1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sergio Llull: 2010-2011 Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, May 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's interesting how we have all these nice assets. As fans, we aren't used to having value at almost every roster spot. Even the players we just have rights to have value.

After a decade of Cato/Maloney/Stromile/MoTaylors, it's hard for fans to get their arms around trading good assets for better assets. We want to hang on to the good players we have without considering what we could get in return.

When we lost Landry, everyone (including me) was freaking out. With the emergence of Scola as a durable, almost 20-10 guy, and Hill's development, the loss of Landry doesn't seem so bad.

I love the idea of Llull, but then I love AB and Lowry. We can't play them all. I trust Morey to properly asses their value and make decisions accordingly.

2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

The key thing I think many are missing in this thread... Llull is locked up in the Euroleague for another year, unless we buy him out and take the cap space hit.

We are more likely to draft a backup PG, then pay to have Llull brought over seas.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I would argue that his trade value is probably inflated, not low, right now because he's unknown.

NBA draft history is littered with high schoolers and euro players drafted far too high because of what they *could* be. 3- and 4- yr college guys saw their stock drop simply because scouts settled on what their ceiling was.

Pretty dumb, but NBA execs are happy to pass on solid prospects to dig through longshots because *maybe* they might turn up a star. Maybe!

Heck - look at our fascination with every overseas prospect we get - V-Span, Badaine, now Lull. Until they hit town, we're convinced they'll pan out. Look at the panting over Rubio. He could be a bust like Sarunas Jasikevicius (he was TOTALLY a sure thing after the way hvane killed USA in international play).

Personally I'm all for moving him in a trade for a known commodity. I can count the number of upper end foreign guards on a single hand.

E

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, if Colangelo likes Llul enough for a Bosh trade, then yeah, sure he's gone. But considering it's not Colangelo's call but rather Bosh's, I don't see how that makes Llul trade bait. And as far as value being high/low, I'm speaking in relative terms. That is,

Llul's value to the Rockets > Llul's value on the market.

If what you say is true, then my statement would make more sense, not less. NBA scouting of Europe isn't nearly the extent of NBA player scouting. Yes, a few teams who heavily scouts Euro players and generally meticulous would know Llul's value, and that includes the Rockets. But EVERY team in the NBA has full scouting reports and knowledge of Brooks and Lowry in their ability. Hence, the market for Llul would be limited to teams who scout heavily AND want a point guard. And the market for Brooks/Lowry would be all teams who want a PG.

Ironically, you would be correct about Llul's value if he's not actually a great prospect. Because at least he's an "accomplished" prospect, which gives him some value to some teams, but no value to us because he's not good enough.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Looking at the highlights, he reminds me of Goran Dragic.

Aaron and Kyle are still young and could be the PG nucleus for a very long time, so unless Kyle bolts for a richer contract that is too rich for the Rockets' liking, I don't see the need for Llull anytime soon.

I'd imagine that the Rockets will try to get value back for Lull's rights if we don't see the need of bringing him over, we spent 2.25 mill to buy his draft rights.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

And what if Brooks bolts for a richer contract that is too rich for the Rockets' liking NEXT summer?

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It is my fervent wish that AB proves his worth for a contract of monstrous proportions that is worth it for the Rox to match.

Go AB, Go Browery - earn gabillions on the court in the name of Hou-ston Rock-ets!

Make Les pay More! :cool:

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's why I think there is a non-negligible chance that Brooks will be traded...not sure, just my gut feeling. They know he will command a lot of money next summer and I'm not sure they want to pay that kind of money. He's good, but I wonder how much they are willing to pay for him.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How does a team win if they are afraid of paying their best players as they improve?

Don't you think they will WANT to pay a guy that is performing because it gives them a better chance at winning it all?

IMO, they will either offer him a decent extension that they are happy with or do what they did with Lowry and make him a restricted free agent...this is scary though as the price could go beyond what they want to pay.

I would offer him a good sized extension....

DD

10. rivo

rivo Member

Real Madrid is pursuing points guards all around Europe recently. If Houston lose Lowry, there is a chance that Morey would buyout Llull's contract and bring him to the Rockets. If we keep Lowry, Llull would stay in Spain.

It would be interesting to see if Llull would get some minutes under Brooks and Llull. He is a combo-guard. But his height and strength is not enough for an NBA shooting guard. If Brooks or Lowry leaves, he could be a good backup PG, maybe better than Dragic in Phoenix.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Whatever happened to the talk of the Rockets making a run at recently crowned Euroleague MVP Milos Teodosic, who himself is a 6-5 PG?

No doubt nabbing Teodosic would impact Llull's future with the Rockets.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Well the Rockets need to figure what direction they want to go at that point, because they are developing AB to be a major piece of their near future plans. I'd imagine that they want to offer AB an extension before that summer, so that issue won't come about. It's different planning to me when treating your starting PG's contract situation to your backup PG, I'd think the Rockets would have a little more emphasis in locking up AB longterm.

Of course if AB rejects the extension talks and wants to test restricted free agency, then that will force the Rockets into the possibility of thinking about moving on without AB if some other team offers more than the Rockets are willing to spend. I don't think we bought Llull's rights for that situation, but yes he is an option if AB leaves. I don't know if Morey was planning on Lowry starting and Llull backing up (or a rookie Llull starting) as our ideal PG situation, but yeah that could happen.

13. anchel

anchel Member

I've heard that Real Madrid has signed Sergio Rodriguez for the next year. A rumour.

Llull has played all his minutes as SG in the last 3 months, that's bad news for the Rockets. I don't know what will happen with him next year. The club will sign another PG for sure, and Prigioni will continue on the team. However and considering he will be 34 and he's declining his level, I could see him as the 3rd PG of the team in a role of veteran. Only in this situation Llull would return to the PG position. If he completes another whole year playing as SG it's gonna be difficult for him to go to the US and return to the PG position after two years without smelling it. Obviously thinking in NBA, the best thing for his formation is to play PG minutes, get experience and improve his weaknesses at that position. We'll see, I'll try to keep the forum updated.

14. MadRox

MadRox Member

I too wouldn't be surprised if Morey package AB while his value is high for a big name, then bring in Llull to fill the PG position.
    Somehow I kept seeing a mini version of Ginobili when I watch Llull's game: ability to get to the hoop, handles the ball well going through traffic full speed, not afraid to take big shots, effective driving to either the left or right, and very creative. Llull does have same problem as AB though, he get caught alot jumping in the air before he know what to do with the ball haha. He improved his shooting this year, but still need to work on his lackadaisical defense. Lastly, he wears #23 jersey, he must be good right? lol

15. escadawg

escadawg Member

I don't know much about Llull, but I think the bold move is to trade AB, start Lowry and bring in Llull to see what he can do.

AB is good, he's an almost all-star, but he's not that good. I think of AB as a poor man's AI in his prime. Quick, deadly scoring, a player that the defense needs to watch at all times, but small, and poor defender.

At crunch time, and in the playoffs, when the refs stop calling everything except obvious fouls, AB's game will go down. We should trade him when his value is high...say to the timberwolves as part of a package for Al Jefferson.

1 person likes this.
  16. opticon

opticon Member

Aaron is a great point guard but his biggest weakness ( his defense ) is one of the key things you need to win in the playoffs. Both Teams in the finals have point guards who are above average defenders. Fisher is not the defender he once was but in his prime was top notch. Rondo's defense speaks for its self.

Really it comes down to what Morey Values more High scoring at the point or high scoring at the 2. Either way by the trade deadline if we are not on pace to win 50 games somebody is getting traded. And brooks has the easier contract of the two players to move.

Luil seems to have a really nice game but Im sure the rockets want to see him in summer league or do some heavy workouts with him before the hitch there wagon to him.

17. Zfan

Zfan Member

Llull is a nice backup combo guard in Europe league. He's nice but I don't think he's an ideal AB replacement.

18. DaDakota

I love how people want to replace the guy who just won Most Improved player, was like the 19th highest scoring player in the entire NBA as a first time starter, and basically had to play with 3 anchors on offense in Hayes, Battier and Trevor....

I mean Aaron Brooks was not good last season, he was flat out amazing.....and he is only going to get better.

He had some ups and downs....as EVERY NBA player does, but he generally outplayed his assignment on a night in and night out basis....

FIRST YEAR starting PGs...that win MIP.....do not get traded, they get paid....

DD

19. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

as long as we get value back.

20. DaDakota

Teams that keep switching players do not win rings.....got to build around what you have....not make wholesale changes.

How is Steve Nash doing in Dallas these days?

DD