1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Selling Hunting Rifles in Harris County

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Nov 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have any of you ever sold your personal hunting rifles?

My dad no longer hunts and has a couple of deer rifles (probably 243s) and a shotgun to sell. Is there an easy way to do this? I don't think he is too concerned about how much money he makes, he simply doesn't use them any more.

Are there any legal ramifications to selling to individuals?

Thanks for any information.

2. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

He can sell them to whoever he wants. There is nothing legally that needs to be done to sell a gun in Texas since guns are not registered here. Send me an email through the board. I may be interested in buying.

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Its never a bad idea to create a receipt when you sell a firearm with all the information about the gun itself, signed by the seller and the buyer.

It covers you a little bit if the firearm is used in some kind of crime down the road.

4. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Like I said before guns in Texas aren't registered. How can you trace an unregistered firearm back to original owner when there is no record of it?

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guns are traced by the ATF based on the original serial number from the factory, to the distributor, to the original gun shop, and then to the original owner.

If a gun is used in a crime, the original owner will be located and questioned. I am required to keep all 4473's and if the ATF calls and asks who I sold a gun to, I have to tell them.

6. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

You can sell them to Carter's Country for slightly less than you'd get on the market with no hassle.

7. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

before the time of 4473's it is pretty hard to do what you said.

if you have any Remington rifles for sale I would be very interested in one if you will email me please.

8. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Then wipe all the fingerprints off. :D