1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seattle mayoral candidates pushing for $15+/hr min wage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by robbie380, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You can't seriously be arguing that the workers at a nice restaurant, or hell even at a Applebee's, make the same wages that people at McDonald's do, are you?

I have to question whether you've shopped at one if you can argue that the items are largely identical. Have you ever seen a Walmart sell 20 or 50 lbs of meat at a time, or gallon sized tubs of medicine or whatever? Not to mention that last sentence acknowleges my argument of "Costco can do its stuff because it has a wealthier clientele compared to Walmart."

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Most restaurants have this thing called tip share. A percentage of the tips collected to to the hostesses, busboys and dishwashers. The remainder get split amongst the wait staff.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

WAIT!!! You can get high and make $15 an hour.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The 'health' of a societies economy depends on the amount of transactions circulating through it. Lower wages and wealth inequality yield stagnant economies with little incentive for investment and innovation. The Fed is pumping out liquidity trying to jump start this process but it seems to me it's being smothered by banks just recirculating the cash back through the government, getting 0% loans to buy 2% treasuries. It would seem a worthwhile experiment to me to mandate higher wages to both create a greater cash flow through the system and add a sense of dignity to work.

5. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

What does the disclosure about the state of Washington at the end of most job applications say?