1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Send them back to Michigan....they both want to go!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AT, Nov 30, 2000.

1. AT

AT Member

Apologies. I was pretty sure your post mentioned Shandon and Mo but it may have been someone else.

Anyways. You're still dancing around the argument. We have plenty of people who can get a shot off. And at crunch time. What we don't have is someone who can go get a board when we need it. A rebound can be just as big in the clutch as a basket and it is a skill we are currently lacking.

As I see it...it boils down to this. You would rather have a soft power forward with a slightly above-average offensive game on your team at crunch time as a potential second option to Francis/Mobley and I would rather have a banger who will do everything in his power to get me that next rebound so that Mobley and or Francis can reload and win the game.

------------------
    "He said hop on his back and he was goin' ta take us to the promise land...and that' what he done." -- Robert Horry '95

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I really don't know what game you have been watching. Mo does shoot a lot from the outside, but I have seen him go inside a lot as well. He has a nice hook shot, a turnaround jumper, and offensively I've seen him banging down low with some of the better PF's in the league from time to time. I know he likes to shoot jumpers, and he's pretty good at it. But that's not all he does. Mo does have an inside game, but not many people seemingly have noticed. You may think Mo is a bust so far, and there's nothing I can do about that. But I will guarantee you one thing- I'm not pretending here. I like what I've seen from Mo, and think he'll be a valuable addition long-term here. I definitely could be wrong- I admit that. But I have been pleased with Mo so far, as hard as that may be for some of you to understand.

------------------
    President of the Jason Collier fan club!

Looking for next year's Jason Collier or Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

3. AT

AT Member

REBOUND. Please just say REBOUND one time!!

You can't. At least not in the same sentence as the words "Maurice", "Taylor", or "Mo".

------------------
    "He said hop on his back and he was goin' ta take us to the promise land...and that' what he done." -- Robert Horry '95

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

we have enough one-on-one players with Cat, Steve and Moochie. I don't want a power forward experimenting with a crossover dribble. get in the post and bang.

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I don't know if anyone else has posted a link to this article, but John Lopez had a good column on Mo Taylor in the Chronicle earlier in the week.
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/lopez/758927

Here's some quotes:

-Still, for Maurice Taylor this mismatch at the Compaq Center Tuesday night was the first of a three-game stretch when he could have begun shaking a growing opinion around the Western Conference that he is not exactly the inside, post-up force the Rockets had hoped to have.

-He certainly has the muscle and mass to play the inside game and from the moment he arrived in Rockets camp has professed a desire to be an inside presence. But most of Taylor's points continue to come from jumpers, fadeaways and short lay-ins.

-If you are the Rockets, it might be time to begin wondering if you're getting everything you paid for with the one-year, $2.25 million free agent contract Taylor signed this offseason.

-Put it this way: A starting power forward in the NBA averaging four rebounds per game is like a starting first baseman in the major leagues hitting single-digit home runs.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited December 01, 2000).]

6. treeman

treeman Member

I like outlaw's take.

Get in there, Mo, get a bruise or two, a busted lip - hell lose a tooth if you have to. That's what dentists are for. Do what you've gotta do and you'll make that max - the docs will fix most of it. Don't do it - and I guess you won't have to worry about any busted teeth, will you? That won't be #1 on the worry list...

Just asking for effort. Motivated effort... Brutal, if you can work it - bust the other guy's jaw, so you don't have to worry about it yourself... (I've always been a fan of putting someone else out by injury - only when you can avoid going out, too). Mean, but it works.

------------------

7. Thanos

Thanos Member

Right now, the Raptors should be feeling real lucky about not spending 6-7 million per year on a PF that doesn´t average even 4 rebounds per game...

laughable.

------------------
    "I have posted so much that what I say must be true"