1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serge Ibaka traded to Toronto for Terrence Ross and 1st round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Feb 14, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They should trade Jonas. Casey doesn't like him anyway lol.

Vivi likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

The lesser in value. So right now the no.25 pick I think.

heypartner likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

How do you know? Are you in the proceedings? Btw it wouldnt have been done because the salaries dont match

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I didn't say the Magic are garbage for getting Ibaka. The Ibaka experiment was an abject failure. There's really no other way to describe it and it plays into my larger point that this is a lost organization with little direction or hope. I also further question their judgement if they seriously viewed Ibaka as anything even remotely resembling a franchise player. Which is how many interpreted the original move to acquire him. That was a franchise player haul they forked over to get him.

As for Oladipo, us armchair GM's can have a million different opinions on players, their upside, etc. It appears you're arguing a [then 23-year-old] Oladipo has/had less of a chance of developing into a star than [a quite obviously peaked] Ibaka. Something you and I will most certainly never agree on.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Please tell me who the Rockets are going to sign in free agency that is better than Serge Ibaka?

At some point, you have to consider the prime of James Harden and do what it takes to make the team better.

Yes the Rockets would have to resign Ibaka, but I don't see much out there better and realistic.

malakas likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well you can disagree but you are not an insider so what basis do you have for disagreeing when you dont even know what talks are going down and which players are available at what price?

I dont even know what you mean by superstar or scrub Rockets have traded for all types of players, for example they got Shane Battier and Luis Scola who are neither superstars nor srcubs.

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I think a locked in Ibaka would have been a game-changer. More so as a trade-chip and draw for other players to sign, but I agree their GM is not great, they should have kept losing and valued their picks more, but it takes a brave owner to let his team lose (something owners should be willing to do). They took a shot at Ibaka to stay competitive and with him hinting at leaving it became a bad move, but it wasn't the worst trade ever. I agree that they are an organization that is stuck and will continue to be stuck, but the draft hasn't scored them that star either. I will submit that they aren't a great organization, but they are in the same position as so many other teams trying ANYTHING to get a star without tanking..

8. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Agreed. Morey should do it
    Big mistake by the rockets
    Ibaka is an elite player, top defender and great 3% shooter.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well assets+guy on same level as Ibaka> Ibaka no?

The thing is Im not sure if it will make the team better. First of all you dont know Ibaka's asking price, if he wants 25M+ then the Rox cant afford him and just lost.good players for nothing. Secondly Ibaka wont move the needle much this season. So its like a lot of risk for no gain move. You lose out on assets for a guy you can get in the summer.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oh yeah, i totally agree with this (obviuosly) and this is basically the move i'd like to see happening most at this point.

11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Not saying that at all. Orlando obviously felt he had hit his ceiling, and I'm probably agreeing with that right now, but I'm actually not saying I'd value one over the other. It was a BAD trade, but it took Oladipo to get Ibaka and they valued Evan Fournier more as a starter. I'm simply defending how tough it is to get out of that treadmill spot of not having elite talent and not wanting to tank. Daryl is fantastic and bailed us out with Harden, but if not for OKC undervaluing James we would still be stuck as well. Magic thought maybe OKC (with Russ and KD taking the offense) were underutilizing Ibaka, and that he may be capable of more. They were wrong, he is capped out as a very solid starter. Very bad trade in hindsight...

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Vienna Calling

I'm fine with not getting Ibaka. He's just not as impactful as he was a couple of years ago IMHO. And he would have been mighty expensive this summer. And he's not a great rebounder.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

so Harrell + 1st and filler wouldn't have got it done ?

15. malakas

malakas Member

16. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Yep, I agree! Nothing like settling, waiting until the last moment, and reactive mentality.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, check Chris Vivlamore tweets from yesterday (i posted that in another thread, the random trade ideas i think), Bud said Millsap was definitely off the market.

EDIT:

malakas likes this.
  18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Well, I agree its difficult to get out of that rut. You're absolutely right about that and often times teams have to gamble in order to do so.

All I'm saying is I felt at the time Orlando overpaid and today's panic move to get at least something makes their bottom line on the Ibaka trade much worse than just a failed experiment. It was a disaster. Not only that they still gave out that massive contract to Biyombo, the Hezonja situation is a mess, none of their young players are any good and/or look like starters in this league. The only thing they have going for them is their best player only makes $12M/year and might appear enticing to a contender looking to get over the hump. Hell, maybe they'll reverse their fortunes and get an Ibaka-level haul for Vucevic, should they decide to move him.

In any event, I don't envy Orlando Magic fans. Right now...nor ever.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea PPat is one of those Battier types who has a huge team effect,

How about Danillo Gallinari?

Gallo + Dekker + Harrell + Our pick > Ibaka

#159 larsv8, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Chamillionaire and BigMaloe like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

First, please tell me what player the Rockets are going to be able to sign that is equal to Ibaka?

The likely cost would have been the Rockets #1 and either Dekker or Harrell.

Will the Rockets want to play $25,000,000 a year on Ibaka? No.... but I ask you, who can the Rockets add that is a long term piece and a piece right now? I don't see anyone that the Rockets could add.

Ibaka would have added another core player and likely would have been able to lock him up. Also, Ibaka is likely the difference between losing in the second round and a WCF appearance....... and there is always a chance of injury, knocking the Warriors down a peg.

Morey decided not to get Ibaka...... or Alexander told him not to get Ibaka, I don't know....... lets just hope they don't regret adding a player in Ibaka that would be a very good fit with the Rockets.

FTW Rockets FTW and justtxyank like this.