1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Security Features Blocking Clutchfans

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Haymitch, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Security software at my work is blocking Clutchfans, saying that it's trying to install harmful stuff.

Never seen this before. Just wanted to let everyone know.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Malicious adds, auto play adds, virus pop-ups, attempted hijacking adds, Shockwave crash failures, pop ups and redirects trying to get me to download dumb games...It's honestly hard to even read or browse this place any longer. I've had to install script blocker, add blocker and some other Firefox add ons and I'm still having issues. The script errors won't even let me exit out of the forum to access other stuff on my PC. It's gotten way out of control.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=267069&page=2

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I first got it on the main page. Then closed out and tried going to the GARM from Google. Both gave me the same security threat message (which I've actually never seen from any site before in my 5 years here).

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up, Haymitch.

The problem with advertising is what it shows User A isn't what it shows Users B-Z. None of the advertising should be doing any of that, and I have not seen the problems LonghornFan has listed (other than autoplay video ads in the past, which is something I've been looking into). That doesn't mean it's not happening... but I can't duplicate it so it's hard to fix the problem. Believe me, I don't want ANY of those ads on here.

I've sent in some emails about this today and will start the process of removing blocks of code to remove the problem... but again, it's trying to remove a problem I don't experience and can't see, so that makes it very difficult.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks. And ftr, the security software on my work computer no doubt errs on the side of being too cautious, so that should be considered.

Just wanted to let others know about this because I know how crappy it can be to get viruses on your work computer (I still won't go to Draft Express at work since the virus it gave me in 2012).

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well shiiiiiit

It appears multiple sites are giving me this warning message. So maybe it's not CF after all?

Sorry Clutch!

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Once again, thank you Clutch for everything you do to accommodate us! I haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood) on this site, regardless I do appreciate you keeping us informed and trying to resolve the issues my brehs are having!!!

GO ROCKETS!!!

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What exactly did the message look like? You say you've never seen it before in 5 years working there. Can you reproduce it and take a screen shot. It should have info in it that can help determine the cause

9. heypartner

Keep in mind, an unconfirmed virus that scares ppl is "crappy" for admins like Clutch who otherwise aren't at fault, if it turns out to be a false report.

10. heypartner

This doesn't sound like a warning message at all. I'm willing to be the "warning message" is actually a virus faking you into believing it's your security software, so that you click something. Those get my mom all the time.

And I'm willing to bet that virus was *not* delivered to you via google ads from Clutch's site. You've been attacked from another site, and might have mistakenly blamed Clutch.

11. heypartner

Can you reproduce these easily? On both PC and mobile?

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Lol heyp slow down.

No virus. It was my work's own security software that was mistakenly identifying nonharmful websites (CF, Chron, Slickdeals) as harmful, when using Chrome as the browser. They sent out an email about it today.

Already said I was sorry. Just trying to help my CFers out!

The one time I did get a legit virus was reading Nikola Morotic's profile on Draft Express. And it was a bad virus. Made me look bad having to explain it to my many bosses at work (though the IT guys didn't care). They didn't understand why I'd look into such a thing on what they thought was a sketchy site. I'm pretty sure they never believed my story and just thought I got it from a pr0n site - even though I forwarded one of them an email from Jonathan Givony explaining it!

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I got a pop-up ad just now that auto-played a video with sound

I also had an auto-download of "chrome_patch.hta", which Chrome blocked and notified me was malicious.

These came on the page after I replied to a thread (seemingly on the submit)

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem is that hackers are beginning to use advertising as a means to install crap on people's computers. What I had to do - and not just for this site but in general - is to set my browser to disable all plugins. Since then things run faster and I don't get any pop-ups or virus download attempts.

The downside is that I have to right click and enable any plugin each time i want to watch a video in a player - but it's worth it.

I still see non-flash ads.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A minor annoyance for the world of pain if your computer gets infected.

In all fairness draftexpress does sound like a eurotrashy mail order bride website.