30r game.

Injuries aside, he is the elite PF in NBA